Best female rock vocalist

Fiona Apple, Tori Amos (check out the live version of Professional Widow), and one of the most underrated vocalists, Melanie. Check out Lay It Down, it's definitely a 60's love child tune but damn her vocals will melt your face off (in a good way). 

Fun Fact: Zeppelin performed a gig or two with Melanie in 69' at festival gigs.

18 hours ago, IpMan said:

Fiona Apple, Tori Amos (check out the live version of Professional Widow), and one of the most underrated vocalists, Melanie. Check out Lay It Down, it's definitely a 60's love child tune but damn her vocals will melt your face off (in a good way). 

Fun Fact: Zeppelin performed a gig or two with Melanie in 69' at festival gigs.

That is the woman who sings the tune to "The Affair". Spookily weird it is too.

Always loved Armand's mix of PW:

16 minutes ago, BledZabbath said:

My favorite, she is still beautiful.

I agree, and what I always loved about her is that despite having a "working man's voice" she knew the character and uniqueness of it. I'm a really really big fan in fact - her entire catalogue is filled with all sorts of hidden gems and so on

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Earlier I listed Annie Haslam of Renaissance.  Lately I have been listening to alot of Sandy Denny with Fairport Convention and I would say she should be in the discussion as well.  So many amazing performances, in particular "Who Knows Where the Time Goes", but really all of the first album, Unhalfbricking, and Lief and Liege.   And Battle of Evermore. 

I do have to agree that Ann Wilson is excellent, and I guess if we are focusing on "rock" I would have to agree that she is at the top of that list.  I just do not like any of their material after 1978.  Those early Heart albums are a tour de force.

Annie Haslam cannot really be considered "rock", but what a voice.   

• 8 months later...
16 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

The greatest female rock singer has to have it all...voice, style, attitude AND looks. Here's my #1 & #2 on the list.

#1 Susanna Hoffs

#2 Lee Aaron

+1 for Susanna. Beauty, brains, talent, she's got it all. And she still looks amazing today! :)

As for my favorite female rock singers (besides Susanna):

Ann Wilson
Janis Joplin

Debbie Harry

Grace Slick

Amy Winehouse

Tina Turner

Cass Elliot

Aretha Franklin

Okay, some of those may be a bit of stretch to call "rock", but whatever.:D

• 1 year later...
On 3/31/2016 at 9:46 AM, The Rover 75 said:

Well said, to me it's easily Ann Wilson. We got a chance to see Heart a few years back, they were just amazing. Her voice on the Zep tracks they did in the encore, as well as The Who's "Love Reign O'er Me" was just magical.

On 3/30/2016 at 6:28 PM, Marmalade_Skies said:

I never said they were better than Ann Wilson.  I don't think there's a single female [rock] singer who could compete with her.

Also, I need to get Nancy Wilson to marry me.  ❤️

On 3/30/2016 at 6:23 PM, reswati said:

None in the first row's singers could even come close to Ann Wilson (all of these over-pompous metal chicks just miss the ingredient called "soul")

She's not a Rock singer..... but, if Natalie Grant, with her set of pipes, ever chose to sing STH, I think that she would knock it out of the park.

Edited by The Rover