ARMS Concerts

There's an official video out. Have seen it in stores.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ARMS-CONCERT-1-2-ERIC-...p3286.m20.l1116

That's just the full version from London's Royal Albert Hall. Nothing else has been officially released regarding the U.S. shows of 1983. Just YouTube for now. The quality is quite good of the clips I've seen as I was there for the MSG show that's on the site.

That's just the full version from London's Royal Albert Hall. Nothing else has been officially released regarding the U.S. shows of 1983. Just YouTube for now. The quality is quite good of the clips I've seen as I was there for the MSG show that's on the site.

Yeah,

The NYC Arms concert footage on Youtube seems fantastic. And Jimmy seems on fire. Very interested in feedback from that specific show.

• 2 years later...

I've got some pro-shot footage of Jimmy performing at the Cow Palace in San Francisco on Dec 1st (50 min 25 sec) & Dec 2nd (63 min 49 sec) archived.

Also two Los Angeles Forum newscast reports that aired on Dec 5th, one from Channel 7 (2 min 30 sec) and one from Channel 2 (30 sec).

• 1 year later...

Recently I happened across the DVD of the A.R.M.S. concert from 1983 at the Royal Albert Hall. That is the roughest I've ever seen Page, or anyone else for that matter who didn't fall off the stage. I'm not trying to be cruel or unkind, but wonder if this performance is indicative of his work in the 80s. I saw Led Zep back in '70 and '71 live, then not again until the O2 concert, so I was really surprised to see him in that shape.

Recently I happened across the DVD of the A.R.M.S. concert from 1983 at the Royal Albert Hall. That is the roughest I've ever seen Page, or anyone else for that matter who didn't fall off the stage. I'm not trying to be cruel or unkind, but wonder if this performance is indicative of his work in the 80s. I saw Led Zep back in '70 and '71 live, then not again until the O2 concert, so I was really surprised to see him in that shape.

Not in any way was that indicative of his 80's work, I saw him in 85' with The Firm and 88' solo and he was excellent both times, clean and sober in fine form.

From what I have heard Jimmy was wasted off his tuckus at the 83' RAH show for ARMS and thus played like shit, however for the American gig's he was playing very well and acted healthy and alert. Fine performances all around.

Not in any way was that indicative of his 80's work, I saw him in 85' with The Firm and 88' solo and he was excellent both times, clean and sober in fine form.

From what I have heard Jimmy was wasted off his tuckus at the 83' RAH show for ARMS and thus played like shit, however for the American gig's he was playing very well and acted healthy and alert. Fine performances all around.

Thanks Sag Rising, that's good to hear because he's such a talent. I seriously thought people in the front row at the Albert's Hall show were going to have a Jimmy visitor.

From my limited knowledge I've come to understand that Jimmy had dabbled with drugs as early as the mid to late sixties, but became more or less a semi-functional addict around 76-77 and this lasted until the mid 80's when, thankfully, he kicked it once and for all.

I think the London subway incident may have been a tipping point. This is when he was either arrested or taken into custody because he was wandering the subway in an apparent drug induced state of mental confusion. That in and of itself could have ended very badly IMO. But its been a long time since I read about that so the dates and circumstances may be wrong. Perhapes someone else can pull that info up.

Either way I agree. I think there may have been several times Jimmy pushed fate with that stuff and was lucky to be alive and kicking at the other end. But he did, and looks and sounds fantastic today. Not unlike the Brian Wilson (who may have been worse actually).

And agreed, physicaly he looks bad there. I saw a video of him talking to Clapton backstage at one of these events and was struck at how frail he looked. Far worse than even Knebworth, and he was pretty frail then. But at least there he still had a "glow" on his face. At this event his face was pale, and almost "mask like". A common look of those who are having big time trouble with booze and or drugs.

I think the London subway incident may have been a tipping point. This is when he was either arrested or taken into custody because he was wandering the subway in an apparent drug induced state of mental confusion. That in and of itself could have ended very badly IMO. But its been a long time since I read about that so the dates and circumstances may be wrong. Perhaps someone else can pull that info up.

19821006DailyStarUK.jpg

In December 1981, Jimmy was apprehended near the Swan Song Offices in Fulham and found to be in the possession of 198 milligrams of cocaine in his coat pocket. Consequently, on October 5, 1982 Judge Alastair Troup sentenced him to a twelve month conditional discharge and fined him 100 GBP.

19841106TheTimes-1.jpg

The Times, November 6, 1984 (London)

On September 6, 1984 Jimmy was cited again for cocaine possession, this time by a suspicious bobby at a London train station. Consequently, on November 5, 1984 at Royal Crown Court in London, Jimmy was fined 450 GBP (the equivalent of $567) by magistrate Brendan Mitchell. Mitchell showed leniency as it was known The Firm were set to tour at the end of the month and, as before, a prison sentence would have kept substantial taxation of the proceeds out of Inland Revenue Service's coffers.

Edited by SteveAJones

There are some who say the ARMS shows pretty much saved Jimmy. After Zeppelin ended he kinda locked himself up at Plumpton and was struggling with his addiction; then Clapton, Beck and friends took him out to play and he went out there again and started to deal with the addiction a bit better.

Wow thanks Steve. Didnt know about the first time that happened. Thankfully the judge showed some slack or the Firm may have been derailed before they even got off the ground.

I just wonder if that same sort of leniency would be afforded any ordinary joe? I hope so. I hate that sort of double standard.

Page doesn't even look like himself in that news clipping! Good thing he eventually cleaned up.

For me the most striking aspect of Page's ARMS-era physique isn't his being swizzle-stick thin, nor his sporting the scruffiest haircut in rock, it's that frightening gap between his teeth, possibly stemming from a calcium deficiency on account of addiction.

The photo published in the October 6, 1982 Daily Star article was actually taken on May, 17, 1979 when Jimmy was guest of honor at a reopening ceremony for Philips Harbour (aka Harrow Harbour) near Caithness, Scotland.

several friends and I set up chairs at Reunion Arena for this concert and were present during pre-check and sound check. Page sat at a table on platform stage left with Clapton, was emotional and demonstratively edgy- Page would repeatedly stand up and sit down, a great deal of hand and arm gesturing while in conversation with Clapton. Page was being urged to do lead during a couple of songs and Clapton told him that it was going to happen- that "the spotlight will find you and to play." Page pushed back at not being comfortable with it, Clapton smiled a lot and didn't budge. "You came here to play so play my friend. I want to hear you play." The banter went back and forth for at least 5 minutes. During the show before the first encore it happened again. Clapton told him it was going to happen. Page backed out during Layla- just played the riff only. Passed on the solo.

Jimmy did a total of maybe 45 secs sound check, his tech did the rest.

During the concert I thought he was amazing and Jeff Beck & Eric Clapton did a great deal to encourage him during the show. Looks, comments and body language was just- go !!! Page's sound was terrific and the sound man did him right in the mix too. Tulsa Time was the best of the night for lead work, the STH was a little creepy seeing no Bonzo, Jone or Plant. Gotta say that seeing and hearing Clapton and Beck play lead underneath Jimmy's lead work was greatness.

Wow thanks Steve. Didnt know about the first time that happened. Thankfully the judge showed some slack or the Firm may have been derailed before they even got off the ground. I just wonder if that same sort of leniency would be afforded any ordinary joe? I hope so. I hate that sort of double standard.

Just to bring us back on topic, somewhere in my archive I have a photograph taken on September 20, 1983 of Jimmy pleading with a constable not to tow his illegally-parked car away from Royal Albert Hall. This occured shortly after the afternoon soundcheck.

:lol:

Just to bring us back on topic, somewhere in my archive I have a photograph taken on September 20, 1983 of Jimmy pleading with a constable not to tow his illegally-parked car away from Royal Albert Hall. This occured shortly after the afternoon soundcheck.

:lol:

Can you post it Steve? That could be good for a laugh! :redcard::soapbox: