Houston 5/21/77

snapper

I am 100% confident that at least one CCTV recording exists and a Pro-Shot recording exists.

Too many accounts out of Houston of it being shown at New Year's parties at a particular athlete's home.

links to similar topics:

http://zeppelincolle...&cat=257&page=1

If no cameramen were visible on stage how can you be so sure?

no camera people on the basketball court during a game either and they are filmed

The Summit had in house cameras throughout as most American arenas do to meet insurance requirements. The professional sports teams who leased The Summit had their own sets of cameras installed. The Summit contracted a local company to provide additional video exlusively for patrons throughout the venue- big screens, score boards and common areas. THIS is the video that is reported to exist and in the possession of a former pro athelete and its THIS video that said athelete has shown during New Year's eve bashes at his home. As for "Pro Shot" I do not know. It's difficult for me to grasp that several someones thought it was a bad and unworthwhile idea to record the #1 act in the world at the newest and best #1 arena in the country (at the time). I do not know anyone who recalls seeing the big screens used during the LZ show, I do know people who say 100% they could see the concert on small screens in the common areas within The Summit when they were not in their seats.

no camera people on the basketball court during a game either and they are filmed

The Summit had in house cameras throughout as most American arenas do to meet insurance requirements. The professional sports teams who leased The Summit had their own sets of cameras installed. The Summit contracted a local company to provide additional video exlusively for patrons throughout the venue- big screens, score boards and common areas. THIS is the video that is reported to exist and in the possession of a former pro athelete and its THIS video that said athelete has shown during New Year's eve bashes at his home. As for "Pro Shot" I do not know. It's difficult for me to grasp that several someones thought it was a bad and unworthwhile idea to record the #1 act in the world at the newest and best #1 arena in the country (at the time). I do not know anyone who recalls seeing the big screens used during the LZ show, I do know people who say 100% they could see the concert on small screens in the common areas within The Summit when they were not in their seats.

How do you know that the tapes are in possetion of a former Pro athlete? That doesn't sound like a good argument, and if they were at some point in his hands, they were probably sold for a some big cash. They are either changing owners from time to time or forgotten in an attic.

no one is interested in an arguement mage/rogue

if word is to be believed the most recent showing was New Year's of 2007, not changing owners and not forgotten in an attic- he knows what he has and he does not have a price, its been offered so I am told. He also reputedly has video of nearly every rock concert every performed at The Summit including the Aerosmith concert 4 weeks after LZ played The Summit. His is C Tape stereo from CCTV.

KHOU news cast showed video of LZ during the encore and the news anchor said,"Just as Led Zeppelin began their encore song their guitarist took a nasty spill while retaking the stage. He got right up with a big smile and Led Zeppelin continue to rock The Summit in Houston." They got video of it and a whole lot more that :22 seconds during a news snippet.

How do you know that the tapes are in possetion of a former Pro athlete? That doesn't sound like a good argument, and if they were at some point in his hands, they were probably sold for a some big cash. They are either changing owners from time to time or forgotten in an attic.

What's the odds of us maybe getting this athletes name? Do you know who he is and for some reason you don't want to give the name? I think we need a little more info on this person to try to somehow get this DVD OF 5-21-1977; I tried Rick Barret's site but no luck!!! I BET HE HAS A COPY!!!

What's the odds of us maybe getting this athletes name? Do you know who he is and for some reason you don't want to give the name? I think we need a little more info on this person to try to somehow get this DVD OF 5-21-1977; I tried Rick Barret's site but no luck!!! I BET HE HAS A COPY!!!

if word is to be believed the most recent showing was New Year's of 2007, not changing owners and not forgotten in an attic- he knows what he has and he does not have a price, its been offered so I am told. He also reputedly has video of nearly every rock concert every performed at The Summit including the Aerosmith concert 4 weeks after LZ played The Summit. His is C Tape stereo from CCTV.

KHOU news cast showed video of LZ during the encore and the news anchor said,"Just as Led Zeppelin began their encore song their guitarist took a nasty spill while retaking the stage. He got right up with a big smile and Led Zeppelin continue to rock The Summit in Houston." They got video of it and a whole lot more that :22 seconds during a news snippet.

Well guess I was wrong then. Anyway, what one can assume from this is that if a famous player from back in the day has this show, so does Jimmy Page, or it's in his archives, and he probably won't release it because he didn't multitrack it.

This alone would be great to see. Does the station archive their news broadcasts?

WFAA in Dallas does archive, have no idea about KHOU

I went to their website and it does not offer an active archive search back to 1977 like DallasNews.com does for members

http://www.khou.com/results?exactmatch=false&keywords=%22led+zeppelin%22&searchwss=site&itemcount=25&order=date&submit=Search&searchdate=5%2F21%2F77&searchend=5%2F22%2F77&videoresults=true&ugc=true&articles=true

This alone would be great to see. Does the station archive their news broadcasts?

I went to their website and it does not offer an active archive search back to 1977 like DallasNews.com does for members

http://www.khou.com/results?exactmatch=false&keywords=%22led+zeppelin%22&searchwss=site&itemcount=25&order=date&submit=Search&searchdate=5%2F21%2F77&searchend=5%2F22%2F77&videoresults=true&ugc=true&articles=true

I think first we need a confirmation that there WAS a camera filming the event. Any photos?

I thought that it was agreed that the "common eye" wouldn't have seen any cameras that night.

EDIT: Just looked at the Led Zeppelin website and there are only two photos available.

David Zoso has several photos of The Summit show

CCTV1

CCTV2

a contract with a local company to film every event at the venue

people having seen a video of the show

...and most of all presented by Jerry Weintraub. He doesn't do squat without a crew.

all this and "we" need confirmation of a camera? I don't.

David Zoso has several photos of The Summit show

CCTV1

CCTV2

a contract with a local company to film every event at the venue

people having seen a video of the show

...and most of all presented by Jerry Weintraub. He doesn't do squat without a crew.

all this and "we" need confirmation of a camera? I don't.

Even if the show does exist on tape, it's not like it's gonna leak anytime soon, so...

Unfortunately, I think even if Houston 77 was ever released, there would be a very high likelihood that most people would watch it once and then continue on to waiting for the next big thing. Happens to so many shows, including all of those 75 soundboards.

We already have the soundboard for Houston, and we have a rough audio from Pontiac. Both shows have video out there, but because neither show is regarded as being particularly legendary (Bonham's drumming at Houston, and the attendance record at Pontiac aside), I think that that video would quickly go the way of Seattle 77. People had been waiting decades for Seattle, sharing all of those brief song segments in varying quality, and then it finally got released and all people could talk about was how bad the performance was.

Even for the more common videos out there, how often does the average person really watch Earls Court or Knebworth?

Unfortunately, I think even if Houston 77 was ever released, there would be a very high likelihood that most people would watch it once and then continue on to waiting for the next big thing. Happens to so many shows, including all of those 75 soundboards.

We already have the soundboard for Houston, and we have a rough audio from Pontiac. Both shows have video out there, but because neither show is regarded as being particularly legendary (Bonham's drumming at Houston, and the attendance record at Pontiac aside), I think that that video would quickly go the way of Seattle 77. People had been waiting decades for Seattle, sharing all of those brief song segments in varying quality, and then it finally got released and all people could talk about was how bad the performance was.

Even for the more common videos out there, how often does the average person really watch Earls Court or Knebworth?

If there's one thing I've learned from Zeppelin, is that you can't count on the average persons tastes. If it was for the average people and not for real fans, zeppelin might as well have just released an album with different renditions of Stairway.

If there's one thing I've learned from Zeppelin, is that you can't count on the average persons tastes. If it was for the average people and not for real fans, zeppelin might as well have just released an album with different renditions of Stairway.

True, but I think when it comes to live recordings, we often obsess about what we don't have, when we already have most (if not all) of the known legendary performances by the band available already in some form.

We always want more, and sometimes we don't really know why. So things like "soundboards" and "videos" of already circulating shows get obsessed over, even when we already have a document of the performance, and we know that it wasn't really one of the truly great shows the band did.

Archived