Any idea why Houses of the Holy (song) wasnt put on HOTH (album)?

LedZep1969

They usually they appear on the album of the same name.

There are two exceptions I know of, perhaps there are more.

The Doors Waiting For The Sun appeared on Morrison Hotel / Hard Rock Cafe and HOTH on PG.

In both cases were written and recorded for earlier album sessions only to show up on later albums.

ac/dc's 'if you want blood' didnt appear on the album of the same name, but on the highway to hell album

"Other songs left over from the fifth album sessions besides Houses of the Holy include:

Black Country Woman, Walter's Walk, and a song known as Slush that was worked on at Olympic in May 1972 and sitll remains in the can."

And maybe "The Rover," too, but that had been in several stages of development over the years, going back to the Jennings Farm sessions.

he is god duh

If he were God, that would imply he is all knowing and infallible. I think Jimmy is an amazing guitar player but I wouldn't go so far as to say he's either of the above - no one is and that's not a bad thing - it's being human ;)

no he isn't duh

Well if Robert has said that he is the "Golden God" Jimmy could be a "Guitar God" John Bonham is the "God Of Thunder" that leaves JPJ as the "God of Silly Haircuts"

So they all can be called "Gods" using this logic cant they?

Regards, Danny

I expect Jimmy wrote the famous grafitti in order to deflect attention away from himself and to conceal his alternate identity as the true God. At least that is my interpretation.

Na it wasn't Jimmy, it was wrote by a dyslexic guy with a spray can at the Angle Underground Station, Islington, he meant to write "Clapton is Good", and thats a fact. (well thats what i tell everybody)

Regards, Danny

PS. makes more sense to tell it that way.

I believe I read that the band did not think that the song flowed well with the rest of the album.

I think that if space was an issue, the band would cut another song from the album and leave the title track on there.

No, it was that there wasnt enough space and House of the Holy was originally the last track on the album.

• 4 months later...
From The Stories Behind Every Song Led Zeppelin Dazed and Confused by Chris Welch:

On the song Houses Of The Holy:

"The lost track form the album of the same name - if it had been included on the fifth allbum, it would have a different story in terms of reviews and reaction. This is a highly acceptable piece of work. A clipped beat and an easy riff provides a platform for some of Page's most manic improvisation. A house of the holy is a church, temple or chapel, but in this case the plural term refers to the spiritual aura that Zeppelin felt attended their concerts. Bonham's squeaking drum pedal can be heard again some three minutes into the song. 'Houses' was recorded and mixed at Olympic and Electric Lady studios, during a session that dates back to 1972, Oddly enough, it was never performed live."

"Other songs left over from the fifth album sessions besides Houses of the Holy include:

Black Country Woman, Walter's Walk, and a song known as Slush that was worked on at Olympic in May 1972 and sitll remains in the can."

I was listening to Houses of the Holy in my car today and I heard the squeaking. I was trying to figure out what the heck it was. Why did Page leave that in the track?

Anyone say Tim Berners-Lee, founder of the World Wide Web?

Yeah, Jimmy knew there'd be threads like these.

Back to topic............

Everybody's talking and no one says a word

Everybody's making love and no one really cares

There's nazis in the bathroom just below the stairs.

Always something happening and nothing going on

There's always something happening cooking and nothing in the pot

They're starving back in China so finish what you got.

They're starving back in China so finish what you got.

Nobody told me there'd be THREADS like these

Strange THREADS indeed

strange THREADS indeed.

Everybody's runnin' and no one makes a move

Everyone's a winner and no one seems to lose.

There's a little yellow idol to the north of Katmandu.

Everybody's flying and no one leaves the ground

Everybody's crying and no one makes a sound.

There's a place for us in movies you just gotta stay around.

Strange THREADS indeed

most peculiar Mama.

Everybody's smoking and no one's getting high

Everybody's flying and never touch the sky

There's Ufo's over New York and I ain't too surprised.

Strange THREADS indeed

most peculiar mama, WHOA!

Love ya Knebs! :beer:

Well if Robert has said that he is the "Golden God" Jimmy could be a "Guitar God" John Bonham is the "God Of Thunder" that leaves JPJ as the "God of Silly Haircuts"

So they all can be called "Gods" using this logic cant they?

Regards, Danny

C'mon! Jonesy's hair wasn't that bad! Even though my friend and I we're watching TSRTS and she kept on reffering to him as "pumpkin hair". :D

It isn't on the album because the film wasn't finished. The original lyrics:

Let me take you to the movies. Can I take you to the show

Let me be yours ever truly. Can I make your garden grow

From the Hyatt down on Sunset, virgins come but do not go

In the doorway Lori Maddix, and Jimmy with his bow. You know.

There's an ascot on our manager, he pinpoints the blame

Hear him yell in the garden. It's called The Song Remains The Same. You know.

Zeppelin III is spinning faster. was Zacron drunk or was he stoned

Let our music be your master. don't need album titles at all

'74 won't really happen. it'll hurt more down the line

When it hurts cause they're lying. Is this the only world you'll find? Oh-oh

So let me take you, take you to the movie. Can I take you, baby, to the show.

Why don't you let me be yours ever truly. Can I make your garden grow

You know.

:P

IMO, where would it fit on HOTH? And what would you leave out in favor of it (and would it work?)? TSRTS was Jimmy's great opus at the time, and Dancing Days set the tone for side two (remember it was vinyl at the time). It just didn't fit the vibe. But the title remained the same. The Houses of the Holy were the concert halls, and The Ocean was the fans that filled them. Satan's daughter had to wait in the garden, cause it only goes to show! ;)

IMO, where would it fit on HOTH? And what would you leave out in favor of it (and would it work?)? TSRTS was Jimmy's great opus at the time, and Dancing Days set the tone for side two (remember it was vinyl at the time). It just didn't fit the vibe. But the title remained the same. The Houses of the Holy were the concert halls, and The Ocean was the fans that filled them. Satan's daughter had to wait in the garden, cause it only goes to show! ;)

I think it fits where it is too, and besides, I like the fact it's the title of an album but not on the album :D<_<

Archived