The Killers Want To Knock Led Zep Off Their Pedistool

MightyZep

I could give a shit about the Killers but the guy does have a point and I see it on this site quite often. People stuck in the past, unwilling to accept anything new unless it sounds somewhat similar to Led Zeppelin.

I could give a shit about the Killers but the guy does have a point and I see it on this site quite often. People stuck in the past, unwilling to accept anything new unless it sounds somewhat similar to Led Zeppelin.

Hi Jahfin

People like what they like, if some band gets my attention by playing half as good as Zepp then i'm willing to listen to them.

A mix of chords, arpeggios and blistering guitar solos with a good mix of exotic organ improvisation, fantasticy fast and accurate drumming and a lead singer with long golden curly hair that can reach notes that aint even there and can sing about Middle Earth like he was brought up there, might just do the trick, am i asking too much?

Regards, Danny

Interesting considering Zep felt the UK didn't embrace them the way the US did especially when they started out.

I see very little comparison between the bands and lets face it the music usually speaks for itself in the end whoever the band is.

Wasn't Hendrix embraced more in England than the US in the beginning too?

The great difference between The Killers and Led Zeppelin is easily explained.

When Zep reformed for one gig 20.000 people came.

Might the Killers ever break up and reform for a one off gig they can play in a phone booth together with all their fans.

Somebody needs to tell him that it's just music what's with all the drama? It looks like he's making a big deal out of it, he should be grateful for what he has accomplished so far.

I think folks are missing the gist of Flowers' comments. He's not saying the Killers are better or more popular than Zeppelin or Nirvana, he's saying some music fans in the States seem to be totally unaccepting of anything new. Though it's not true of everyone that posts here, I've noticed the very same thing on this board. Those that are into new music are in the vast minority. There's more choices than ever before to discover new artists yet so many only want to hear what they're accustomed to.

I think folks are missing the gist of Flowers' comments. He's not saying the Killers are better or more popular than Zeppelin or Nirvana, he's saying some music fans in the States seem to be totally unaccepting of anything new. Though it's not true of everyone that posts here, I've noticed the very same thing on this board. Those that are into new music are in the vast minority. There's more choices than ever before to discover new artists yet so many only want to hear what they're accustomed to.

I actually love new music, I even create new music,

but still I think this Killers guy is just craving for some attention.

(Zappa would have said "Shut up and play yer guitar")

Ok I can understand what he's saying. It's hard though to change that kind of mentality, but it's also that some ppl are happy with the bands they listen to or have listened through the years and have no desire or need at all to know new contemporary bands, on the other hand you have ppl that dismiss everything that is old or not contemporary, so I don't know what is he talking about because I would guess that are plenty of ppl ready to embrace new music probably more than the others.

I actually love new music, I even create new music,

but still I think this Killers guy is just craving for some attention.

(Zappa would have said "Shut up and play yer guitar")

Well said. B)

In order to knock off Zeppelin or Nirvana, first you must write music that is great and will also stand the test of time...Don't see it happening...Sorry Killers! keep dreamin

That's right. I think we should let the music do the talking. If The Killers music brings on hordes of people, than so be it. If it doesn't, then it doesn't. Deal with it the correct way Flowers. Please don't turn it around on us.

To achieve something like what Zeppelin and Nirvana did, you have to be gifted songwriters and have an individual mystique. It's not something one can necessarily make up. If you've got it, you got it. The Beatles are remembered for what they did because they were geniuses at writing 3 minute songs. It's not that easy, but they, along with other bands like Zeppelin and Nirvana, make it look that easy. Having the formula of the "IT" band is one in a billion. The Killers don't have it.

There is one way of course to beat Zep and Nirvana but it ain't subtle.

Come on Flowers, go ahead and shoot yourself through the head while choking on your vomit simultaneously (And become the legendary man that killed the Killers).

If you really can pull that off I will buy your action figure on Ebay.

:D :D :D

(This was purely written for sarcastic purpose, not to promote suicide)

I took him to mean that he wishes people in the states were more open to new music, rather than worshiping bands from the past, and his wanting to knock them off their pedistool was more in the sense of being open to new bands having potential to be iconic in their own way.

I think Flowers' statements seem pretty egotistical and arrogant. Led Zeppelin deserves their pedastal. They only changed the face of rock and roll, for heaven's sakes!! And I am not stuck in the past. I mean, my tastes do gravitate towards older songs, but that's because they were written by people with TALENT! I do enjoy modern music, however, and I do think there is some talent out there. All I can say at this point is... oh, brother. :rolleyes:

I think Flowers' statements seem pretty egotistical and arrogant. Led Zeppelin deserves their pedastal. They only changed the face of rock and roll, for heaven's sakes!! And I am not stuck in the past. I mean, my tastes do gravitate towards older songs, but that's because they were written by people with TALENT! I do enjoy modern music, however, and I do think there is some talent out there. All I can say at this point is... oh, brother. :rolleyes:

I don't think it was meant that way - well at least I didn't read it that way. He's not saying Zep aren't great but encouraging people to make room for new bands too. Again, that's how I read it and certainly I could be wrong.

I don't think it was meant that way - well at least I didn't read it that way. He's not saying Zep aren't great but encouraging people to make room for new bands too. Again, that's how I read it and certainly I could be wrong.

I understand what you're saying, ninelives. I could be wrong in the way I interpreted it, too. That's the problem with these kinds of articles! I usually interpret things differently. :) Flowers probably didn't mean to sound egotistical, but it sounded that way to me.

I'm not a Killers fan, but I understand his point. They're in the same vein as Kings of Leon, really - both are selling out arena tours in the UK, yet they're still trying to get mainstream success in their home country. I'm sure that that kind of frustration wasn't lost on Zeppelin. It's understandable.

Though, I must say, I don't think Zeppelin or Nirvana need worry just yet. It's not about worshipping old bands, it's about bringing forth new bands, and, for me, the Killers don't set themselves apart from any other rock/pop four-piece out there. I've got their first album, and that was alright, but the rest of their work just sounds too similar.

Kings of Leon, however, should've made that statement. They have a much better chance of succeeding Zeppelin.

I understand what you're saying, ninelives. I could be wrong in the way I interpreted it, too. That's the problem with these kinds of articles! I usually interpret things differently. :) Flowers probably didn't mean to sound egotistical, but it sounded that way to me.

I hear what you are saying as well - his statements are easily interpreted in different ways.

:)

I took him to mean that he wishes people in the states were more open to new music, rather than worshiping bands from the past, and his wanting to knock them off their pedistool was more in the sense of being open to new bands having potential to be iconic in their own way.

That's exactly how I interpreted it but you and I seem to be in the minority on that front. I still haven't figured out what a "pedistool" is yet though.

That's exactly how I interpreted it but you and I seem to be in the minority on that front. I still haven't figured out what a "pedistool" is yet though.

A kind of shitty one legged chair!? :slapface:

If the music is any good it'll stand the test of time.

There is a lot of good new music and a lot of shit too.

Not to be specific, "metal" of any kind is like rap, it all sounds the same, IMO.

I like The Killers but whatever context his comment was I don't think Zeppelin is under any threat.

Their music is timeless and cross generational.

Besides many have tried to take the mantle only to have failed.

Archived