Thunder Express

Swede

logga.jpg

You will have to check out Thunder Express.

They got their name from the old MC5 song (I'd guess) and have released two albums so far. Their latest album is called Republic Disgrace and was released in the fall of 2007. Singer/guitarist Robert "Strings" Dahlqvist co-wrote a couple of songs with Ebbot Lundberg of The Soundtrack Of Our Lives for the new album.

l_1b58379e183682d2c06abeb80a00c279.jpg

I highly recomend to check out their myspace page and listen to Pick It Up, which also features fabulous singer Jaqee on background vocals.

http://www.myspace.com/thunderexpressmusic

The videos for the title track, Republic Disgrace, and New York Gold can be found on youtube:

Here's a review of Republic Disgrace:

i82619qkhsh.jpg

THUNDER EXPRESS IS THE CUTTING EDGE`S PICK FOR RECORD OF THE MONTH!!!

The title, Republic Disgrace, says it all with acid lyrics and sonic

reverberations. The sophomore outing for Thunder Express plays out like

a travel log of the Hellacopter's last US tour. A side project for

Hellacopter guitarist Robert "Strings" Dahlqvist, Thunder Express

allows him to explore deeper territory than his day job including his

own brand of country, soul and R&B. There's the catchy little ditty

"New York Gold," the caustic "Vegas" and the farewell "Leaving With

Ease" that all come together in a very personal ­ very 70s-styled

groove. Where the first Thunder Express record was influenced by late

60's Detroit rawk, Republic Disgrace tips its hat more to the Rolling

Stones. The same friendly Dahlqvist licks are there from the frantic

strumming of "Switch" to the manic intro in "Vegas" and Robert Pehrsson

(rhythm and lead guitar), Jens Lagergren (bass) and Jesper Karlsson

(drums) are there to help get the emotion just right.

In this outfit Dahlqvist sings as well as plays guitar. He makes for a

capable vocalist and actually finds his foray in the rhythm and

blues-soaked title track "Republic Disgrace." Joining him is the

brilliant Jaqee on duet and backing vocals. She is the soul that makes

the song unique. Her quivering high pitched caterwaul defines passion

and, mixed with the guitar strut and dirty solo, grinds out a perfect

roadhouse classic. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree and several

songs could easily be Hellacopter outtakes including the garage rocker

"Switch," the catchy "Everybody Knows about a Broken Heart" and the

riff-heavy "From Pleasure To Pain." All have landmark hooks in the

chords that keep them around long after they're gone. Yet, it's the

mold-breaking "Matrimotion" that makes Thunder Express stand on its

own. The languid country-vibe of the song is unique to Dahlqvist as he

keeps the structure simple with emphasis on the vocals in a Tom Waits/

Nick Cave kinda way.

New Orleans/Nashville songwriter Anders Osborne is Robert's cousin and

recently scored a number one hit with Tim McGraw in "Watch the Wind

Blow By." He lends his pen to Dahlqvist on the mid-tempo "Pick It Up" a

raw blues stomper that follows the Jon Spencer meets The Black Keys

instrumental "Hellberg's Lament." Maintaining his pure love of Kiss the

guitarist can't resist throwing in the slick "New York Gold" with its

Stooges surf riff. "Vegas" is obviously the thriller of the set. A

story about last year's Hellacopter's tour, it pokes fun at every city

they played and the woeful mishaps along the way. The song climaxes

with the chorus, "Trouble's gonna follow us down the road / and I need

someone to lean on." At the production helm is Mattias Bärjed

(Soundtrack of Our Lives) who find the band's voice in the Pink

Floyd-ish "Panic" - a gem if ever there was one.

Check it out at: www.thecutting-edge.net. Click on "News."

• 1 month later...

Here's the second video from Thunder Express' album "Republic Disgrace". Directed by Robinovich.

Thunder Express' first single/video from their second album "Republic Disgrace". This track is written by Robert Dahlqvist/Ebbot Lundberg and produced by Mattias Bärjed. Video is produced by Wreck.

EDIT: Oops, didn't realise I already posted the links for both videos.. Oh well, see it as a gentle reminder to check 'em out! :beer:

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a great review of Republic Disgrace:

http://shuffleboil.com/2007/10/26/review-t...ublic-disgrace/

A few years ago I became obsessed with the ‘70s influenced classic rock sounds coming out of Sweden — bands like Gluecifer, The Flaming Sideburns, Sewergrooves and, most notably, The Hellacopters, for whom time seemed to stand still after 1978. When bell-bottom jeans and halter tops were high fashion. The alcohol of choice in wooded make out areas were Schlitz Beer and Peppermint Schnaaps. The coolest men wore cheesy moustaches and the easiest girls could be found at the roller rink.

Though the “sounds of the seventies” have long since given way to ‘80s glam sheen, ‘90s grunge, gangsta rap, bubblegum pop and Indie twee, these groups never gave up the dream of eight track stereo superstardom.

Most of those bands didn’t make much of a dent, but one, ex-Entombed drummer Nikke Anderson’s The Hellacopters, managed to break away from the pack, scoring a deal first with Sub Pop records in the early ‘00s, then going for the big time with Gearhead and Universal. World tours followed.

After 13 years, six strong albums (their seventh will come out next year), The Hellacopters are calling it quits. Not sure why yet, but, rest assured I will investigate. Thankfully, the members of The Hellacopters all have indulged themselves in side projects and one of those is led by lead guitarist, Robert “strings” Dahlqvist. A gutsy little quartet called, appropriately, “Thunder Express,” taking their name from an old MC5 song and further cementing the group’s retro devotion.

Let me start off by saying that I love everything about Thunder Express. I love their carefully designed logo, reminiscent of the emblem-happy stadium rock era. In the tradition of Van Halen, Queen, Yes and Molly Hatchet, Thunder Express employs a circle around the band’s name which resemble train tracks jabbed by three ZZ Top-ian lightning bolts, thus giving themselves the impression of branding. The branding bands of the ‘70s would employ; prideful, with one eye on t-shirt sales and the other on that bored kid in history class who would adorn his notebooks with etchings of his favorite groups’ insignia. Weezer tried the same thing a few years ago but, to me, it came off as callous pandering; a gimmick. TE’s logo doesn’t feel like it’s aping the era as much as it desperately wants to be a part of it.

Another thing I love about Thunder Express is “Strings” Dahlqvist. There is a tonnage of band members through rock history who have christened themselves everything from “Vicious” to “Fingers” to “Fratelli” to “Ramone.” The simplicity of this lead guitarist calling himself “Strings.” well, that’s just downright provincial. It’s cool because it’s just so damned uncool. Beyond the name, however, I love “Strings” the player. He never overpowers but you know that he could. He takes center stage when he needs to and sits back to let the rhythm section do their thing. He’s a mediocre vocalist but no worse than many rock singers. He just seems to love being in a band. And making these kinds of records.

The first CD from Thunder Express was a sketchy affair. That album, “We Play for Pleasure” opened with two dynamite hook laden, big chorus tracks, “Off I go” and “Get Back In.” Explosions that took their cue as much from The Rolling Stones as The Faces and, to a lesser extent, Cheap Trick. The rest of that album was as derivative as any other “Me Decade” revival bands and it might have been tossed into the cutout bin had it not been for the exquisite hummability of those two songs as well as Dahlqvist’s pedigree. The production was mediocre, tinny and weak, and the arrangements, while ambitious, were hollow.

I am pleased to say that Thunder Express’s second album “Republic Disgrace” is a vast improvement. This time employing guitarist Mattias Berjred from The Soundtrack of Our Lives as producer, Dahlqvist and the gang have traded in their slavish “Exile on Main St.” obsession to worship at the altar of Zeppelin and Skynyrd with a dash of Floyd. As disciples rather than clones they’ve served themselves well with this shift in tone and dynamic. While some might decry the familiarity in styles I say, “Huzzah!” because as much as I like Zep I have heard it. If someone wants to make music like that, and it’s good stuff, well, that’s welcome to my ears.

Lyrically, Dahlqvist once again hands the chores off to others. He’s a guitarist not a lyricist and he recognizes this. While the lyrics are about as poignant as they were on “We Play for Pleasure” i.e. barely, they serve the songs well, only this time they have more balls and aren’t afraid to rock out.

On the title track Dahlqvist sings “Do you wanna’ play detective with a fucked up mind, do you wanna’ solve a mental case?” and that’s about as deep as we get. But, hey, we didn’t know or care about what a “hedgerow” was, remember? TE inherently knows that it’s not about spilling your guts, crying to that girl, attacking political regimes. Sometimes you just wanna rock.

On “We Play for Pleasure” Thunder Express was doing just what the title proclaimed. On “Republic Disgrace” the pleasure is still there but they brought the bottom with them. They have widened their sound, dropped some of the horns, cranked up the harmonica and piano and created a more aural experience. In a way, they sound more like Dahlqvist’s other band, The Hellacopters, during their heyday. And this is a good thing.

Taken track by track, there isn’t anything on “Republic Disgrace” nearly as instantaneously memorable as those two first cuts from “We play for Pleasure,” only the lick-heavy first single “Vegas” comes close but taken in its entirety, this album is a much more satisfying experience than it’s predecessor and gives a good indication of what the future may hold. With The Hellacopters flying off into the sunset, I’m glad Thunder Express will be around to satisfy my retro-rock jones.

• 3 months later...

I went to some bar yesterday to see these guys play. It was the second time around for me, and I sure will catch them next time they play here again.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, check 'em out for some great rock'n'roll!

Words about their latest release:

Thunder Express is: Robert Dahlqvist, Jens Lagegren, Jesper Karlsson, Robert Pehrsson

Thunder Express

"Republic Disgrace"

(Razzia records)

"Thunder Express claim retro-pop-garage-rock hooks and spit them out with muscle and blood, and the guitar solos will leave your speakers smoldering" Cutting Edge on "We Play For Pleasure"

When Robert Dahlqvist, also guitarist of The Hellacopters, released his first album with Thunder Express, you had to be cut in stone not to be moved by the hybrid of Rolling Stones, Faces and Cheap Trick, and by Robert's mad love for the guitar, which ran as a red line through the entire album.

Thunder Express' second album is even better. In every aspect. If "We Play For Pleasure" was exactly what it stands for, then "Republic Disgrace" stand for even harder work. Robert strived with the songs, the vocals and the arrangements. He was joined by Robert Pehrsson on guitar and harmonies, Jens Lagergren on bass and Jesper Karlsson on drums.

We phoned Mattias Bärjed from The Soundtrack Of Our Lives, the producer of "Republic Disgrace" - He has an awesome sense of melodies, and I wanted to help him preserve that. Now he's a good friend of mine, says Mattias.

Together with Robert Pehrsson, Jens Lagergren and Jesper Karlsson, Mattias Bärjred and Robert Dahlqvist first set out to create something that would sound a bit like Fleetwood Mac's "Then Play On" or Rolling Stone's "Some Girls", but which of course turned out to sound completely different, mainly inspired by Robert's and Mattias' common guitar gods from the seventies.

Robert and Mattias asked Ebbot Lundberg (The Soundtrack Of Our Lives), Nathan Larson (songwriter and producer) and Kenny Håkansson (The Hellacopters) for help. They have all contributed with lyrics on the album. - My cousin wrote the lyrics for one song, says Robert. Robert's cousin is named Anders Osborne, he lives in New Orleans and has written a song for Tim McGraw which made number one on the Billboard chart. What do you think about the lyrics? - They're great. I don't really understand two of Ebbot's, but I don't always get his Soundtrack Of Our Lives lyrics either.

With lyrics written by Ebbot, Nathan, Kenny and the Billboard cousin, with Mattias Bärjed as producer and Björn Olsson as mixer, one could say that Robert has been working with the elite. And Jaqee!, the finest singer of Gothenburg, intensifies the single "Republic Disgrace" with amazing guest vocals. - I never thought of them as the elite, I just asked the people I think are talented.

http://www.thunderexpress.se/

• 1 month later...
I went to some bar yesterday to see these guys play. It was the second time around for me, and I sure will catch them next time they play here again.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, check 'em out for some great rock'n'roll!

Words about their latest release:

Thunder Express is: Robert Dahlqvist, Jens Lagegren, Jesper Karlsson, Robert Pehrsson

Thunder Express

"Republic Disgrace"

(Razzia records)

I will check them out .I already have several of The Soundtrack of our Lives cds

Behind the Mask

Extended Revelation

T.S.O.O.L. Origin Vol 1

all pretty good and managed to see them live opening for Robert Plant in 2005 Nashville Tn Ryman Theater verry good Band

"Thunder Express claim retro-pop-garage-rock hooks and spit them out with muscle and blood, and the guitar solos will leave your speakers smoldering" Cutting Edge on "We Play For Pleasure"

When Robert Dahlqvist, also guitarist of The Hellacopters, released his first album with Thunder Express, you had to be cut in stone not to be moved by the hybrid of Rolling Stones, Faces and Cheap Trick, and by Robert's mad love for the guitar, which ran as a red line through the entire album.

Thunder Express' second album is even better. In every aspect. If "We Play For Pleasure" was exactly what it stands for, then "Republic Disgrace" stand for even harder work. Robert strived with the songs, the vocals and the arrangements. He was joined by Robert Pehrsson on guitar and harmonies, Jens Lagergren on bass and Jesper Karlsson on drums.

We phoned Mattias Bärjed from The Soundtrack Of Our Lives, the producer of "Republic Disgrace" - He has an awesome sense of melodies, and I wanted to help him preserve that. Now he's a good friend of mine, says Mattias.

Together with Robert Pehrsson, Jens Lagergren and Jesper Karlsson, Mattias Bärjred and Robert Dahlqvist first set out to create something that would sound a bit like Fleetwood Mac's "Then Play On" or Rolling Stone's "Some Girls", but which of course turned out to sound completely different, mainly inspired by Robert's and Mattias' common guitar gods from the seventies.

Robert and Mattias asked Ebbot Lundberg (The Soundtrack Of Our Lives), Nathan Larson (songwriter and producer) and Kenny Håkansson (The Hellacopters) for help. They have all contributed with lyrics on the album. - My cousin wrote the lyrics for one song, says Robert. Robert's cousin is named Anders Osborne, he lives in New Orleans and has written a song for Tim McGraw which made number one on the Billboard chart. What do you think about the lyrics? - They're great. I don't really understand two of Ebbot's, but I don't always get his Soundtrack Of Our Lives lyrics either.

With lyrics written by Ebbot, Nathan, Kenny and the Billboard cousin, with Mattias Bärjed as producer and Björn Olsson as mixer, one could say that Robert has been working with the elite. And Jaqee!, the finest singer of Gothenburg, intensifies the single "Republic Disgrace" with amazing guest vocals. - I never thought of them as the elite, I just asked the people I think are talented.

http://www.thunderexpress.se/

I will check them out .I already have several of The Soundtrack of our Lives cds

Behind the Mask

Extended Revelation

T.S.O.O.L. Origin Vol 1

all pretty good and managed to see them live opening for Robert Plant in 2005 Nashville Tn Ryman Theater verry good Band

Hey Al (if I may call you that :) ), I'm glad you got to see Soundtrack! I really like them too. I have seen them a couple of times and they always put on a great show. Great musicians.

I'm sure you'd like Thunder Express too!

• 3 months later...

Thunder Express are releasing a new record TODAY! This time they have decided to call them self "Dundertåget", which is Thunder Express in Swedish. The album is titled "Skaffa ny frisyr", which roughly can be translated to, "Get a new haircut".

If you non-Swedish talking people can get by the fact that they sing in Swedish on this album, I think you will really appreciate it anyway. It f'n rocks!! A lot of the songs can be found in English versions on the Republic Disgrace album. But it's more than the vocals that differs. The songs have been re-recorded and got somewhat a different sound to them.

Here's the new video:

The whole album is streaming right HERE!

dundertaget_skaffanyfrisyr.jpg

• 1 year later...

First single for Dundertåget's (a.k.a. Thunder Express) second album is Bara Till Besvär (roughly translated to: Only/Always Trouble..).

If you can get through the language barrier you will hear a nice rock'n'roll tune with some cool guitars. Here's the video:

Archived