What is the most underrated Led Zeppelin song?

That's the Way

Royal Orleans (this one really swings but never seems to turn up on anyone's best list)

Out on the Tiles (you have to have a helluva singing range to sing this one)

The Rover

In the Light

Hearing all these choices, I really thought of something, Just mentioned was Royal Orleans, which I also agree swings and 

is underrated. I really think that there isn't one Zep song that doesn't have at least one element or quality that is very good to outstanding. D'yer Mak'er, Bonzo's drums sound great. Down By The Seaside sounds great around a fire, although

in many other environments, maybe too tame. Boogie With Stu sounds good in a long drinking session in a bar, the piano

particularly sounding very festive as your alcohol fog deepens. Ah, it's all subjective, but thank god for JIMMY PAGE

leaving even so called "clunkers" with some redeeming qualities.

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, kipper said:

Stairway to heaven is the most underated song they have because it never plays on the radio anymore.

Well...Achilles Last Stand and In My Time Of Dying are better songs and each one of these have never gotten the air time as the aforementioned.  Down with Stairway, hail to ALS & IMTOD!

Take time out and have another listen at d'yer m'ker .

an interestingly positioned track which IMHO  shows the skill with which these album were sequenced. The solo is calm and measured . A great contrast to the rest of the album.

On 22/09/2016 at 2:24 AM, John M said:

Tea for One.  I consider it one of their best ever.  An amazing feel to it, so much emotion.  It was always overshadowed by SIBLY, which has vintage primal Plant, but I think if Tea For One had been played on the 1977 tour it would have become more of a fan favorite. 

Yeah... THIS.  'Tea For One' is a monster of a blues lament, why they never played it on the '77 tour is beyond me, maybe it was too personal for Robert Plant to perform every night, seeing as it was about being terribly homesick... definitely underrated by any standard.

The term 'underrated' is such a relative and elastic term, but just for the sake of discussion, the single most underrated Zeppelin track relative to it's merits is undoubtedly 'Carouselambra'... divisive it may be, but it's utterly brilliant in that it's three very distinct and different movements in one song that shouldn't hold together as a single entity, but it works like gangbusters and perhaps hinted at how the band may have went forward on that next album had Bonzo not went berserk on the Vodkas that fateful night.

Not exactly a full song, but that mid-section break on 'Down By The Seaside' is a BEAST of a thing... staggeringly good, and proof at just how instinctive and innovative Zeppelin were, that they could, on a dime, turn a song round, make it something else entirely... and STILL pull it off with aplomb.

• 1 month later...

This topic is a good one.  There are many songs that are great that are not as popular in the mainstream as they could be.  I think a few of the songs on the 3rd album that were already mentioned are overlooked by the critics because of the acoustics and it threw them for a loop maybe moreso in the states IDK, but that album truly showcases their ability to diversify.  the first 2 albums show their power and their roots in blues/american rock.  Although they did have songs like ramble on to name one that were different.  The third album shows their true versatility and artistic ability.  that was and still is my personal favorite album.  

As far as picking one song that's rather difficult.  I am sure this is not the right answer.  But if I had to pick the absolute best led zeppelin song that some people may not know about... I would also pick in the light.  I love the hurdy gurdy/roberts vocals/ and love the stability of bonzo's drums in that one.  The words are amazing.  For the people that try to label zep as a dark/evil band which in my opinion is absolute rubbish... if you listen to the words and message of this song it is one of the more uplifting ones that you will ever encounter.  

there is a song that I don't believe was mentioned that I will.   It is very close to my favorite and it is no quarter.  Now this one is not among the most underrated in my opinion because page/plant used it as a title for their tour/album(Albeit without jonesey) and it was a mainstay in their concerts.  But as far as mainstream goes I don't know that it is necessarily considered one of their highest in the ratings.  I just don't get how they make a song like that.  Everything about it is exceptional.   the music, the lyrics, all top notch.  

On 12/28/2016 at 0:31 AM, Clinton P. Desveaux said:

Hot Dog

I do love that one.  I think i heard plant say once that he considered it a western/country style(for them haha).  Just another one that shows their ability as a band to do something different and make it sound majestic.  I also loved the other songs on that album.  all of them.  fool in the rain/all of my love get a lot of air time in the states.  my favorite song off that album is im gonna crawl.  

• 1 month later...

I would say Achilles Last Stand or Ten Year's Gone. I LOVE Stairway and Kashmir (typically the two most respected works from LZ), but I actually like these songs better, along with The Rain Song. I think many serious LZ fans would cite Achilles as being underrated, but only in the sense that you just never hear it on radio due to its length. It was actually the one song that I was surprised they left out of the O2 set list since Page and Plant love it so much. Maybe Robert felt he couldn't hit the notes on that one?

• 1 month later...

Archived