What is the most underrated Led Zeppelin song?

^^^Great songs yet hardly underrated. They consistently show up on people's lists of favourite Led Zeppelin songs. Radio plays them a lot, too.

My picks for most underrated song is "Royal Orleans", followed closely by "Four Sticks".

On 4/16/2009 at 8:53 AM, groovetuber said:

Ya, I can see where you're coming from on that, I think it's a song everyone knows is great, but it doesn't seemed to get talked about much, and you're right, Zeppelin didn't play it much live (When did they play it?).

May 3, 1971 Copenhagen.

On 4/23/2009 at 7:24 PM, Mr. Mountain Hop said:

'Out On The Tiles' - Wish I heard a full live version of this awesome song.

You can hear full live versions on the September 4, 1970 LA Forum and September 19, 1970 evening show Madison Square Garden shows.

1 hour ago, Badgeholder Still said:

South Bound Suarez

From the album where many claim Page and Bonham were too wiped out on drugs to deliver and Plant was overcome with grief comes this consistently overlooked and maligned unique ball of high energy. Someday it'll get it's due.

Absolutely love "South Bound Saurez". You could almost make the case that all the songs from ITTOD are underrated.

7 hours ago, Strider said:

May 3, 1971 Copenhagen.

You can hear full live versions on the September 4, 1970 LA Forum and September 19, 1970 evening show Madison Square Garden shows.

Here is "Out on the Tiles from the September 4, 1970 L.A. Forum concert:

2 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Here is "Out on the Tiles from the September 4, 1970 L.A. Forum concert:

I like to give people the chance to experience the thrill of the hunt. But giving the people what they want is also cool. So in answer to your good deed, here is the other "Out On The Tiles"...from the second show at Madison Square Garden on 9.19.70.

On 24/04/2009 at 0:24 PM, Mr. Mountain Hop said:

For the general populace, every Led Zeppelin song except for 'Stairway To Heaven', 'Black Dog'. 'Rock And Roll' and 'Whole Lotta Love' are underrated.

But, as a fan:

'Hey Hey What Can I Do' - my favorite Zeppelin song.

'Black Country Woman' - acoustic blues. I mean, c'mon, it's perfect!

'Bron-Y-Aur Stomp' - sometimes I think this is the most 'fun' Zeppelin song.

'Hot Dog' - I sometimes think I'm the only fan that loves this song. Lighten up, people!

'I'm Gonna Crawl' - Simply beautiful. Possibly my favorite Plant vocal.

'For Your Life' - Every song on Presence except 'Achilles' Last Stand' and 'Nobody's Fault But Mine' are rather underrated, but this song especially.

'Sick Again' - Simply awesome.

'What Is And What Should Never Be' - You know, this is probably my favorite song on II.

'Carouselambra' - Not one of the better tunes on In Through The Out Door, but still terrific.

'Out On The Tiles' - Wish I heard a full live version of this awesome song.

'Celebration Day' - while I'm glad I have heard a few live versions of this equally awesome song.

'Night Flight' - Along with 'Ten Years Gone', it's the best track on the second record of Physical Graffiti. Admit it! :D

Say, how underrated would you say 'Houses of the Holy' and 'Trampled Under Foot' are? They're just so damn awesome, I'm starting to think they're the best songs the band ever did. Especially true with 'TUF'.

Wow, pretty much exactly ^this! I'd only add The Wanton Song. It does not get the props ot deserves. A simple pub rock song, but killer. And that organ bit in the middle! epic. Oh and when the re-releases came out and I had starved myself from Zep for a few months as a build up, When I heard Babe I'm Gonna Leave You - I had to stop listening as I was so overcome by the fact this was just the second song off their first album and I couldn't beleive it. (I may or may not have been a tad high).

18 hours ago, Strider said:

^^^Great songs yet hardly underrated. They consistently show up on people's lists of favourite Led Zeppelin songs. Radio plays them a lot, too.

My picks for most underrated song is "Royal Orleans", followed closely by "Four Sticks".

Agree with both.  I didn't rate "Four Sticks" highly until the P/P shows with the orchestral backing.  Been in love with it ever since and really like the companion disc version.  It's more raw and aggressive, IMO.

15 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

South Bound Suarez

From the album where many claim Page and Bonham were too wiped out on drugs to deliver and Plant was overcome with grief comes this consistently overlooked and maligned unique ball of high energy. Someday it'll get it's due.

Absolutely!  Anytime I put together a Zep disc for the car, 9 times out of 10 SBS ends up on there.  Wish they would've had a slightly different version on the companion disc, just for a different perspective - like "The Epic".

For me, "Celebration Day" is my favorite underrated gem.  Not so much in Zeppelin circles, as it was featured on two separate tours - plus the '79 shows.  But I rarely have heard it on the radio, even during 'Get The Led Out' segments - unless, of course, I was the dj....

My picks (I've finally got them in order!):

Candy Store Rock

For Your Life

Hots On For Nowhere

Royal Orleans

The Crunge

South Bound Suarez

Out On The Tiles

Celebration Day

Brilliant songs but so bloody underrated, IMHO! 

OK. Don't laugh. Because of songs like Candy Store Rock, Hots On For Nowhere, For Your Life, Tea For One, Achilles Last Stand and of course, the brilliant and explosive Nobody's Fault But Mine, Presence has been my favourite Led Zeppelin album of all time, for years - above PG, IV, etc. Yes siree, Bob!!! :P 

7 minutes ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

My picks:

Royal Orleans

The Crunch

For Your Life

South Bound Suarez

Out On The Tiles

Celebration Day

"The Crunch"  Hee hee.  Predictive text ?

Does Led Zep have any overrated songs?  :elvis2:

One can never rate a Zep song too highly, but I do think "Hot Dog" is probably underappreciated.

South Bound Saurez was the first underrated to come to mind, then Candy Store Rock.   

The Wanton Song is buried on Side  4 of PS, but I dunno - is anything on I, II, IV, HotH or PS really underrated? I was pretty damn stoked when Jimmy and the Black Crowes kicked into that when I saw them, so I did feel at one point that it might be one of those underrated gems.

You Shook Me.. 

Even the boys dropped it from their live set pretty early. It has possibly the meanest, coolest tone Jimmy Page ever got out of an electric guitar.. Yep it's a cover, Jeff Beck was pissed LZ also covered it. .. It kicks ass on all levels. I've heard it on the radio maybe a half dozen times in 40+ years..

Out on the Tiles.I remember a band I was in tried it and we couldn't get it, and that was before we thought about the vocals.

That's The Way.Saw a folk band do it,acoustic guitar,bass,flute,autoharp,female vocals.Magic.

Tea for One.Many say its too slow and plodding.But it breathes,Plants vocals are world weary but haunting as is Page's magic solo.

Led Zeppelin's most underrated song, in my opinion, is Led Zeppelin's greatest song:

In the Light (you will find the road...):

I really and honestly think that In the Light is the Greatest Song of all-time.  If anyone wants to challenge Me or question Me on this, I am and will always be available to answer and defend MY choices and comments. 

Since this question can be interpreted in so many ways I'm gonna stretch the interpretation further:

Without a doubt, all of the Firm, Outrider, and Plant's first solo album deserved much MUCH more attention/appreciation.

Otherwise, by the rules, acoustic stuff from III, and a lot of Presence - I guess

• 2 weeks later...

I find these songs from each album are underrated:

LZI: your time is gonna come 

LZII: thank you

LZIII:  friends, hats off

LZIV: four sticks

HOTH: dancing days

Physical graffiti: in the light, down by the seaside, boogie with stu, black country woman

presence: hots on for nowhere

ITTOD: south bound saurez, im gonna crawl

coda: wearing and tearing

bbc sessions: something else

HTWWW: hello mary lou

Archived