Best female rock vocalist

Ann Wilson, Janis Joplin and TINA TURNER for the rock genre.

Others:

Joni Mitchell (early folk style... not a fan of her current "I smoked-way-too-damn-much" voice and it's sad cause her voice was so pure and lovely)

Kate Bush, Tori Amos, Annie Lennox, Alison Krauss (her duet album with a "certain" golden-maned fella really made me notice her ;) )

As for some current choices Amy Winehouse (when she isn't completely plastered and/or high. When she's mildly plastered and/or high she does ok)

There's also a great British singer, Thea Gilmore and her voice is great.

Let's see...

1. Grace Slick

2. Janis Joplin

3. Sandy Denny

4. Neko Case

5. Fiona Apple

6. Karen O from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs

7. Gwen Stefani (back when she rocked)

8. Agent M from Tsunami Bomb

9. Patricia Day from the HorrorPops

Oh! Does Emmylou Harris count? She'd be like #4, in that case. Also, someday I'm going to listen to Cradle of Filth, Nightwish, and Lacuna Coil. I know those bands have female singers, but I've never actually heard them, and I love the idea of chicks in metal bands. In fact, I'd like to be a chick in a metal band, myself. I think I'd be better off playing guitar than singing, though...

Edited by Footsteps of Dawn

When Zeppelin was in America during the early days Janis took care of Robert.

I thought she got him shit-faced drunk before one of his concerts when he complained of a sore throat and she gave him a huge vodka/OJ and told him it would help his throat. Sorry for the run-on sentence.

In "rock" I agree, Janis is Queen.

My favorite female singer currently is actually Aimee Mann. Maybe not LOUD rock, but great voice, great songwriter. And whoever mentioned Bonnie Raitt - yes - TONS of soul

Aimee Mann does have a great voice and she's a good songwriter too. I like her solo work. Saw her with Til Tuesday many moons ago.

Aimee Mann does have a great voice and she's a good songwriter too. I like her solo work. Saw her with Til Tuesday many moons ago.

Oh yes indeed, Ninelives....how could I forget to mention her.

"Lost in space" is such a beautiful record, I discovered her on Jools Holland where she sang Humpty Dumpty and bought the whole record the next day.

Oh yes indeed, Ninelives....how could I forget to mention her.

"Lost in space" is such a beautiful record, I discovered her on Jools Holland where she sang Humpty Dumpty and bought the whole record the next day.

Yes it is. I keep meaning to catch her in concert but somehow it never works out. She seems to tour from time to time. I liked Til Tuesday as well. They were fun to see live.

Didn't know if anybody would know her (I guess not after 4 pages) but IMHO this is the definitive rock chick:

Suze DeMarchi

- try this tune you probably don't know. Watch how she builds it.

Also happens to be Nuno Bettencourt's wife.

Saw her do some shows last month. She's still dead sexy 15 years on and just gets better with age - and the band in the early days used to do a magnificent cover of Ramble On.

Sass Jordan

Listen to her "Rats" album, and you'll see what I mean B)

I didn't realize it until recently but local (NC) artist Parthenon Huxley (aka "P. Hux" and "Rick Rock") worked with Sass Jordan on her first record (Racine). He also has tons of other of credentials to his name including fronting The Orchestra which includes former members of the Electric Light Orchestra.

When I first heard of Sass, she was described to me as "what the Black Crowes would sound like if they were fronted by a chick" which is pretty much the case for the first clip below. The second one comes from the album mentioned above, Rats.

"High Road Easy"

Edited by Jahfin

• 2 weeks later...