Any idea why Houses of the Holy (song) wasnt put on HOTH (album)?

LedZep1969

I believe I read that the band did not think that the song flowed well with the rest of the album.

I think that if space was an issue, the band would cut another song from the album and leave the title track on there.

I believe I read that the band did not think that the song flowed well with the rest of the album.

I think that if space was an issue, the band would cut another song from the album and leave the title track on there.

I don't think the song would have fit on HOTH the album either style wise. I also think it's cool the song isn't on the album :D

I don't think the song would have fit on HOTH the album either style wise. I also think it's cool the song isn't on the album :D

yea true, because almost every band has an album name and a song with the same name

When the album Houses of the Holy was released the internet was still primarily in use by the government and scientists.

I do not recall the internet being used commonly in business and in homes until the 1980s.

Jimmy Page may have foreseen the future in general terms but perhaps not specifically the internet at the time Houses of the Holy was made.

His generation did not grow up exposed to the internet the way the current one has.

When the album Houses of the Holy was released the internet was still primarily in use by the government and scientists.

I do not recall the internet being used commonly in business and in homes until the 1980s.

Jimmy Page may have foreseen the future in general terms but perhaps not specifically the internet at the time Houses of the Holy was made.

His generation did not grow up exposed to the internet the way the current one has.

Fabulous Honey.

Now, who invented the internet?

Now, who invented the internet?

The internet had its primitive beginnings during the war in the 1940s.

Actress Hedy Lamarr secured the patent for the frequency hopping transmission called Spread Spectrum in 1941 and assigned it to the U.S. government.

Later during the 1960s several scientists articulated its development, notably J. C. R. Licklider and Leonard Kleinrock.

Actress Hedy Lamarr Invents Spread-Spectrum 1940

Actress Hedy Lamarr and composer George Antheil invent "frequency-hopping" transmission, now called spread-spectrum. In 1941 Lamarr patents this under her married name of H. K. Markey. She assigns the patent to the U.S. Government. This early version of frequency hopping uses a piano-roll to change between 88 frequencies, and is intended to make radio-guided torpedoes harder for enemies to detect or jam.

historyofscience.com

The Day the Infant Internet Uttered its First Words Below is a record of the first message ever sent over the ARPANET. It took place at 22:30 hours on October 29, 1969. This record is an excerpt from the "IMP Log" that we kept at UCLA. I was supervising the student/programmer Charley Kline (CSK) and we set up a message transmission to go from the UCLA SDS Sigma 7 Host computer to the SRI SDS 940 Host computer. The transmission itself was simply to "login" to SRI from UCLA. We succeeded in transmitting the "l" and the "o" and then the system crashed! Hence, the first message on the Internet was "lo"! We were able to do the full login about an hour later.

-Leonard Kleinrock

lk.cs.ucla.edu

1962 ARPA Information Processing Techniques Office

spacer.gif

J. C. R. Licklider becomes the first director of the Information Processing Techniques Office established by the Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA, later known as DARPA) of the U.S. Department of Defense (DOD). Licklider articulates the vision of a "galactic" computer network—a globally interconnected set of processing nodes through which anyone anywhere can access data and programs.

spacer.gif

spacer.gif 1962 Kleinrock thesis describes underlying principles of packet-switching technology

spacer.gif

Leonard Kleinrock, a doctoral student at MIT, writes a thesis describing queuing networks and the underlying principles of what later becomes known as packet-switching technology.

greatachievements.org

Where is the connection between Jimmy Page and Tim Berners?

Well, where is the connection between the internet and HOTH not being on said album?

Knebby was joking when she said that Jimmy always knew there'd be threads like these. It's fairly obvious that he didn't. Since he's neither worked in government or was a scientist, I'm willing to bet he only became aware of the interwebz around the same time that the rest of us mere mortals did.

How does Berners relate to Houses of the Holy?

Only in context of this thread and the question of who invented the world wide web. Led Zeppelin did have several songs named that started with W. When the Levee Breaks, What is and What should never Be and Whole Lotta Love for a few. WWW.

Only in context of this thread and the question of who invented the world wide web. Led Zeppelin did have several songs named that started with W. When the Levee Breaks, What is and What should never Be and Whole Lotta Love for a few. WWW.

Berners did not invent the www until 1989. Those songs came out during the 70s.

And the internet was around before the www.

How old was Jimmy Page in 1941 when Hedy Lamarr obtained her patent for wireless?

yea true, because almost every band has an album name and a song with the same name

They usually they appear on the album of the same name.

There are two exceptions I know of, perhaps there are more.

The Doors Waiting For The Sun appeared on Morrison Hotel / Hard Rock Cafe and HOTH on PG.

In both cases were written and recorded for earlier album sessions only to show up on later albums.

From The Stories Behind Every Song Led Zeppelin Dazed and Confused by Chris Welch:

On the song Houses Of The Holy:

"The lost track form the album of the same name - if it had been included on the fifth allbum, it would have a different story in terms of reviews and reaction. This is a highly acceptable piece of work. A clipped beat and an easy riff provides a platform for some of Page's most manic improvisation. A house of the holy is a church, temple or chapel, but in this case the plural term refers to the spiritual aura that Zeppelin felt attended their concerts. Bonham's squeaking drum pedal can be heard again some three minutes into the song. 'Houses' was recorded and mixed at Olympic and Electric Lady studios, during a session that dates back to 1972, Oddly enough, it was never performed live."

"Other songs left over from the fifth album sessions besides Houses of the Holy include:

Black Country Woman, Walter's Walk, and a song known as Slush that was worked on at Olympic in May 1972 and sitll remains in the can."

They should have kept The Crunge for Graffiti and put HOTH on the HOTH album.

Or they could have given the HOTH album another name (The Ocean Remains The Dancing Quarter's Song, for example).

But yeah, I agree, Jimmy knew we would be having threads like this one.

They should have kept The Crunge for Graffiti and put HOTH on the HOTH album.

Or they could have given the HOTH album another name (The Ocean Remains The Dancing Quarter's Song, for example).

But yeah, I agree, Jimmy knew we would be having threads like this one.

I can't see that but maybe it's because I'm just used to both songs on the albums they were on.

Archived