Theatre

eagle87

My kids were always involved in high school drama so we spent many of night seeing and working behind the scenes at their school. One year they did a colloboration with another school and put on Singin' in the Rain. The director actually had it rain on stage during the famous dancing/rain scene. Needless to say, right after that was intermission to sop up all the water. It was great.

We have a friend who is in Rotary and they do a fund raiser and sell tickets for the local community players. Have gone to 3 so far. This last Wednesday we went to see Be My Baby. It's a nice little comedy. The theatre is in the round. Only seats about 100 so you are right next to the action. I really enjoy those shows.

I love theatre. I very often go see plays but it is quite expensive.. I'm working on a play right now, it's a very small play, just me and my 3 friends, it'a school project. We have lots of theatre projects in our school which is nice. My dream is to get into Theatre Academy in Helsinki

I love theatre. I very often go see plays but it is quite expensive.. I'm working on a play right now, it's a very small play, just me and my 3 friends, it'a school project. We have lots of theatre projects in our school which is nice. My dream is to get into Theatre Academy in Helsinki

Thanks for sharing, noora. Good to hear you're so into it. Keep us up to speed with your progress and good luck getting into the Theatre Academy :wave:

Hi all,

Im about to start theatre again... I've already done two year of theatre before, and now i come back. This one is gonna be in English (the first one around here).

So... any one like it? or done it? or would like to do it?

Was my major at university. :)

KB

Saw Streetcar Named Desire this week at the Kennedy Center starring Cate Blanchett. Possibly the single most powerful performance I've seen in my million years of going to the theatre. I don't know if this is going to tour any, but if you can see it, I highly recommend doing so. You'll thank me - really!!

• 3 weeks later...

Saw Streetcar Named Desire this week at the Kennedy Center starring Cate Blanchett. Possibly the single most powerful performance I've seen in my million years of going to the theatre. I don't know if this is going to tour any, but if you can see it, I highly recommend doing so. You'll thank me - really!!

It's playing at BAM's Harvey Theater. Unfortunately, it is sold out, but the reviews certainly support ebk's impressions of it:

NYT Theater Review: 'A Streetcar Named Desire'

I don't think I've ever seen a bad performance from Blanchett. A phenomenal actress.

Hi ladies! Wow! Me too! :thumbsup: I wonder if Lynn Collins will co-star. She was great in the film. As well as great as Rosalind in the Shakespeare In The Park version of "As You Like It". So was the actress who played "Celia". :D

I saw that earlier today. I'm going to try to get there... should be fantastic!!

Have you ever seen him in a live performance, ebk? I haven't, so it'll be that much more exciting!

Hi ladies! Wow! Me too! :thumbsup: I wonder if Lynn Collins will co-star. She was great in the film. As well as great as Rosalind in the Shakespeare In The Park version of "As You Like It". So was the actress who played "Celia". :D

Hi Fan_S :wave: How lucky are you to be so close!! There's no word yet on Collins (I agree, she was excellent in the movie version of 'Merchant'). What we do know is that Daniel Sullivan will direct it and it will feature (so far) Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Jesse L. Martin, Al Pacino, Lily Rabe, Ruben Santiago-Hudson, and Max Wright.

Would you happen to know when the SITP tickets go on sale? The site simply says that the '09 season is now done & to check back for updates. The sooner we know, the better we can plan :D

Hi, Patrycja! :wave: Usually, the SITP tickets are free. We'd queue up very early in the morning (esp. with the promise of Pacino in the cast), early, like 6:30 am @ Delacort Theatre, Central Park. If you don't feel like hanging out on a collapsible chair in the park, you can check theIr website only on the day of the performance to see if tickets are available. Yeah, it's very "last minute" but it's always been the case with SITP. It's worth it. :D:beer: I'll keep my antennae extended and let you and ebk know. Who knows? Maybe, with good fortune, the three of us could meet accidentally in "real time"! :)

Hi, Patrycja! :wave: Usually, the SITP tickets are free. We'd queue up very early in the morning (esp. with the promise of Pacino in the cast), early, like 6:30 am @ Delacort Theatre, Central Park. If you don't feel like hanging out on a collapsible chair in the park, you can check theIr website only on the day of the performance to see if tickets are available. Yeah, it's very "last minute" but it's always been the case with SITP. It's worth it. :D:beer: I'll keep my antennae extended and let you and ebk know. Who knows? Maybe, with good fortune, the three of us could meet accidentally in "real time"! :)

:wave:

Thanks a lot for the info, Fan_S! Hmm...well it seems the system poses a bit of a problem for someone not living in New York, let alone not in the U.S. But I'm determined to make it work.

Oh, and should I happen to not get a ticket I'll be very easy to spot. I'll be the one curled up in my chair, rocking back and forth and crying :lol:

:wave:

Thanks a lot for the info, Fan_S! Hmm...well it seems the system poses a bit of a problem for someone not living in New York, let alone not in the U.S. But I'm determined to make it work.

Oh, and should I happen to not get a ticket I'll be very easy to spot. I'll be the one curled up in my chair, rocking back and forth and crying :lol:

yw, Patrycja! :) Not to worry: if I don't get a ticket either, we could co-miserate at a nearby cafe, and then on to good ol' Bloomingdales' sales racks. haha. :coffee::D

yw, Patrycja! :) Not to worry: if I don't get a ticket either, we could co-miserate at a nearby cafe, and then on to good ol' Bloomingdales' sales racks. haha. :coffee::D

Sounds like a great plan to me! :D

And if it's a weekend trip, there are two shots to get into the show...

Hey, ebk! :wave: True. And unfortunately, you need that Plan B because it has been my experience to wait on line in my fold-up beach chair for several hours just to be turned away with the rest of the mob behind me because we were too far back in the line. :( So, just be prepared for that to happen. This way, like you wisely said, you'll get a second shot at it. Oh, and pack something to eat and bring good reading material. I have to add that sometimes you won't need to read because it's fun to shoot the breeze with fellow theatre-goers while waiting. :beer:

Hey, ebk! :wave: True. And unfortunately, you need that Plan B because it has been my experience to wait on line in my fold-up beach chair for several hours just to be turned away with the rest of the mob behind me because we were too far back in the line. :( So, just be prepared for that to happen. This way, like you wisely said, you'll get a second shot at it. Oh, and pack something to eat and bring good reading material. I have to add that sometimes you won't need to read because it's fun to shoot the breeze with fellow theatre-goers while waiting. :beer:

Back in the day, I used to do both shows every summer. As I've gotten older (and crankier :) ) I've discovered that there are few things I think are worth standing in line for. Two years ago, we strolled up to the box office one afternoon and got tickets to see Midsummer Night's Dream that night. Of course, there were no "stars" in it...but it was still marvelous!

Last year, I really wanted to see Hair, but couldn't bring myself to spend the day in line. So I waited and saw it on Broadway - and it was worth every penny!!!

However, for Al Pacino, I think I can stand in line :D Hope to meet you both there!!

Back in the day, I used to do both shows every summer. As I've gotten older (and crankier :) ) I've discovered that there are few things I think are worth standing in line for. Two years ago, we strolled up to the box office one afternoon and got tickets to see Midsummer Night's Dream that night. Of course, there were no "stars" in it...but it was still marvelous!

Last year, I really wanted to see Hair, but couldn't bring myself to spend the day in line. So I waited and saw it on Broadway - and it was worth every penny!!!

However, for Al Pacino, I think I can stand in line :D Hope to meet you both there!!

Yeah, definitely know what you mean. Back in the late 70s, my friend and I waited on line to see Othello. She had a great crush on Richard Dreyfuss. I didn't blame her. We were so excited. There was a thunderstorm while we were on line and everyone ran for cover under trees (I know, we were idiots). When the sky cleared, we waited on line for another three hours. The system was really bad then! (Nowadays, it's better, more efficient, less waiting).

Anyway, finally, we got our tickets, went to dinner and sat in our seats, anticipating " O what fun it all would be." Then to my poor friend's dismay, they announced "Good evening, ladies & gentlemen. Tonight, the part of 'Claudio' will be played by ...[Dreyfuss' understudy]"!

It's torture to go through this sometimes. A lot of times, it's still fantastic.

• 1 month later...

Just got tickets to see A View From the Bridge on Friday with Liev Schreiber and Scarlett Johansson. First row, mezzanine. Then Saturday, it's Present Laughter with Victor Garber.

Gonna be a great weekend!!

Yeah, definitely know what you mean. Back in the late 70s, my friend and I waited on line to see Othello. She had a great crush on Richard Dreyfuss. I didn't blame her. We were so excited. There was a thunderstorm while we were on line and everyone ran for cover under trees (I know, we were idiots). When the sky cleared, we waited on line for another three hours. The system was really bad then! (Nowadays, it's better, more efficient, less waiting).

Anyway, finally, we got our tickets, went to dinner and sat in our seats, anticipating " O what fun it all would be." Then to my poor friend's dismay, they announced "Good evening, ladies & gentlemen. Tonight, the part of 'Claudio' will be played by ...[Dreyfuss' understudy]"!

It's torture to go through this sometimes. A lot of times, it's still fantastic.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived