The Killers Want To Knock Led Zep Off Their Pedistool

MightyZep

Joe Strummer of the Clash? While I may disagree with his opinion of Zep's album covers I don't disagree with his right to express an opinion which is all that he was doing. The Clash were legendary in their own right, though for entirely different reasons than Zep. Still, they made a huge impact on music that is still being felt today.

Teeny weeny point, but it was Paul Simonon, not Joe Strummer.

I just did read that Skunk Anansie are going to reform, I love them, Skin has more balls than most male singers.

Glad to hear this! I thought they were a great band. Managed to see them a few times over here.

Teeny weeny point, but it was Paul Simonon, not Joe Strummer.

Thanks, I just remember folks getting all bent out of shape when that quote surfaced and wasn't entirely sure which member of the Clash it was.

That's just the thing, to anyone that actually bothered to read the interview before commenting, he's not talking shit about Zeppelin (or Nirvana).

Hey, I was trying to be funny with that comment. Obviously it went right over your head.

Look, its obvious the guy is dissing the American audience, and not the bands they prefer

to liten to, OK? Bands like Fall Out Boy, Gym Class Hero's, Linkin Park, System of a Down,

Disturbed, 311, Marylin Manson, Korn, Green Day, Slipnot, Coldplay, My Chemical Romance, Coheed and Cambria, Amy Winehouse , the White Stripes (the list goes on and on),

have all done great in the American market, and they sound nothing like Zep or Nirvana.

So really, what the fuck is this guy talking about?

I didn't detect any humor in your post, that's why I didn't take it that way.

As for the artists you mentioned, a great deal of them are shit. I don't gather that Flowers is comparing the Killers to Zeppelin or Nirvana, he's merely noting how unaccepting American audiences are to anything different these days. Personally I gave up on commercial radio once most of the rock stations changed their programming to nothing but the dreaded "Classic Rock" (whatever that is) format. Thank goodness for satellite radio and the innernut which provide an almost endless amount of music to choose from. Still, you have folks (like some in this very thread) that are still longing for how things used to be (even though they didn't even grow up in the 60s and 70s) or want artists to sound just like Led Zeppelin. And for the life of my I'll never understand why some think music took a bad turn in the 1980s. Some of the very best music I've ever heard (including the 60s and 70s) came from that time period. It wasn't all what was popular on MTV or commercial radio. Things change, music evolves and so do people. Led Zeppelin embraced a very wide range and extremely diverse array of musical styles but for some reason quite a few of their fans just don't seem to be comprehend that, they seem downright narrow minded and unaccepting of change. Ironic when change is something Led Zeppelin was very much about.

I didn't detect any humor in your post, that's why I didn't take it that way.

As for the artists you mentioned, a great deal of them are shit.

Led Zeppelin embraced a very wide range and extremely diverse array of musical styles but for some reason quite a few of their fans just don't seem to be comprehend that, they seem downright narrow minded and unaccepting of change. Ironic when change is something Led Zeppelin was very much about.

Well, whether or not the bands I mentioned are shit or not has nothing to do with the point I was making. Once again, right over your head.

Suggestion: stand up when reading.

Hey, you narrow minded Zeppelin freaks, are you gonna' take this, he's calling you out.

Cause' I know he's not talking to me.

P.S. there is humor in this post, just a little, but it's there ... I think.

Well, whether or not the bands I mentioned are shit or not has nothing to do with the point I was making. Once again, right over your head.

It may not have anything to do with the point you were making but it has everything to do with the point Flowers is making (which continues to go right over your head).

It may not have anything to do with the point you were making but it has everything to do with the point Flowers is making (which continues to go right over your head).

You're right, it has nothing to do with the point I was making.

And yes, Flowers (who the fuck is this guy) point may be going over my head,

but then again, you can just blame it on me being a narrow minded Zep head,

I'm stupid and don't like the Killers.

This whole Killers thing isn't worth the argument.

Let everyone just listen to what he or she likes to, without calling one another narrow minded.

In the meantime,

time for some very alternative stuff....the band that can eat their instruments...

This whole Killers thing isn't worth the argument.

Let everyone just listen to what he or she likes to, without calling one another narrow minded.

In the meantime,

time for some very alternative stuff....the band that can eat their instruments...

Damn, that sounds better than the Killers, but not as good as the Village People.

Easy Jahfin, another one of my attempts at humor.

Damn, that sounds better than the Killers, but not as good as the Village People.

Easy Jahfin, another one of my attempts at humor.

Nothing beats the Village People, lol.

Since I am also narrow minded and only listening to music with britisg lyrics in it, here's a good one,

possibly the best text ever written, and one of the best singers in the world (If you don't believe it, try singing it yourself)

As soon as mister Flowers can cover this song he is truly worty my attention, and hey....anything goes, even the great Jeff Buckley was able to cover Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and Led Zeppelin in one concert.

Since I am also narrow minded and only listening to music with britisg lyrics in it, here's a good one,

possibly the best text ever written, and one of the best singers in the world (If you don't believe it, try singing it yourself)

As soon as mister Flowers can cover this song he is truly worty my attention, and hey....anything goes, even the great Jeff Buckley was able to cover Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and Led Zeppelin in one concert.

Haven't had the urge to drop acid for quite awhile, until now.

I also feel the sudden urge to play the kazoo, while on acid.

Haven't had the urge to drop acid for quite awhile, until now.

I also feel the sudden urge to play the kazoo, while on acid.

That's so retro, Snapper,

I guess I score some angel dust and listen to the Killers to be more in synch with the temporal fluctuations of modern day music (and if I can't appreciate them even in that state of mindI will stalk them at concerts and throw eggs on them)

(Eggs with "Jimmy is my hero, so I do what I wilt" written on them)

:D

Jeff did a great version of Nusrat and Zep too I might add :D

I could give a shit about the Killers but the guy does have a point and I see it on this site quite often. People stuck in the past, unwilling to accept anything new unless it sounds somewhat similar to Led Zeppelin.

For many people today (and probably that includes a lot of the people Flowers is ranting about) Led Zeppelin ARE 'new'. Many of the younger folks now into Zeppelin didn't grow up with them. I'm sure Flowers isn't referring to 50 year olds when he's complaining about them not giving the Killers a chance.

I don't see loving LZ as being stuck in the past. Music is timeless. It's not as if there is a sell by date on album sleeves. If somebody loves Beethoven more than anything else, I wouldn't call that being stuck in the past either.

If I love a band or a film that is 30 or 40 years old I don't see that as being stuck in the past. It's simply loving something that I feel is special. I couldn't give a damn what era it's from. The era becomes totally irrelevant. For example, I feel no comedy act has ever reached the consistent level of Laurel and Hardy. I'm not living in the past because of that. It's just something I feel to be a fact. I do love other comedians but there is nobody up there on their level and never will be, in my personal opinion. However, I'm certainly not stuck n the past (1930s) in this case.

Read the article. I think this is pretty laughable folks. :rolleyes:

http://www.nme.com/news/the-killers/44359

ahahah those dirty whores they dont know what there talking bout :slapface:

the killers are just complainers, they need passion and emotion and talent like zeppelin... but instead of working on that they try and blame on the audience, wut bitches

Not really much anto Zep in that article but I find it pretty funny that the Killers are setting themselves up as an "underground" act trying to break though a new sound. From what I'v heard(the first album and the odd track since) there a VERY average indie rock band who should be thankful theres still a market fir there sound in the UK dispite it being a decade past its sell by date.

Not really much anto Zep in that article but I find it pretty funny that the Killers are setting themselves up as an "underground" act trying to break though a new sound. From what I'v heard(the first album and the odd track since) there a VERY average indie rock band who should be thankful theres still a market fir there sound in the UK dispite it being a decade past its sell by date.

The best radio station in the United States, WZBC doesn't play Zeppelin or The Killers, ever. They do play experimental underground rock of all kinds. Best station ever. Listen Live

For many people today (and probably that includes a lot of the people Flowers is ranting about) Led Zeppelin ARE 'new'. Many of the younger folks now into Zeppelin didn't grow up with them. I'm sure Flowers isn't referring to 50 year olds when he's complaining about them not giving the Killers a chance.

I don't see loving LZ as being stuck in the past. Music is timeless. It's not as if there is a sell by date on album sleeves. If somebody loves Beethoven more than anything else, I wouldn't call that being stuck in the past either.

If I love a band or a film that is 30 or 40 years old I don't see that as being stuck in the past. It's simply loving something that I feel is special. I couldn't give a damn what era it's from. The era becomes totally irrelevant. For example, I feel no comedy act has ever reached the consistent level of Laurel and Hardy. I'm not living in the past because of that. It's just something I feel to be a fact. I do love other comedians but there is nobody up there on their level and never will be, in my personal opinion. However, I'm certainly not stuck n the past (1930s) in this case.

:goodpost:

And they would in turn tip their hats to Charlie Chaplin, who like many timeless artists had the right blend of talent, determination and timing, be it technological, cultural, etc. Some artists unfortunately do not have the winds of change blowing their way, and so remain obscure or underappreciated until well after they have passed on. Luckily and rightly, Led Zeppelin keeps touching the consciousness of succeeding generations. Always current because they're so great.

I took him to mean that he wishes people in the states were more open to new music, rather than worshiping bands from the past, and his wanting to knock them off their pedistool was more in the sense of being open to new bands having potential to be iconic in their own way.

:yesnod:

When I refer to folks on this board that are stuck in the past I'm not talking about ones that have an appreciation for older music, I'm referring to those that have no interest whatsoever in anything new or possibly groundbreaking. Take the drubbing Plant has received for the record he did with Krauss for instance. People referred to it as a "hillbilly" album. That right there showed they hadn't even listened to it because there's not even a hint of country or bluegrass music on it. Not to mention, where were they when John Paul Jones was showing up at places like MerleFest and Bonnaroo to jam with bluegrass bands? He's also produced records by Uncle Earl (an all girl bluegrass outfit) and Sara Watkins of Nickel Creek.

I see nothing at all the matter with loving older music, it's those that seem completely unreceptive to any new music that I don't understand. I'm 46 years old and love everything from old blues, big band, country, reggae, ska, bluegrass, zydeco and rock n' roll right up to music from the present day such as the Gaslight Anthem, Blitzen Trapper, Samatha Crain & the Midnight Shivers as well as many others. I'm not saying we should all like the same music, I just don't understand how so many so called Led Zeppelin fans can be seemingly so close minded when Led Zeppelin themselves embraced such a broad range of music.

When I refer to folks on this board that are stuck in the past I'm not talking about ones that have an appreciation for older music, I'm referring to those that have no interest whatsoever in anything new or possibly groundbreaking. Take the drubbing Plant has received for the record he did with Krauss for instance. People referred to it as a "hillbilly" album. That right there showed they hadn't even listened to it because there's not even a hint of country or bluegrass music on it. Not to mention, where were they when John Paul Jones was showing up at places like MerleFest and Bonnaroo to jam with bluegrass bands? He's also produced records by Uncle Earl (an all girl bluegrass outfit) and Sara Watkins of Nickel Creek.

I see nothing at all the matter with loving older music, it's those that seem completely unreceptive to any new music that I don't understand. I'm 46 years old and love everything from old blues, big band, country, reggae, ska, bluegrass, zydeco and rock n' roll right up to music from the present day such as the Gaslight Anthem, Blitzen Trapper, Samatha Crain & the Midnight Shivers as well as many others. I'm not saying we should all like the same music, I just don't understand how so many so called Led Zeppelin fans can be seemingly so close minded when Led Zeppelin themselves embraced such a broad range of music.

I think we all get your point for the tenth time, so stop posting.

I'm 46 years old and love everything from old blues, big band, country, reggae, ska, bluegrass, zydeco and rock n' roll right up to music from the present day such as the Gaslight Anthem, Blitzen Trapper, Samatha Crain & the Midnight Shivers as well as many others.

Congratulation's. What do you want, a medal? I have a feeling that when you were 18 you're choice of music wasn't so wonderfully diverse as it is now.

Not everybody here is 46 yrs. old. Give it a break, man.

Archived