Best female rock vocalist

Patti Smith

I always wondered if Robert Plant didn't get some of his style from Janis Joplin. Not that I was ever keen on her, but the way she does that song in Monterey Pop, reminds me of Plant.

When Zeppelin was in America during the early days Janis took care of Robert.

You probably couldn't lump her with rock singers, but I love Joni Mitchell's voice. The purity in it is so beautiful, as is the bluesy quality she's gained in later years.

Before her voice gained 'character' (that's one way of putting it), I liked Marianne Faithfull. I love her version of Sister Morphine. After reading her autobiography and what she went though, that song is all the more poignant.

You probably couldn't lump her with rock singers, but I love Joni Mitchell's voice. The purity in it is so beautiful, as is the bluesy quality she's gained in later years.

Before her voice gained 'character' (that's one way of putting it), I liked Marianne Faithfull. I love her version of Sister Morphine. After reading her autobiography and what she went though, that song is all the more poignant.

Joni is one of my favorite musicians. Her voice is gorgeous and she has a really interesting guitar style too. I would have loved to have seen her in concert. I wish she would tour again!

Joni is one of my favorite musicians. Her voice is gorgeous and she has a really interesting guitar style too. I would have loved to have seen her in concert. I wish she would tour again!

I've only just started to appreciate her. I like some of the stuff off Blue and For The Roses, but my favourite album has to be Court and Spark - I love Car on a Hill.

There's wonderful footage of her performing California on the BBC in the early '70's, I'm amazed at how she can play that instrument (completely ignorant of what it is :bagoverhead:) and sing so perfectly.

I've only just started to appreciate her. I like some of the stuff off Blue and For The Roses, but my favourite album has to be Court and Spark - I love Car on a Hill.

There's wonderful footage of her performing California on the BBC in the early '70's, I'm amazed at how she can play that instrument (completely ignorant of what it is :bagoverhead:) and sing so perfectly.

Court and Spark is fantastic. I love the title song and Down to You especially. I think Clouds is also a great album.

Hi All,

As this is about Female Rock Vocalists i'm supprised nobody has mentioned Maggie Bell before now, you know? the Scottish Lass who was on Led Zeppelin's record label SwanSong, anyone remember her, only the UK's version of Janis.

She also sang the theme for "Taggart" with her song "No Mean City", bit of an understatement as the song and her birthplace is Glasgow. She was also o member of the "Stone the Crows" group.

The Best Raw and Gutsiest Female Rock-Blues singer this side of the pond, in my honest opinion.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7i1kg_ma...-going-do_music

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggie_Bell

Regards, Danny

4 Non Blondes (Linda Perry)

by a wide margin.

How's it going "danelectro59?" Everyone has come up with some great choices for female vocalists that has passed through Rock n' Roll history as the Queen Of Rock n' Roll! My choices have and always will be the same as follows:

1.) Janis Joplin

2.) Grace Slick

3.) Cher

4.) Stevie Nicks

5.) Ann Wilson

6.) Carole King

7.) Carly Simon

8.) Pat Benatar

9.) Karen Carpenter

10.) Lita Ford

11.) Joan Jett

12.) Mama Cass Elliott

I'm sure that there are many more great female vocalists that haven't been brought up yet. ROCK ON!

That is a dulcimer.

Hi! Loved a lot of the ones everyone's mentioned but the one that's constantly on my mind is Annie Haslam of the Renaissance. Especially in the song "Carpet of the Sun". She has a clear, ringing voice and just nails that higher register effortlessly. :)