Slate Chocolate Marble
Slate Chocolate Marble

Led Zeppelin Official Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sems Fir

Members
  • Content count

    156
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sems Fir

  1. 20th anniversary led

    I agree Steve, I've only seen the blue flyer. A flyer is way to easy to reproduce. I can't even see a real flyer going for more than a $1.00 due to non demand and how easy it is to reproduce. The $1.00 is probably on the high side of value, but for a $1.00 a copy could be a placeholder in a collection until a blue one becomes available. Robert
  2. 20th anniversary led

    The flyers are worth no more than a $1.00 each to someone who is looking for one. I just picked up some items from the 20th anniversary (unused poster, four used and unused tickets, three keychains, a program, and a shirt) and I'm looking for a flyer and a bag, although both are not a high priority for me. I usually see the flyers on blue paper. If you would like to sell a flyer or two for a $1.00 each please let me know. Good luck. Robert
  3. An exhibition of sorts was done back in 1995 on the Page / Plant tour. There's been several conventions of course and the Knebworth house exhibit. The 1995 tour memorabilia truck had some of Brian Knapp's collection shown. I've uploaded the video walkthrough which you can see by clicking on the links below: I doubt Page would let items such as the Les Paul's and suits out of the Tower house even if heavily insured based on what happened to the Black Beauty all those years ago for an exhibit. At least the guitar was finally returned after all these years. I enjoy collecting and seeing what memorabilia has survived through the years. Ever onward. Robert
  4. The Amsterdam footage can be seen without the sub titles on disc two of the Cosmic Energy dvd "Assemblage" from 2006. One has to wonder what other lost footage is out there waiting to be discovered. Robert
  5. Fantastic as always! This would fit nicely with the acoustic set from the '77 tour, coupled with Bron-Y-Aur Stomp. I'll check out the CD when it is released. Robert
  6. Star Wars for me, but I'm biased. Robert
  7. I'm in Connecticut and cd's and stereo's do quite well. It could be a generational thing though. I have a basic stereo setup and still utilize a portable cd player and walkman. My friend who owns a music store started selling turntables again. I was at Best Buy and there was a whole aisle devoted to stereo systems. Hopefully someone will be able to make a deal for your cd's. Good luck. Robert
  8. R.I.P. Jason. You created a marvelous hotel. You will be missed. Robert
  9. Reunited at least on a forum. Robert
  10. While searching regarding the topic I found a post made by swandown in the thread titled "Jimmy Page On This Day (Archive)" on August 17, 2011 page 16 that reads "I read way back in 1995 that it was changed because Y'allah translated to "Oh God" in certain dialects". Robert
  11. I'll dig through past issues of the magazines I have from around that time frame to see if I can find an explanation. I know "Yallah" was retitled to "The Truth Explodes" when the initial VHS tape was released in 1995. There is a notation in the guitar tab transcription book for No Quarter that was released in 1996 that states that the then updated title of "The Truth Explodes" was "released in some territories using a different title" So the change was made long before the tenth anniversary reissue. Robert
  12. Hi Staci! Congrats on the book! I hope everything is going well. Did you end up selling all of your collection or do you still have some items left over? I'll pick up a copy of the book. 8>) I'll see if I can locate some sites that you may be able to promote the book on. Have a good one. Robert
  13. Select the hyperlink I included above to check out the LP, the bow, and the vox petal. Generally, it's more difficult to sculpt a human face than an animal or fantasy creature. Overall, the custom is well done. One has to remember the size of the piece. What's involved. Sculpting out of clay, wax, creating a hardcopy etc. For me Serang's custom puts the 2007 KnuckleBonz Jimmy Page Rock Iconz statue to shame. NECA's version was pretty good. The sculptor has to take into account the shrinkage when the piece goes into production and detail gets lost etc. If one looks compares hardcopy next to an engineering pilot for example you can see the size difference between the two and see that some detail gets lost. The poppy suit seems to give the effect of a slimmer frame on the body. The outfits are extremely well done. To each their own. Robert
  14. For Those interested: http://serang.tistory.com/category/Art Shop https://www.facebook.com/kimserang You have to register to view the thread but here's the thread to when Serang was working on the pieces: http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/custom-creations/116547-serangs-obg14-dragon-suit-final-black-suit-updated.html I did save the images from the thread back in 2013. There's some great pics. I can post them if anyone would like to see them. Robert
  15. That's Serang Kim's creation if I recall correctly. I remember when Serang was posting his creation progress on a forum a long time ago (roughly 2013?). The limited editions were expensive. The poppy suit with scarf is pretty cool. The Les Paul came out really well too! Robert
  16. Page and Plant never had a beer sponsor. Robert www.behindthetoys.com
  17. Hi Strider, no need for the extra figures. I posted some facts and figures previously in previous posts. I thought I'd save you extra work. One thing I would mention is that The Who held the record previously with a date at the Silverdome and Zep reclaimed the record with their performance there in '77. Thank you for the input and post. Robert
  18. It’s unfortunate that insults were thrown in this thread regarding Keith and Mick. Stanlove, while posting on a Led Zeppelin forum regarding his opinion that the Stones were bigger than Zeppelin, did not throw insults at the members of the band Led Zeppelin or their fans. He was merely trying to disprove in his opinion what Zeppelin fans are posting. All in his opinion of course. But he has been very civil and not insulting in my opinion, and I’m a poster that has been responding to his posts. Keith’s personal drug use has no point in being brought up in this thread. The same can be said of Jimmy Page’s personal use during the 1970’s. The Chicago 1977 incident for example. How about Bonham and the banana incident? Think about both of those between the lines. Was Jimmy Page ever arrested regarding drugs? I think Zeppelin fans know the answer to that question. In addition, what Mick does on his own time is his business. Should I quote what Robert Plant stated about Jimmy Page hanging upside down in a closet like a bat? What was once an interesting thread discussion has now been now made a disaster. This thread really needs to be closed. For me that’s unfortunate, as I found the discussion of the last several pages quite interesting to read from another fanatical (Stones) fans opinion. Robert
  19. Just to clarify in case other readers have missed it about the multiple night runs at certain venues such as MSG, the L.A. Forum etc. I was referring to what type of criteria does one set (i.e. include) when attempting to determine who was the biggest. One can research further into the cancelled JFK 1977 show and see attendance numbers flip in just a matter of days based on research and newspaper articles from local Philadelphia newspapers. I thank the Led Zep reference site for the their research and posting the articles long ago, which are still available if anyone wishes to read them. The articles were written in early August just after the announcement of the passing of Robert's son Karac. One article dated August 3rd, 1977 titled" Will Zep Be Here?" lists a number of "80,000" tickets sold. Another article written just three days later published August 6th 1977 titled "Zep Cancels at JFK; 1 Million Refund Due" states a number of "some 88,000 tickets". In just a matter of days the number changed by quite a bit. The article I posted above is from April 1977 and shows 95,000. Was that article estimating? Possibly, as one can see the numbers are rounded up or down as the bottom line is only a snap shot point in time and clearly doesn't add up, but I have spoken to someone who was up the food chain at Electric Factory and he confirmed for me the number in the 90's regarding the attendance. I'm not a biased Zep fan. If I was I would've just posted the high number, so I want to put that to rest with this post. Also another older thread on this very site mentions that their was a radio interview in 1977 regarding the Superdome show, where the manager of the Superdome states ticket sales hit 98,500 plus up to that point when the interview was conducted. If that interview could be located and proven true that spectacle would've been a massive show, as it was possible that even more tickets could've been sold by showtime. Unfortunately, we will never know since the show was cancelled. I'd have to research regarding the Superdome show. Once again I will state there's too much to consider regarding which artist was the biggest. Can a general idea be generated? Sure, but it'll just be a matter of perspective and what criteria does one include to come to the final conclusion. In my opinion I haven't seen any proof that the Stones were bigger than Zep. I'm not blind or biased (in my opinion). I openly admit I've collected Led Zeppelin memorabilia for years (and even have two items shown in the Super Deluxe books). I'm uncredited, but that's for another day. For the JFK show I'm only missing the rare t-shirt for memorabilia as far as I know at this point in time. I also have a cancelled Superdome ticket. Relics from a bygone era, that I'm happy to own. Ever Onward. Robert
  20. Here you go stanlove. I'll focus on the 1977 list that shows the 95,000. It's from an article titled "Biggest of them all" facts and figures from the week Zeppelin broke the record with the Silverdome show. Robert
  21. stanlove wrote: "There is no really debate who the biggest touring act was. It was the Stones. I have proven that". So far I haven't seen any proof to it. stanlove wrote: "As foe biggest band it would depend on how you define who the bigger band is". Now your stance is regarding criteria. Interesting. When it suites your point of view you'll make the above comment. I've been stating it all along. stanlove wrote: "In the 70s the Stones 60s work didn't go away and people were still listening to that plus they were a singles band and songs like Brown Sugar and Aingie ect were all over the radio and people could buy the singles". Through to the late 1960's it was considered a singles market for the North American market as it helped with album sales. The market shifted to an album market in the late 1960's when album sales began to outsell singles. stanlove wrote: "But you are changing the topic by bringing up how long Zeppelin was around to how long the Stones was around". Steve isn't changing it. He's looking at it from another perspective that makes a bigger picture to understand. stanlove wrote: "My argument here is that when Zeppelin and their fans go around saying that Zeppelin was a much bigger touring band then the Stones in the 1970s they really can't make a case for that. I see them say it all the time all over the internet. You saw it here right on this thread. Its a constant". You're a Stones fan on a Led Zeppelin forum doing what? You're a Stones fan going around the internet finding this forum and arguing. The very thing you are sick of seeing other individuals do. Robert
  22. Thank you George for the above post. That’s my point regarding criteria boundaries. There’s so much to consider, and then it’s about an individual’s personal perception. stanlove, you seem to concentrate on a math number of 80,000. Is that your criteria cutoff point? One can venture down all sorts of avenues if it is. Is your criteria that the Stones drew bigger crowds? Again, I am asking you what criteria are you setting? To state again Zeppelin in 1977 were drawing the same crowds as the Stones. Zeppelin sold over 80,000 tickets for the Superdome as well as 95,000 for the JFK stadium shows but didn’t play the shows due to tragic circumstances. stanlove wrote: “You are honestly trying to say that listing the biggest concerts doesn't show who the bigger concert draw was. Really?” Again what criteria are you going to utilize. Zeppelin with the Tampa show and the Silverdome show set records. One can debate that the Siverdome show for Zeppelin would’ve been bigger if people went to it. There’s unused tickets for sale through various outlets such as Ebay from time to time. The same can be said about Stones concerts, and unused tickets. See where I am going? There’s all sorts of avenues to expand on. Does one include as a single artist on the bill or include opening acts? Does one include Zeppelin playing at Bath in 1970 in front of 150,000 concertgoers? How about multiple runs at concert venues such as MSG in New York, or the Forum in Los Angeles, or Chicago Stadium? stanlove wrote: “You can look up where Zeppelin played in 1972 and where the Stones played. on their American tours. Little hint. The Stone drew 40 thousand to the Rubber bowl in Ohio and 45 thousand to RFK stadium on that tour, Zeppelin didn't even come close to out drawing the Stones on that tour.” A year later Zeppelin drew in excess of 49,000 fans in Atlanta and 56,000 in Tampa, both larger numbers than what you typed above. Again, there’s many factors to consider. Interesting you keep mentioning Zep fans with their myths. May I inquire why are Stone fans constantly mentioning the 1972 tour? It was big, I get it. As I stated earlier Zeppelin played less North American dates and were playing other global markets in 1972. stanlove wrote: “The Stones obviously outdrew Zeppelin despite what Zeppelin claimed and there tickets were more expensive. “ See above. To expand on your math numbers since you are concentrating on attendance numbers one can venture the argument that if the Stones were the biggest they would’ve played a concert to break the record by the year or in 1973 that Zep did but they didn’t. The same thing could be said again by the year 1977 about Zep’s 1977 show at the Silverdome. Steve, made an interesting point that the Stones were an established act for years before Zeppelin started. One can argue that Zeppelin became just as big or even bigger than the Stones in a much shorter timeframe utilizing less commercial singles, but that’s a whole different avenue to venture down. This thread either needs to be closed, gotten back on topic, or split to a new topic. Robert
  23. stanlove wrote: “II don't know what the cutoff date of 1979 has to do with it. I said in the 1970s the Stones were the bigger attraction” The cutoff date of 1979 I stated was for a reason. Why did you show “the list of the biggest 249 concerts ever” and state that “The Stones are on there 6 times”? You clearly should have stated the one time the Stones are on there from the 1970’s as that’s all they are on the list. Once from the 1970’s. You are trying to prove the Stones were the biggest attraction, but didn’t even keep inside the boundary you yourself set. The other five shows listed are post 1970’s. The "were the bigger attraction" so far is your opinion and not a fact. stanlove wrote: “Its not a matter of opinion”. Then please post some facts to back up your claim. The only proof you posted was a list and didn’t even cite the source. The rest of each of your posts are opinions not presented facts. stanlove wrote: “It’s a simple matter of math”. Suddenly with this reply it’s now math? I asked what criteria does one set to establish who the biggest artist was? You have presented nothing. I stated number of concerts played, ticket grosses, concert attendance as examples which is math related but you sidestepped those words. stanlove wrote: “The 90/10 split has nothing to do with it eiher”. But you say it’s simple math. The 90/10 split involves money. That’s math related. stanlove wrote: “As for Zeppelin ccancelling shows in 1975, the Stones in 1978 when they were at the height of their popularity purposely played a small tour mostly of club dates because they wanted to go back to basics”. Since you are “not much of a Zeppelin fan” I will inform you Zeppelin also performed a tour generally titled Return to the Clubs Tour in 1971. stanlove wrote: “If they wanted to they would have smashed all records during that tour”. Again this is an opinion not a fact. stanlove wrote: “Over 80 thousand whenever they wanted”. It’s not up to the Stones to attract over 80 thousand. It was up to the fans who were willing to spend their money on seeing the Stones. So the “whenever they wanted” is again your opinion. stanlove wrote” I am not trying to achieve anything but correct what I constantly hear and see on the internet everytime there is talk of a rock star not liking Led Zeppelin”. Then you are attempting to achieve something. Read what you typed. The word “correct” is utilized. Therefore, you are attempting to achieve something. stanlove wrote: “Its when people repeat the Zeppelin myth about blowing the Stones away at the box office then I correct it and its easy to do”. If it’s easy to do then please post your information, instead of posting nothing more than your opinion. One list doesn’t cover the “its easy to do” comment. stanlove wrote: “Lets face it this opinion comes from Zeppelin fans reading and repeating what they heard from Zeppelin themselves”. The same thing can be said about you being a Stones fan. You are doing the very same thing but from being a “fanatical” Stones fan perspective. stanlove wrote” in reality of anything Zeppelin was bitter and jealous about the attention that the Stones were getting during the 70s”. Again with the opinion. Do you know Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones? Did you know the late John Bonham? Their personal feelings have nothing to do with who the biggest artist of the 1970’s was, except for ego. Have you discussed their personal feelings with them regarding this subject? Again, if you are going to prove the Stones were the biggest please list your criteria that must be met in doing so? Robert
  24. ”stanlove wrote: “My only point on this thread is constantly running into Zep fans who claim that Zeppelin owned the Stones at the box office in the 1970s and thats just not true at all. The Stones have the better argument of being the biggest live band in the world in the 1970s.” The same can be said about Zep fans running into Stones fans for doing the same thing (such as what this thread has turned into). Or any fan of any artist, running into another fan of another artist. It’s all a matter opinion as one would have to place criteria into how to pass a judgement on which artist was the biggest. There were many successful artists in the 1970’s and not just in the genre of what is commonly referred to as “classic rock” The Stones and Zeppelin were big in the North American market let alone the global market. Pick another artist from the timeframe in general. Queen, The Who, Pink Floyd, Elton John, Bee Gees, ABBA (the last two are not considered classic rock but key artists of the 1970’s) are all examples of popular artists, and those are just a couple of examples. To expand on my earlier post (which was sidestepped but that’s okay) what criteria would you consider? I already explained the above list you provided (without the source, but Versus found it) would be irrelevant, simply due to the cutoff date of December 31, 1979, and the Stones dates listed are almost all post the 1979 cutoff. The post made by Versus regarding a possible explanation as to why Freddie Bannister would deny the attendance number is certainly a valid one if true, and research would have to be done to understand more about it. One would have to count up how many concerts each artist performed during the decade. Again, Zeppelin had unfortunate circumstances that prevented them from performing dates such as the cancelled 1975 dates due to Robert’s auto accident, and again in 1977 due to the tragic passing of Karac. stanlove wrote: “But the fact is the Stones concerts were bigger and they charged more per ticket. In 1975 the Stones were charging 12 dollars a ticket while Zeppelin was charging 7. The Stones were the kings of the road in the 1970s.” Ticket prices may come into play but one would have to consider other things as well. What was the Stones split with the promoter? During the latter years Zeppelin had a 90/10 split. One could argue that while the Stones were charging more, Zep was making the same amount of money (or possibly more) charging their fans less due to the 90/10 split, and taking home more of the box office gross. Stanlove wrote: “As a Stones fanatic” and “I am not much of a Zeppelin fan” You have to understand that being a self-proclaimed “Stones fanatic” it looks like you are doing the very thing you take objection with from Zep fans. Based on your post count to this forum / thread it does appear there’s a set agenda, which you state is stating the Stones were bigger in the 1970’s than Zep. You are trying to prove a point that not very many are interested in. What type of satisfaction (no pun intended) are you attempting to obtain? Stanlove wrote: My only point on this thread is constantly running into Zep fans who claim that Zeppelin owned the Stones at the box office in the 1970s and thats just not true at all. The Stones have the better argument of being the biggest live band in the world in the 1970s.” Again stating the Stones have a “better argument” is only an opinion and not a fact. Mainly of the individuals who lived it are no longer hear to ask from Zeppelin's camp, Peter Grant, Steve Weiss as examples. In addition, memories become less reliable due to the passing of time regarding the subject (Richard Cole, Jimmy Page etc.). Forget the numbers and enjoy the music. Ever onward. Robert
  25. There are many things one can consider when attempting to establish who the bigger artist was during a particular timeframe. The list of largest concert attendance draws is one example. If you notice most of the top draws in the list provided above are after the 1970’s outside of the North American market when artists started to venture outside North America. North America was the popular spot to play in the 1970’s due to larger venues, revenue from ticket sales, and merchandise starting to be sold more at concerts. Other things were also readily available to famous artists (the old sex, booze, drugs, wrecking of hotel rooms, etc.) during downtime. New markets such as South America were opening up, and many fans were happy to finally see artists playing in their section of the world after only being able to read about it in newspapers, and magazines. There are also more people on the planet earth now to go and see concerts. Unlike today where videos are readily available due to modern technology, back in the 1970’s video camera’s were expensive and could be difficult to get into a venue to film the concert. The only way to see an artist was to pay for a ticket and go see the artist. Can you please pass along the source for where you obtained the list? There’s quite a few asterisk’s on there that had additional information, not shown. If one Googles’ “List of largest concerts” a completely different list appears. For the “List of largest concerts” one has to wonder how many of the concert attenders actually paid for a ticket or were they free concerts open to the public. Attendance is in the millions in some cases. If one is to consider who is the bigger draw between the Stones and Zeppelin in the 1970’s you would have to dismiss every Stones and Zep concert after December 31st 1979. Zep officially called it quits on December 4th so that would be the cutoff point, so the Stones appearing on the above list six times is irrelevant, as some of the numbers above are from after December 31st 1979. There were unfortunate sets of circumstances for Zeppelin that caused concerts to be cancelled. The Stones certainly can and still draw huge attendance numbers. If we go just by attendance numbers from the above list, for the 1970’s when both bands were active the Stones come in at number 23 with 93,000. Certainly, an impressive number from that timeframe. Can you please let us know if there were any opening acts for that concert? One was Peter Tosh for that tour. Zeppelin’s August 13th 1977 was to be at the same venue (JFK Stadium) but had to be cancelled due to the tragic passing of Robert’s son. The official tickets sold was 95,000 plus for that concert. The 95,000 is a factual number as I know an individual who was high up the food chain and worked for the Electric Factory who promoted that concert. In fact, he travelled with the band and saw them five times during the 1977 tour. There was to be no opening act for the 95,000 fans. I know for a fact there was not to be an opening act as there was no time for Electric Factory to obtain one. Most of the unused tickets were returned for refunds, but there’s still several hundred out in the wild. The last time a refund was asked for a ticket from that cancelled dates was in the early 1980’s. If we are to go by the list provided above then in fact Zeppelin did have a larger paying single concert than the Stones. Zep’s was also without an opening act. Other 1977 dates such as the Silverdome of 76,000 plus, and the Superdome of 80,000 plus are also notable. Again, Zep was unable to play in front of 80,000 plus due to tragic circumstances. For 1969 Zeppelin was still starting out. Were the Stones bigger in 1969? Sure, they were an established act. For 1972 and 1975, one would have to get into how many dates were played by each band that year as well as where. Does one compare just the North American market or other markets? For North America Zep played 18 dates, while the Stones played 50 so naturally the Stones are going to have higher attendance numbers for the North American market. That doesn’t mean they were bigger than Zep, and it doesn’t mean Zep were bigger than the Stones. It just means the Stones played more dates in North America in 1972 than Zep. For 1975 again, a set of circumstances occurred where Zep was not on the road playing concerts to stadium packed fans. If you look at 1975 Zeppelin were planning to continue to tour North America and play at the Rose Bowl but the auto accident that involved Robert Plant prevented that date from happening. Other stadium venues such as Arrowhead stadium were on the itinerary to be played in 1975. It would’ve been interesting seeing how many tickets would have been sold for the stadium shows, considering Zep wasn’t utilizing an opening act. Stanlove wrote: "We all have out opinions. But when someone quotes facts that are not accurate then I comment.” Stanlove also wrote: “The Stones were already established by the early 70s and were on the throne. Zeppelin was trying to get there.” Isn't that an opinion? 8>) Both bands did something right as were talking about both of them now after all these years and both bands most likely will never be forgotten as new fans discover their great music every day. The fact is all the great artists have done something the others haven’t. The 1970’s were a time period for music most likely never to be seen again. Thankfully, that time period lives on in officially released product and unofficially release product. 8>) Forget the numbers and enjoy the music. 8>) Robert