KISS

I was a huge fan when I was a kid. They started to lose me around the time of the solo albums and lost me completely by the time Dynasty was released. They've always been one of the most crass bands commercially but Gene Simmons having the two new members parade around in the makeup originally made famous by Peter Criss and Ace Frehley is a fucking joke. Same for his plans for Kiss to continue with all new members once he and Stanley retire.

Edited by Jahfin

I was a huge fan when I was a kid. They started to lose me around the time of the solo albums and lost me completely by the time Dynasty was released. They've always been one of the most crass bands commercially but Gene Simmons having the two new members parade around in the makeup originally made famous by Peter Criss and Ace Frehley is a fucking joke. Same for his plans for Kiss to continue with all new members once he and Stanley retire.

I'm remember reading that and wanted to yak. Gene has no scruples what so ever. Ace was my favorite so it's hard to see his former guitar tech dressed up like him.

Same here

Hmmm, Kiss....brings back memories

They were the first band I ever saw live, still have lots of their albums and around 10/20 bootlegs. Nowadays it depends on my moodswing if I can listen to them or not. They are masters in making catchy rock songs, and Paul Stanley still has a great voice for a man of his age.

One of the things I learned from them is showmanship and the art of posing on stage, people come to concerts to be entertained, ya know.

The new line up seems indeed a way to make a quick buck on their past, but I also liked Ace most so it ain't the same anymore. They should have retired after Psycho Circus, go out with a bang....(even if that album was recorded by a lot of studio musicians and sometimes all members)

They were also one of my first live shows (Rock n' Roll Over tour '78) and it still stands as one of the best concerts I've ever attended. They were the perfect band for when I was a teenager. These days, not so much. I received the first volume of the Kissology series on DVD as a gift a few years ago and really enjoyed watching some of the TV clips I hadn't seen in years. They're one of the few artists I grew up listening to that I don't have on CD (still have plenty of vinyl though). I doubt I ever buy any of their stuff on CD, if I do, it will be the first album of theirs I ever purchased, Alive!.

Alive II was my first album. As a kid, it was so cool to have the tattoos and program that came with that album (or the fold up gun that came with Love Gun). I remember waiting with anxiety for weeks to see Kiss Meets The Phantom on tv. What a piece of garbage that was. Ace will always be one of my favorite guitarists. I love his riffs and the emotion of his solos. It really sucks that they couldn't get along. Ace kinda deserved what he got due to his drug use. I'll probably go see them on this upcoming tour even though it's only half of them.

Kiss' album packaging was always something to look forward to. Gene Simmons may have given Criss and Frehley hell for their problems and perhaps they've even deserved some of it but he's one of the most misogynistic performers I'm aware of in rock n' roll (right next to Ted Nugent). And, while one of his biggest virtues is his knack for merchandising/marketing all things Kiss (including himself), it's also one of his biggest downfalls. I think they've now had more "farewell" tours than the Who and the Eagles combined.

Too bad Adam can't spit blood and breathe fire.

Loved KISS since '77...32 years...WOW. Got to admit, although I love the songs, the show and Stanley as a singer / songwriter, I am just totally over the merchandise being pumped out over the last 10 years and GS merchandising of 'everything'. The merchandise in the '70's was tacky, but unique for a rock band, but some of the stuff now is just plain over the top. Still, we keep buying it!!

Fav songs:

Love Gun

I was made for lovin' you

Detroit Rock City

Strutter

Mr.Speed

Newer ones that are outstanding...We are one and I just wanna (very clever, sexist lyrics!!)

• 2 weeks later...

And a crime. Here's Tommy Thayer's new signature amp head. Note Ace Makeup graphic on the right above the control panel. I mean WTF???

Duotone_TThayer_left.jpg

I was a huge fan when I was a kid, and I still love the old records. I love anything from Cold Gin to Shandi, they were just as great at writing pop gems as real rock'n'roll tunes. I would never go watch them nowadays though, especially since both Ace and Peter is gone. I went to see them in '96, their first reunioun tour, which is all I want to keep in my memory.

I like Kiss. I like his older albums the most. I don't like them now as much as I liked them before. Today the became too commercial with all that merchandise and crazy products, but it's OK. My favorite albums are: Destroyer, Kiss, Rock And Roll Over, Love Gun and Alive!. My favorite songs are: "Detroit Rock City", "Black Diamond", "Rock And Roll All Nite", "Love Gun", "I Stole Your Love", "Shock Me", "God Of Thunder", "I Was Made For Lovin' You" and others. In my opinion, Ace Frehley is great guitar player. One of the best guitar players I've heard. His style is similar to Jimmy Page's style.

This would have been one of the best Kiss songs if it been put on a proper Kiss record.

Paul's was my favorite of the solo albums. My fave song was the last one on side one. At the time I was 14, I found it very Zeppelinesque, at least toward the end around 4:15, no doubt due to Carmine Appice's big drums. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlmwrkW-ILo

Okay, now not so much! :lol: