Best Extended Jam Songs

EzyEric

I'm looking for some suggestions on amazing, long, jam songs from other bands similar to Dazed and Confused, No Quarter, etc.

I absolutely love the long No Quarter jams especially the paino/guitar solo's and want to hear more like it.

If it helps my favorite versions are 03-05-75, 03-27-75, 06-23-77.

Thanks

I'm looking for some suggestions on amazing, long, jam songs from other bands similar to Dazed and Confused, No Quarter, etc.

I absolutely love the long No Quarter jams especially the paino/guitar solo's and want to hear more like it.

If it helps my favorite versions are 03-05-75, 03-27-75, 06-23-77.

Thanks

I doubt you could do much better than Jimi Hendrix and Machine Gun... whilst there's no piano, Jimi's guitar will take you there...

I'd suggest Yes as the group who jammed with the most similarity to No Quarter. Starship Trooper and Yours is No Disgrace are a nice combo off of Yessongs.

Many Southern Rock bands had extended guitar / piano interaction. Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Allman Brothers, and Little Feat come to mind.

If you dig around for collaborations that guys like Billy Preston did with various blues guitarists, you might be pleasantly suprised.

No other group performed more of this than The Grateful Dead, but I realize they are not embraced much on this forum.

Thanks for the suggestions, the songs dont have to have piano and guitar, they can just have on of the best / longest solos you ever heard, of any instrument.

I've been trying to get into the best jam bands but most of their music is lighter, often acoustic, its not has hard of rock so there is a lot of slower time where I find myself sort of bored. Also their music in general isn't as good or pop friendly, mostly referring to studio stuff. Take Phish for example, most of their songs are downright weird, especially vocally and lyrically, often structurally, but they are considered the best jam band of my generation. But until Trey goes off on guitar on a song I'm usually somewhat bored.

I have really liked Widespread Panic though, almost every song have some amazing guitar shredding and the show from Rothbury 2008 with Ann Marie Calhoun on violin (fiddle) is just unbelievable.

Thanks for the suggestions, the songs dont have to have piano and guitar, they can just have on of the best / longest solos you ever heard, of any instrument.

I've been trying to get into the best jam bands but most of their music is lighter, often acoustic, its not has hard of rock so there is a lot of slower time where I find myself sort of bored. Also their music in general isn't as good or pop friendly, mostly referring to studio stuff. Take Phish for example, most of their songs are downright weird, especially vocally and lyrically, often structurally, but they are considered the best jam band of my generation. But until Trey goes off on guitar on a song I'm usually somewhat bored.

I have really liked Widespread Panic though, almost every song have some amazing guitar shredding and the show from Rothbury 2008 with Ann Marie Calhoun on violin (fiddle) is just unbelievable.

Deep Purple, Mandrake Root, Wring That Neck, Space Truckin and You Fool No One

Very long jams by some of the best

What I liked about Zep's jamming was that it did tend to have alot of structure to it, you wouldnt just get a 20 min solo on one theme(which I think jazz generally does better). A few of my favourite similar tracks by other bands....

The Who - My Generation

Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond parts 6-9(from 77)

The Stone Roses - I Am The Ressurection

If you like JPJ NQ piano work BTW I'd definately check out Keith Jarret, his solo panno albums are I'd guess what inspired Jonsey to move to piano in 75.

I'd suggest Yes as the group who jammed with the most similarity to No Quarter. Starship Trooper and Yours is No Disgrace are a nice combo off of Yessongs.

Many Southern Rock bands had extended guitar / piano interaction. Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Allman Brothers, and Little Feat come to mind.

If you dig around for collaborations that guys like Billy Preston did with various blues guitarists, you might be pleasantly suprised.

No other group performed more of this than The Grateful Dead, but I realize they are not embraced much on this forum.

Starship Trooper was the first song i thought of. I agree YES have many greats and of course Grateful Dead, Lynyrd Skynyrd and ABB.

A favorite of mine is Derek and the Dominos "Layla" but who hasn't heard that one a thousand times :)

Pink Floyd "Echoes", "Sheep", and "Dogs".

King Crimson "Epitaph"

The Rolling Stones "Can't You Hear Me Knocking"

Allman Brothers Band "Jessica"

Traffic "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys"

Ministry "Stigmata"

Nine Inch Nails "Wish"

Rolling Stones, Midnight Rambler live 10-17-73. It's a monster. 13 minutes of "holy shit!" B)

OMG, yes!!! You HAVE to try that one. Speaking of the Rolling Stones, I love the version of Sympathy for the Devil on the live album Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out, too. Has a great extended guitar jam, and it'll make you totally rethink everything you knew about the song, it's so different from the studio version (but just as awesome).

Thanks for the suggestions, I did mean Live, but they dont have to be.

I know and love The Allman Brothers, especially live at fillmore east.

I've not gotten into The Who yet and I always thought The Rolling Stones were to poppy for me, but I'm also ignorant as 1.5 years ago I might have said the same about Zeppelin as I didn't know any better and now they are my favorite band and have countless of my favorite songs.

I've heard Phish - You Enjoy Myself and like that a lot.

I'm actually going to the Rothbury music festival this year so I will see much of this (The Dead, Black Crowes, Gov't Mule, and maybe maybe Phish).

OMG, yes!!! You HAVE to try that one. Speaking of the Rolling Stones, I love the version of Sympathy for the Devil on the live album Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out, too. Has a great extended guitar jam, and it'll make you totally rethink everything you knew about the song, it's so different from the studio version (but just as awesome).

Anything where Mick Taylor can rock out is a good thing. He does that second solo, it's awesome and a sign of things to come for the next 5 years. Dammit I wish he'd not have left the band! <_<

What I liked about Zep's jamming was that it did tend to have alot of structure to it, you wouldnt just get a 20 min solo on one theme(which I think jazz generally does better). A few of my favourite similar tracks by other bands....

The Who - My Generation

Yes, and that would be from LIVE AT LEEDS.

There are good jams, especially on Disc 2 of The Layla Sessions : 20th Anniversary Edition [3-CD BOX SET]

41NE4P2EHDL._SS500_.jpg

Two suggestions:

Cream: Spoonful - Wheels of Fire, Live at the Fillmore (actually recorded at Winterland)

Jimi Hendrix: Machine Gun, Band of Gypsies.

Both live tracks, and both bands on top of their game. Spoonful develops with complex counterpoint rhythms and peaks and troughs, each member complimenting and playing against each other to produce a piece that could almost have been orchestrated.

Machine Gun features a guitarist on fire. Where Hendrix pulled all that from on the night is anyone's guess, but it is all made possible by the understanding of Billy Cox and Buddy Miles, who never get in the way.

RB

I'm a big Jorma Kaukonen fan, and understand he did work with Widespread Panic (a group I'm not familiar with, though). Hot Tuna was known for their live jams, and teamed up with various fiddle (Papa John Creach), keyboard, and mandolin (Barry Mitterhoff, currently) players over the years. I recommend their old live albums "Double Dose" and "First Pull up, Then Down", or looking up their current touring schedule. Jack Casady is still excellent, and typically pulls out bass solos on songs such as "Funky #7" and "99 Year Blues".

Archived