The Killers Want To Knock Led Zep Off Their Pedistool

MightyZep

Does it really matter what some dumb-fuck from vegas thinks about Led Zep?

Yeah, fuck him. And anyone else that talks shit about Led zeppelin.

Sorry, I'v'e been drinkin'...and smokin'...again. Notice the un-capitalized Z?

Sorry, I'v'e been drinkin'...and smokin'...again. Notice the un-capitalized Z?

Jeez, an un capitalized Z

That's BlasphemY

May Cthulhu have mercy on your poor soul.

Jeez, an un capitalized Z

That's BlasphemY

May Cthulhu have mercy on your poor soul.

Never thought I could have so much fun with a thread concerning 'the Killers'.

Maybe I should listen to some of their music? (just kidding, I've heard it). Nuff' said.

Ledzep45 is right; there aren't too many groups who are willing to take musical chances and create anything new these days; if they weren't so narrow minded, if they weren't so caught up with this narcissistic attitude of "look at me everybody" maybe we would see better and more interesting bands out there. Not bad for a 13 year old!

I think a good example is prog rock. People played the music cause they loved it and they experimented a lot using different instruments in different ways:

Oh how i love keith emersons madness :lol:

I think a good example is prog rock. People played the music cause they loved it and they experimented a lot using different instruments in different ways:

Oh how i love keith emersons madness :lol:

Great video, thanks!

Thank goodness more than a few of us seem to get the point of the article. I guess the rest are too caught up in their Zeppelin fandom to actually get it.

Would you like for music to never change, grow or progress? If it hadn't grown since it's beginnings we'd all still be listening to a caveman pound on a rock. I know a lot of folks here would prefer to be stuck in the 70s and have all music still sound like that but not I. Am I a fan of music from that time period? Most certainly but I also love music from the present day. I'm not just a fan of rock n' roll but I'm also into country, folk, bluegrsss, ska, zydeco, reggae, etc.

Thank goodness they don't. Like I've said, it's a little thing called growth and progression.

Agreed! I love music from the 60s and 70s. No denying there were a ton of groundbreaking bands but I don't think there hasn't been any groundbreaking or fantastic bands since then. I'm a fan of music of most genres and I welcome change and new sounds. I just don't buy the attitude that there hasn't been anything worth a damn since the late 70s.

Agreed! I love music from the 60s and 70s. No denying there were a ton of groundbreaking bands but I don't think there hasn't been any groundbreaking or fantastic bands since then. I'm a fan of music of most genres and I welcome change and new sounds. I just don't buy the attitude that there hasn't been anything worth a damn since the late 70s.

I just did read that Skunk Anansie are going to reform, I love them, Skin has more balls than most male singers.

(And yeah, Ninelives, it's great to see music grow and evolve....else we would be still hugging trees, although there ain't nothing wrong with that.... lolol)

I'm usually a lurker on this site, but I ponder the popularity of different music quite often. I was fortunate to be born about 10 years too late (1966) to see all the great acts in their prime, but was blessed to live next to hippies in 1972 who turned me onto great music. Deep Purple's Machine Head was my first album, 3rd grade. I had the current favorites at the time, such as Kiss , Van Halen, and Frampton, but went back to discover Elvis and the Beatles, and eventually Zep, the who and Pink Floyd. Currently I expose my 5 year old daughter to a lot of stuff, she loves "Immigrant Song" the best, but dances to "Shine on you Crazy Diamond" every time "Pulse" is on the TV. Music is a strange beast, and when you create it to share, you put your heart and soul on the line like playing a hand of cards, for all the world to see and judge. Some hands are just better than others, and those are the ones that will stay with us forever. Do the Killers paint pictures in the mind's of their listeners that identify a specific moment in their lives? I don't know. They don't for me. But neither did Nirvana. I discover something new every time I listen to Zep, and Pink Floyd for that matter, and they are still painting those pictures, changing with the moments of my life.

Thanks Knebby, Steve, Miss Honeydripper, and so many others, I love your passion and knowledge.

I took him to mean that he wishes people in the states were more open to new music, rather than worshiping bands from the past, and his wanting to knock them off their pedistool was more in the sense of being open to new bands having potential to be iconic in their own way.

I agree, that is how I see it. Not too familiar with the Killers, but I am always open to discovering new music.

There was more talent back then, and i think muscisions are, sort of afraid to do what musicions done back then.

I, for one, am glad musicians aren't forever trying to replicate what may have worked in the 60s and 70s. I also don't agree that "there was more talent back then". There's just as much talent today (if not more) and even more avenues to find it.

I can imagine his feelings, I can totally understand his vibe of mind but still his remarks remind me too much of that punk guy's remarks about throwing up at Zeppelin album covers way back in the seventies.

Joe Strummer of the Clash? While I may disagree with his opinion of Zep's album covers I don't disagree with his right to express an opinion which is all that he was doing. The Clash were legendary in their own right, though for entirely different reasons than Zep. Still, they made a huge impact on music that is still being felt today.

There are many bands/acts who have sold more albums ( Metallica, Iron Maiden, Abba, Britney Spears.....and lots more) that don't whine bout them not beeing well received and going to be the next big thing.

Perhaps the reason they're not whining is because all the artists you've mentioned did sell millions of albums and were well received. Not to mention, I don't see Flowers' remarks as "whining". He's simply stating the truth about how unaccepting some music fans are of anything new. Some of the responses in this thread are a prime example of that.

Ledzep45 is right; there aren't too many groups who are willing to take musical chances and create anything new these days; if they weren't so narrow minded, if they weren't so caught up with this narcissistic attitude of "look at me everybody" maybe we would see better and more interesting bands out there. Not bad for a 13 year old!

I think there's a ton of great artists out there today and as I previously mentioned, in this day and age there's even more ways to find them than ever before.

That's just the thing, to anyone that actually bothered to read the interview before commenting, he's not talking shit about Zeppelin (or Nirvana).

Here's my take on the situation. I am seventeen years old and I am absolutely in love with led zeppelin. I was always into music and music oriented, but Zeppelin totally changed my approach toward playing music and the way I listen to music as a whole. I live in the bronx on NYC, and while I can share this same enthusiasm and love of the music with you guys on the board, it's hard to do that, especially where I live. It also doesn't help with the modern music that very watered down and tailored for the sales of records rather than the love of music.

I always wished that I lived in the sixties and seventies, to experience that atmosphere of the culture and music. I mean, it was so much fun to go to a concert back then, and you had such a variety of top notch musical talent. No matter how you put it, it's just not the same. So for those who argue about new and progressive music as a sign of the changing times, I beg to differ. I would say it has degressed as a whole, and the killers for one are not helping.

It's not that people are stuck in the past. At the end of the day, everyone justwants some good quality music, and we ain't gettin that right now. So I disagree with his assesment on the minds of music fans and really fits as an archetype of the new wave of garbage rock and rap music that has been thrown at us for the last couple of years.

Ever generation had their Beatles or Zeppelin or their Rush or nirvana, we're still waiting for something that young kids like myself can hold our hat on, but it hasn't yet, and it sure as he'll ain't the Killers.

Here's my take on the situation. I am seventeen years old and I am absolutely in love with led zeppelin. I was always into music and music oriented, but Zeppelin totally changed my approach toward playing music and the way I listen to music as a whole. I live in the bronx on NYC, and while I can share this same enthusiasm and love of the music with you guys on the board, it's hard to do that, especially where I live. It also doesn't help with the modern music that very watered down and tailored for the sales of records rather than the love of music.

I always wished that I lived in the sixties and seventies, to experience that atmosphere of the culture and music. I mean, it was so much fun to go to a concert back then, and you had such a variety of top notch musical talent. No matter how you put it, it's just not the same. So for those who argue about new and progressive music as a sign of the changing times, I beg to differ. I would say it has degressed as a whole, and the killers for one are not helping.

It's not that people are stuck in the past. At the end of the day, everyone justwants some good quality music, and we ain't gettin that right now. So I disagree with his assesment on the minds of music fans and really fits as an archetype of the new wave of garbage rock and rap music that has been thrown at us for the last couple of years.

Ever generation had their Beatles or Zeppelin or their Rush or nirvana, we're still waiting for something that young kids like myself can hold our hat on, but it hasn't yet, and it sure as he'll ain't the Killers.

I hear what you are saying but there is tons of great music out there not mainstream and as Jahfin has stated, more ways to hear it now than there was years ago. Music changes and evolves and there may never be a supergroup on the level of a Beatles or Zep but that doesn't mean there aren't groups out there that are fantastic or influencing generations of music to come. Judging new music by the Killers is pretty limiting IMO.

I hear what you are saying but there is tons of great music out there not mainstream and as Jahfin has stated, more ways to hear it now than there was years ago. Music changes and evolves and there may never be a supergroup on the level of a Beatles or Zep but that doesn't mean there aren't groups out there that are fantastic or influencing generations of music to come. Judging new music by the Killers is pretty limiting IMO.

Yeah I know what you're saying, but honestly tell, do you think the quality of music has gotten better with the changing times, stayed the same, or have gotten worse? Me, I say that as a whole, it hasn't gotten better. What do you guys think.

Yeah I know what you're saying, but honestly tell, do you think the quality of music has gotten better with the changing times, stayed the same, or have gotten worse? Me, I say that as a whole, it hasn't gotten better. What do you guys think.

I don't look at it as a better/worse situation. It's evolved and different and there's tons of stuff (new) that I absolutely love.

Sounds to me as if the Killers may have Led Zeppelin up on that pedistool also. Otherwise they wouldn't be using Led Zeppelin as a measuring stick.

Yes but here's the major difference. "knock them off that pedastol" Instead of creating their own legacy and statement with fans, they say something stupid like this. Zeppelin wasn't worried about knocking the beatles off their pedastol, even though they were constantly compared to them. So I don't understand his whole statement.

Yes but here's the major difference. "knock them off that pedastol" Instead of creating their own legacy and statement with fans, they say something stupid like this. Zeppelin wasn't worried about knocking the beatles off their pedastol, even though they were constantly compared to them. So I don't understand his whole statement.

He was saying that to make a point that he wishes people would see that music didn't die when Zep broke up and to be open of new music.

No, they didn't really say that. It was more the journalist put it as the title for that article, it's a twist of what Flowers said IMO.

And about your question if the situation is better/worse, I guess there have also been fans of classic music looking down upon the 60s and 70s music as well.

For me personally, I won't say the nowadays music is better, as I still prefer classic rock and Led Zeppelin is my favorite. But as ninelives has said, there are enough talent and good music out there, I'm enjoying the exploration.

You'd have to be pretty envious of Led Zeppelin to be threatened by those who feel music died when Led Zeppelin broke up. It's a poor musician who blames his lack of progress on fans of a band that broke up over 28 years ago.

He was referring to audiences being more receptive to new music in general, he wasn't comparing the Killers to Led Zeppelin or Nirvana.

Anyway.....one of the mystique things about Zeppelin was that they denied shitty intervieuws like this one. Most of their reputation was built around the vibe of their live performances and the ability of sounding differently every other gig.

This appears to just be another of those fabricated controversies manufactured by journalists putting their own sensationalized spin on some hapless musician's remarks, then sitting back and watching all the hits on their site by outraged Zeppelin (or whoever) fans, who then spread the outrage and ensure more hits. It's getting beyond boring. Last week Duane Allman, this week the Killers . . .

He wants to be compared to Led Zeppelin and Nirvana. He wants their audience. He wants to fit into that nitche. He's a fan of both of bands. He wouldn't have brought up their names if he wasn't.

That isn't what Flowers is saying at all. He's talking about how unreceptive the American audience is to new music. It's not a slam against either Zeppelin or Nirvana.

Archived