Spoiled Under 30 Crowd

Jahfin

Yes, this is one of those FWD things but for the most part it's pretty funny (and true).

THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!

If you are 30 or older you will think this is hilarious!!!!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning uphill... barefoot... BOTH ways...yadda, yadda, yadda.

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.

You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a Utopia!

And I hate to say it but you kids today don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have the internet. If we wanted to know something, We had to go to the library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter, with a pen!

Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our tail! Nowhere was safe!

There were no MP3's or Napsters! You wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talk over the beginning and mess it all up!

There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car. We'd play our favorite tape and eject it when finished and the tape would come undone.cause that's how we rolled, dig?

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen forever!

And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get up and walk over to the TV to change the channel! There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rats!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove ... imagine that!

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980!

Regards,

The over 30 Crowd

Yes, this is one of those FWD things but for the most part it's pretty funny (and true).

Maybe it's me, but i have a completely different take on this. :)

I loved my teenage years, i would never say i had it hard! I am so glad i didn't grow up in the age of the internet. I felt alive as a teen! I had to ride my bike or walk the 3 miles to get to my best friend's house (we would usually meet in the middle)... or take the bus... until i was 16 and started driving... instead of sitting on the computer sending emails/im's and chatrooms, i hung out with friends. I think the youth of today is missing out. I would hang out with my neighborhood "gang" either partying at someone's house, behind the shopping center, or in the field. Lots of keg parties, loud music, and boys! and concerts!

My friends and i loved to go to the record stores (Sam Goody was big back then) and the used record store with cheap prices and hard to find items, The Record Cellar, to pick out albums/eight tracks/cassettes. I still buy CD's and never download music. I'm holding on to my childhood!

I had my own phone line so i got my calls! I didn't mind going to the library to do my book reports. I never got into playing video games, anyway!

I don't use the microwave that much i couldn't live without it. I would not be so addicted to tv (and would be spending more time reading!) if it wasn't for DVR! Okay, well DVR is one invention i do appreciate.

Man i miss 1980!

While I admit this is hilarious, I'm just gonna throw out there that I aint at all and that im sure 1980s kid wouldnt survive 5 minutes in todays world too ;)

On that subject I recall watching a reality show (I actually enjoyed) on PBS a few years back called Frontier House. Several families had to get by using only means that would have been available to them in the 1880s. After it was over the subject came up of turning the tables. If you could place a family from the 1800s into the present day, how easily would they adapt to cellphones, fax machines, the internet and all of the other technological gadgets we have at our fingertips these days? Would it be equally (or even more) difficult as it was for those families to adapt to an approximation of what it was like to survive in the 1880s? In case you're interested you can read more about Frontier House here.

And, I've posted this before but it's worth posting again especially since we're on the subject of how much technology has changed, particularly within the last 20 years or so:

Louis CK on Late Night with Conan O'Brien "Everything's Amazing, Nobody's Happy"

Maybe it's me, but i have a completely different take on this. :)

I loved my teenage years, i would never say i had it hard!

I don't think it's really saying we had it "hard" back then, it's just juxtaposing how much things have changed. 20 years from now what we take for granted now will also radically change.

My friends and i loved to go to the record stores (Sam Goody was big back then) and the used record store with cheap prices and hard to find items, The Record Cellar, to pick out albums/eight tracks/cassettes. I still buy CD's and never download music. I'm holding on to my childhood!

I don't download either but it's not really an effort to hold onto my childhood. I just don't feel like investing the time in ripping my entire CD collection to iTunes. I also don't believe in the proliferation of the MP3 as the predominate audio format (but that's another thread entirely). I don't mind folks downloading so it's really some kind of moral standpoint, it's just not something I'm into but with the demise of the CD on the horizon I'm sure I'll have to adapt sooner or later. I even have an iPod Shuffle but I've never used it.

I didn't mind going to the library to do my book reports. I never got into playing video games, anyway!

I still enjoy going to the library too. I like it for the same reason I enjoy visiting bookstores, I can read for hours and hours and never get bored. I never really got into video games either. I played them and enjoyed them (as far back as the advent of Pong) but it's not something I continued to pursue. Xbox is one of the biggest sellers these days but I don't own one, nor do I have a desire to.

:lol:

I used to tape songs on the radio ALL THE TIME! that's how I got my first "copy" of "Blister in the Sun" by the Violent Femmes. LOVED that song, BTW. ;)

We had caller ID and wall-waiting, but that was because my mom was a phone junkie. The caller ID came out when I was in high school, if I remember correctly. Maybe junior high.

I had an Atari. My dad ruined it. <_<

I also never had a cell phone until I was an adult and was able to get one with my own credit. It kills me the way kids have cell phones now--my 15-year old sister has had one for YEARS now, and my mom's reasoning? "It's easier. She can call when she leaves someone's house." (Puh-leeze. I had to call using someone's home phone when I was a kid--and if I didn't tell my mom where I was? I was toast. I mean freakin' burnt toast. My sister on the other hand....)

...and yes I am under 30...by about a year and a half. ;)

I had this discussion on another board recently but I don't really see the harm in email. I never even wrote all that many letters before but I stay in closer contact with friends these days via email. Still, I probably opt to call over the phone just as much as I always have. The argument was, it takes more time and thought to write a letter since you have to pick out the paper, the envelope and actually handwrite the letter itself. All that is true but the same amount of thought (at least for me) goes into composing the email itself, it's just delivered via the innernut as opposed to the postal system.

Does the rise in the cost of postage stamps really have anything to do with the internet? They have always gone up, even before the internet.

Yes, less mail/letters going through the postal system. I was told that this was one of the reasons for the increase when I asked. BTW...kids under 30 are not spoiled.

Yes, less mail/letters going through the postal system. I was told that this was one of the reasons for the increase when I asked.

It may well be the case, I just don't buy into that. The price of stamps would go up with or without the internet, just like everything else.

BTW...kids under 30 are not spoiled.

As I pointed out, what I posted was merely a forwarded email, it wasn't my own personal observation on those under 30.

It's really true that the amount of technology in our lifetimes (I'm in my early 40s; right on the line between Boomer and Gen Xer) is astounding. I'm a natural multitasker, but the amount of information I process in a day is mind blowing compared to when I was a teenager or college student. It's no wonder my car keys end up in the refrigerator occasionally, or I forget to send the kids' permission slips to school :blink: (or last night, I put the butter away in the freezer after dinner...)

We'll being saying the same thing to our kids in ten years time, and they'll do it to their kids after that. It's just a fact of life that lifestyle has changed.

I'm 18 and used to borrow my dad's cassette walkman as a kid. We didn't get broadband until I was at least 14. I wrote a letter to my friend yesterday. My first school used to have a dot matrix printer and printed only black and white. That doesn't mean it's hard.

Anyway, without e-mail, you wouldn't have had to do things like overnight assignments. Basically, the teacher e-mails you the essay topic at 5:00pm on Friday night and you e-mail back your response at the end of the weekend. It sucks!

Your right GibsonGirl. Our folks used to say the same thing about us. I was talking with an old buddy last weekend who is the manager of a warehouse and he was saying that young people expect too much money. I happened to point out that things had changed quite a bit since we were teenagers and the ratio in the cost of living wasn't even close to what it was then. He agreed but then went on to point out that...he was the manager and it was his job to bitch....I took that opportunity to agree that he was..... bitching :lol:

I think teenagers now are just plain spoiled and lazy and much of it is due to cell phones and the internet. The work ethic in America is out the window. Sure it would have been nice to have playstation and the internet, but I think I was better off in the long run going out and playing sports every day after school instead of sitting in front of a computer on a cell phone all night. Ok. There is my take. Now come and get me. :o

You miserable old sod ! :lol:

I saw this segment broadcast on 60 Minutes in 2007, if so inclined you can watch it via the link below:

The "Millennials" Are Coming

Morley Safer On The New Generation Of American Workers

(CBS) This story was originally broadcast on Nov. 11, 2007. It was updated on May 23, 2008.

It's graduation time and once again we say "Stand back all bosses!" A new breed of American worker is about to attack everything you hold sacred: from giving orders, to your starched white shirt and tie. They are called, among other things, "millennials." There are about 80 million of them, born between 1980 and 1995, and they're rapidly taking over from the baby boomers who are now pushing 60.

They were raised by doting parents who told them they are special, played in little leagues with no winners or losers, or all winners. They are laden with trophies just for participating and they think your business-as-usual ethic is for the birds. And if you persist in the belief you can, take your job and shove it.

You can read the rest of the article and see the actual 60 Minutes segment here

I saw this segment broadcast on 60 Minutes in 2007, if so inclined you can watch it via the link below:

The "Millennials" Are Coming

Morley Safer On The New Generation Of American Workers

(CBS) This story was originally broadcast on Nov. 11, 2007. It was updated on May 23, 2008.

It's graduation time and once again we say "Stand back all bosses!" A new breed of American worker is about to attack everything you hold sacred: from giving orders, to your starched white shirt and tie. They are called, among other things, "millennials." There are about 80 million of them, born between 1980 and 1995, and they're rapidly taking over from the baby boomers who are now pushing 60.

They were raised by doting parents who told them they are special, played in little leagues with no winners or losers, or all winners. They are laden with trophies just for participating and they think your business-as-usual ethic is for the birds. And if you persist in the belief you can, take your job and shove it.

You can read the rest of the article and see the actual 60 Minutes segment here

I don't know how it's all going to turn out. But I do know that the average young American's sense of entitlement is pretty disturbing. It's nice to have high standards for yourself, I get that. But they expect everything done for them and they don't expect to earn anything. A bunch of cry babies pretty much.

The real problem that will come from this is if we actually experience some really harsh times. Don't know how they will deal with it.

On that subject I recall watching a reality show (I actually enjoyed) on PBS a few years back called Frontier House. Several families had to get by using only means that would have been available to them in the 1880s. After it was over the subject came up of turning the tables. If you could place a family from the 1800s into the present day, how easily would they adapt to cellphones, fax machines, the internet and all of the other technological gadgets we have at our fingertips these days? Would it be equally (or even more) difficult as it was for those families to adapt to an approximation of what it was like to survive in the 1880s? In case you're interested you can read more about Frontier House here.

i was hooked on "frontier house" and would have loved to participate in that little experiment...remember what whiners they were in the beginning?... but by the end they all were sad to leave...especially the teenage girls, they enjoyed all the time spent together away from all of their gadgets...

i was hooked on "frontier house" and would have loved to participate in that little experiment...remember what whiners they were in the beginning?... but by the end they all were sad to leave...especially the teenage girls, they enjoyed all the time spent together away from all of their gadgets...

If I'm not mistaken that was the family from Malibu who's kids also went into someone's house to watch MTV during one of their trips into town for supplies. The Dad also stole a mattress out of a dumpster when they were actually supposed to build their own beds. Perhaps the most revealing aspect of that series was the end where all the judges were brought in to see how the families fared and it was revealed that none of them would have survived since they hadn't cut enough firewood to make it through the harsh Montana winter. That's really quite something, especially considering at least one of the guys cut firewood everyday from sun up to sundown.

This is something I've also posted before but it's worth mentioning again. I had never heard of children that are afraid of the outdoors until watching an episode of Exploring North Carolina on PBS last year called Logos & Leaves:

Exploring North Carolina - "Logos & Leaves"

What makes a child explore, grow and blossom? When and where do they learn to take chances? Have they learned to fear the wrong things? Have we taught them to feel safer in gated communities, and in lighted shopping malls?

Today, children can play games with virtual friends, in virtual forests, on a computer. Conversations take place on a cell phone, and friends are seen in Facebook, and not in a tree house. Children know more corporate logos than leaves, more product jingles than bird sounds, and catch more computer viruses than fish.

Exploring North Carolina examines American children's need for more time in wild, wide open spaces and with educators, scientists, and children as our guide, the episode demonstrates why children may be better off knowing more leaves than logos.

If I'm not mistaken that was the family from Malibu who's kids also went into someone's house to watch MTV during one of their trips into town for supplies. The Dad also stole a mattress out of a dumpster when they were actually supposed to build their own beds. Perhaps the most revealing aspect of that series was the end where all the judges were brought in to see how the families fared and it was revealed that none of them would have survived since they hadn't cut enough firewood to make it through the harsh Montana winter. That's really quite something, especially considering at least one of the guys cut firewood everyday from sun up to sundown.

i think you are right...i was surprised when they let the malibu guy bring in his own still, which he spent all his time making liquor instead of trying to survive the winter...bothered me the way he was always looking for an easy way out...remember he claimed they were starving him to death because he lost all his body fat and the doctor told him that was perfectly normal, ha!

i think the black guy (who had to build his own cabin) cut wood every day was the only one who they said might have survived...i was most impressed by him because he really gave it his all and worked his butt off the entire time!

i think you are right...i was surprised when they let the malibu guy bring in his own still, which he spent all his time making liquor instead of trying to survive the winter...bothered me the way he was always looking for an easy way out...remember he claimed they were starving him to death because he lost all his body fat and the doctor told him that was perfectly normal, ha!

i think the black guy (who had to build his own cabin) cut wood every day was the only one who they said might have survived...i was most impressed by him because he really gave it his all and worked his butt off the entire time!

I really enjoyed this show, also.

If I remember correctly, wasn't the Malibu wife a good cook and made alot of interesting dishes with what she had to work with? And didn't she make a fancy looking wedding cake for the couple that got married? I was impressed with her culinary skills, which I sorely lack.

This original post was funny...and kind of amazing too, in the sense that you don't really stop to think about how much has changed in the past 20+ years.

But that being said, I am glad I grew up in the dark ages....Feel in many ways like those of us that did are better off for it in many ways......

Sharon

Archived