About Drumms!

eagle87

Last wensday was my first class of drumms. So... i wanna ask you (drummers) wich is the best Drumm for a begginer?

I have a magazine call Bateria Total (in spanish and pretty good), i read about the Yamaha, Pearl and Mapex.

best regards

Ludwig make cheap kits that are good for starting out, basically anything that won't fall apart is good.

It's good you're taking lessons, keep taking them until you feel you've at least got all the basics down fucking pat. Then find some good musicians to play with.

Also some tidbits of advice:

Keep your drums in tune (I wrote an easy guide on this, I'll find it and post it if you don't already know)

Listen to lots of different music, pay attention to how the drums interact with the guitar and bass. Don't just learn the notes being played, understand the rhythms being played.

Learn to read sheet music

Practice Practice Practice!!!!!

Ludwig make cheap kits that are good for starting out, basically anything that won't fall apart is good.

It's good you're taking lessons, keep taking them until you feel you've at least got all the basics down fucking pat. Then find some good musicians to play with.

Also some tidbits of advice:

Keep your drums in tune (I wrote an easy guide on this, I'll find it and post it if you don't already know)

Listen to lots of different music, pay attention to how the drums interact with the guitar and bass. Don't just learn the notes being played, understand the rhythms being played.

Learn to read sheet music

Practice Practice Practice!!!!!

Awesome!!! you're totaly right. I would like to read that guide...

Yes i'll practice, with the school drumms for now...

And thanks for the info about Louwig! ;)

Okay, to tune your drums, first, you are going to need a drum key. That looks like this.

12537.jpg

Now, what you want to do is loosen all of the tuning lugs on your drum till they are no longer exerting any tension on the drumhead. (ie, until it is possible to pull them out)

Now, you want to turn each lug about a half turn equally until you have the tone you want

It is best to do it in a criss-cross manner.

Let's assume you are tuning the snare drum, which would have eight lugs.

drumtuningpic.jpg

So you would follow each number (turning the drum key a half turn each time) and then after you've gone through once, give your drum a tap, keep doing this until you have the sound you want.

You can get a drum key at any music store for a buck or two.

It is VERY important they are equally turned, after you are done, tap the area near each tuning lug on the head to make sure each sound the same.

Okay, to tune your drums, first, you are going to need a drum key. That looks like this.

12537.jpg

Now, what you want to do is loosen all of the tuning lugs on your drum till they are no longer exerting any tension on the drumhead. (ie, until it is possible to pull them out)

Now, you want to turn each lug about a half turn equally until you have the tone you want

It is best to do it in a criss-cross manner.

Let's assume you are tuning the snare drum, which would have eight lugs.

drumtuningpic.jpg

So you would follow each number (turning the drum key a half turn each time) and then after you've gone through once, give your drum a tap, keep doing this until you have the sound you want.

You can get a drum key at any music store for a buck or two.

It is VERY important they are equally turned, after you are done, tap the area near each tuning lug on the head to make sure each sound the same.

nice!

Last wensday was my first class of drumms. So... i wanna ask you (drummers) wich is the best Drumm for a begginer?

I have a magazine call Bateria Total (in spanish and pretty good), i read about the Yamaha, Pearl and Mapex.

best regards

Gretsch makes some great sounding, affordable kits too.

Check out the Catalina models if you can. At Guitar Center, I sat down behind a kit with a 20x20 kick and it was suprisingly powerful. The set was around $500 w/o hardware.

Even starting out, you might as well get the best for your bucks. Best way is to shop around and play as many kits as you can. If you're like a lot of drummers, you'll know the one that's right.

Besides, half the fun is in the shopping.

Gretsch makes some great sounding, affordable kits too.

Check out the Catalina models if you can. At Guitar Center, I sat down behind a kit with a 20x20 kick and it was suprisingly powerful. The set was around $500 w/o hardware.

Even starting out, you might as well get the best for your bucks. Best way is to shop around and play as many kits as you can. If you're like a lot of drummers, you'll know the one that's right.

Besides, half the fun is in the shopping.

yeah, that's true...

I bean reading a magazine that calls: Bateria Total (spanish), and it's pretty good. I read the thoughs about the Mapex, Yamaha and Pearl, also the ZHT Zildjian rides, charles, crashes... etc. and some enterviews with some famous drummers. The other cool thing is that the magazines comes with a CD full of drumms sessions from several deam good songs, like Back Black-ACDC and others of Ginger Baker (Cream). It funny cause when i buy it, back in year 2006, i though: "nice, but probably never going to used..." I now im buying the magazine every month along with her sister: Guitarra Total!!!...

A very important piece of advice is that you should always remember to practice certain beats and fills in your head and tap on different surfaces to practice - usually this sort of thing comes naturally after some time, but incase, ya know...

Also, play along to some of your favourite songs.

Use two headed drums and pay close attention to tweaking the bottom heads. Although nowadays I change my drumheads often I used to leave the black dot and silver dot heads on till they were dead sounding. I'd only change them when they broke.

A very important piece of advice is that you should always remember to practice certain beats and fills in your head and tap on different surfaces to practice - usually this sort of thing comes naturally after some time, but incase, ya know...

Also, play along to some of your favourite songs.

yeah... i try to follow some of my favourite drummers but... :lol: damn is hard... but i feel realy good, and i like it.

OK, drums have been my main instrument for more than 25 years now so I'll give you a hint. I learned with my favorite record's/tape's (one being Led Zeppelin's 4th album) and a set of headphones on a jet black set of cheap Cortly drums in 1979, don't look for them I don't think they've been made for decades!

First, do you have any natural ability for rhythm? I don't mean if you can dance or not because I picked up the drums in just days (the basics) but I can't dance a step with out looking like a fool! I mean can you pick up on beat patterns by just hearing them? There is nothing wrong with learning how to read and transpose sheet music but, if you cant play a basic 4/4 beat you will be learning for a while before you can master the kit.

The thing about tuning is that most cheap drums have week/out of round rim's and shell's so they are almost imposable to keep in proper tune (unless you only tap them lightly).

With that in mind, being as I have not owned an expensive set of drums (can't afford that kind of expense), say some thing in the $5,000 - $10,000 US price range for a basic 5 piece kit but instead a set of $500.00 - $1500.00 or so adding some good cymbals to my likings. So I don't do a whole lot of precise tuning, just get them close enough to hold up.

My second set (in 1980) was a set of 1969 Ludwig's with a mother of pearl finish. I had a second tom tom as well as a covered wood snare, few more cymbals, a set of hi Roto tom's and some other goodies but, this set that Bonzo is playing here is the same kit.

http://www.total-drums.com/image-files/john-bonham8.jpg

Got them about 6 months or so after the first set of Cortly's.

The next set was a set of nice Tama Rockstar Pro DX's, I picked them up new in the early 1990's for about $1,800.00, my set was Piano White and again I added the cymbals I liked....

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t174/ra...n/Tamadrums.jpg

Soon after that I incorporated some electronic drums (Alesis D4 sound unit and some homemade triggers) into that set of Tama's, it was cheesy and I later sold the Tama's. In 1995 moved on to a set of imported (from England) Yamaha's

I don't remember the model # so I cant look them up. They where gloss black and where made by Slingerland or some other English drum company for Yamaha, and as usual I used cymbals that I think work good.

This is the kit (this is just a stock picture I found on the net) I have had for about 4 years now.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t174/ra...cMapleDrums.jpg

Basically the type of wood will make them sound different, hard wood like oak will give a tight fast (some say thin) sound, softer woods will give it a more deep loose sound. That set of Tama's I had where Canadian Birch and had both a tight and deep sound to them I think they had the best over all sound of all the kits I've owned.

Bonzolikedrumer

• 1 month later...

best regards

ok look up lessons on youtube, look up Dom Famularo, and dan brit. also just watch videos and lison 2 music, id recomend u lising 2 some bluse and jazz cuz thats like ware it all started. also practic on the pad alot!! i give privet drum lessons and the boring rudements will make u a much better drummer

I worked briefly in the drum dept. of Guitar Center (don't know what I was thinking-the noise drove me insane within a week!) and I had a chance to check out the "entry-level" kits. Most manufacturers make one. I thought the Tama kits were the best in that price range. For cymbals, you can get a decent deal on those "pre-packaged" sets, I thought Paiste had decent ones. For heads, I'd probably reccomend Remo pinstripes, just because they're pretty forgiving. Have fun!

Archived