1977 Tour

ms_zeppelin94

information on the filming? Sort of like Seattle 77 or the video screen only use for the Silverdome? Is this a case of revisionist history.

1977 should have been Zeppelin's best tour. Plant sounded better and JPJ and esp. Bonzo were peaking. Jimmy on the other hand was shaky from song to song at almost every show due to the obvious reasons. I can't help but get mad at him when I listen to the live shows. He will sound great one song and the next he'll sound like he hadn't played in years. I'm curious if he practiced like he did in earlier tours? It kills me when people who aren't led heads like us trash him because they saw him on that tour or heard bootlegs from '77. Page was the best in the world but he didn't sound like it everynight. There was no excuse for him not to. I also hate that people ignore how good the rest of the band played and only go by how Jimmy sounded. Another thing I never get is why some fans on here hate the long solos. I particularly love No Q simply because it showed how talented JPJ was. He would throw in classical music with silent-movie sounding music to jazz, etc. Plus, 1977 had the best setlist. A taste of everything. If Jimmy had been in peak form, experts would still be talking about the '77 tour today. Damn shame it ended the way it did. They were supposed to play JFK in Philly and FILM IT. Poor Robert. He deserved better than what the fates dealt him.

I was lucky to see them the night I did as I have heard the stories of Jimmy being carried off the stage two nights prior. So they really played well that night, the night Plants shirt caught fire with the bottle rocket. I had tickets to see them a couple months later in Buffalo, as fate would have it the tragedy was days before. So that show never happened either just like Philly. Lines returning the tickets going blocks. It was sold out in no time. People had told me I wasted my time and money going all the way to DC (Landover) to see them as they then scheduled Buffalo. But when tragedy hit, it would turn out to be my only chance and its a good thing I made it. I agree that 77 was the best because you had physical grafitti. No songs like Kashmir on the earlier tour. When they did Kashmir they had blue laser lights that I still remember. And of course I got to hear Presence too. Achilles Last Stand was great.

I was lucky to see them the night I did as I have heard the stories of Jimmy being carried off the stage two nights prior. So they really played well that night, the night Plants shirt caught fire with the bottle rocket. I had tickets to see them a couple months later in Buffalo, as fate would have it the tragedy was days before. So that show never happened either just like Philly. Lines returning the tickets going blocks. It was sold out in no time. People had told me I wasted my time and money going all the way to DC (Landover) to see them as they then scheduled Buffalo. But when tragedy hit, it would turn out to be my only chance and its a good thing I made it. I agree that 77 was the best because you had physical grafitti. No songs like Kashmir on the earlier tour. When they did Kashmir they had blue laser lights that I still remember. And of course I got to hear Presence too. Achilles Last Stand was great.

I have read that there may have been video screens at the 30/5 show. Could you shine any light on this?

I have read that there may have been video screens at the 30/5 show. Could you shine any light on this?

If my memory serves me correct, i wouldl say yes, absolutely. I was 15-20 feet behind the stage believe it or not and I could have jumped on the stage right next to Page and Plant (and wound up in the nearest klink badly bruised). But they had speakers facing behind the stage too and to my recollection some video screens. One guy that would know for sure is the Ocean who I have not seen in a while. He was at all 5 or 6 nights in DC, however many there were. During Bonhams drum solo I took a walk around and went to each entrance. Each one had a curtain and two gorillas the size of Paul Bunyon gaurding them. I said, no thanks, Im not getting my ass kicked and thrown in jail 1000 miles from home. Went back and enjoyed. The kid that I went with was smokin hashish with two young hotties when I got back to my seat. He introduced me and I took a few hits, and pretty much ignored them telling myself, "Led Zeppelin is twenty feet in front of me, I have the rest of my life to think about girls/women" Not on this night. I just knew this was it. I would never see them again. We were robbed the night before and were low on money. I have not seen the guy I went with in over thirty years now. Found out later he came out of the closet. When I ran across his sister on Facebook she was all happy to hear from me until I asked the question, I hear John is gay? She was in denial. Said, he liked girls when he was younger. HELLO!!!!! How about now? That was the last time she emailed. I dont care if he is gay. shit. I have my ticket stub. I will bet the farm he doesnt have his.

I have not seen the guy I went with in over thirty years now. Found out later he came out of the closet. When I ran across his sister on Facebook she was all happy to hear from me until I asked the question, I hear John is gay? She was in denial. Said, he liked girls when he was younger. HELLO!!!!! How about now? That was the last time she emailed. I dont care if he is gay. shit.

Maybe he's bi?

Nothing wrong with taking a walk on the wild side every now and then :veryhot:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Drug abuse, pure and simple.

Anybody whos had any experience with drugs that has gone past the realms of 'fun' or 'recreational' will know how terribly destructive they are, not only to the individual, but to relationships too.

Seattle is a prime example, look at the state of Jimmy for the first few songs, he can barely stand let alone play well.

Im no expert on 77 like many on here but have been listening to the MSG shows and they are STUNNING, up there with LA imo. It just goes to prove that when Zep wanted to do it in 77 they could.

The set list and substance abuse point to over indulgence, no doubt, but i defy anyone to listen to No quarter from any of those New York shows and not be blown way.

In Houstin,Texas I seen him fall and hit the stage, It seems as tho he was in a gaze and did not know where he was but I still did matter, if I could have put muself between the floor and him I would have just so he would not hurt his hand. And the Show went on for at least 3 hours or more.

Archived