Great spots to go camping

ally

That would be a drag. I was hoping to use some of them next year but have decided to hit Vancouver Island instead. Hope to stay there for about a month if I can swing it

Last word was California State Park closure after Labor Day (might be an empty threat whereby Arine saves the day at the last minute for political points by slashing something else from the poor and defenseless) :unsure:

IMG_0359-1.jpg

This is up in the central Oregon cascades. WAY up. :D

Great thread! I may spend a lot of time here...heh heh

Good to see you RA. I figured you'd come around to this thread sooner or later. Interesting to see the continent from different perspectives

Karuna, I agree . There have been threats here in the past about closing down provincial parks. Usually that turns out to be a way of privatizing certain services within the parks themselves. I'm cool with whatever happens as long as we can use them and they are being looked after properly .

That includes us campers

30 years ago this summer, this was my view for six weeks:

187581005_b396904b54_b.jpg

Bridge over the Rio Grande Gorge, Taos, NM

rgb-riogrande5.jpg

North view of the Rio Grande Gorge

Upon our arrival at the closed down State Park that was our home for the next six weeks back in June of '79 we noticed the public restrooms were closed. Since we were residents there tourists and other passersby would often ask us why they were closed. "Due to hippie season", of course.

rgb-riogrande5.jpg

Upon our arrival at the closed down State Park that was our home for the next six weeks back in June of '79 we noticed the public restrooms were closed. Since we were residents there tourists and other passersby would often ask us why they were closed. "Due to hippie season", of course.

Hippie season...LOL. There is some truth to that though. I remember it being the same up here on the Island before it became a National Park. Years later, I met the daughter of the park ranger who organized the clean up of the area. First thing he did was throw out the freaks who had been living on the beach. It took 2 yrs to get the place back to it's natural self.

Great pics BTW. Looks beautiful

If your thinking of camping in California better do it before Arnie closes all the state parks!!!!! :angry:

Yep. I remember saying something in here about Anza-Borrego...well, forget it. It's done. And so is Cuyamaca Rancho State Park, which I didn't mention, but both of those are REALLY big areas of land. The only thing staying open in Borrego is Ocotillo Wells, an overrun off-roading site. What is Borrego Springs supposed to do? It's smack-dab in the middle of the park, and I guess it has some country clubs and stuff, but what's going to be the big draw for people to go out there now? This is such a stupid plan.

And they're closing Point Lobos and Big Sur? You've got to be fucking kidding me. Those are like two of the most beautiful places in all of California. That's just wrong.

• 7 years later...

Going camping in the Cleveland National Forest this weekend. Very close to home. The hubby and I usually camp in our vintage trailer but this time we will be hammock camping. A little more primitive. It looks like rain is predicted for the weekend so it should be interesting.

• 4 months later...
On 5/22/2009 at 6:40 AM, karuna said:

Lassen Volcanic Wilderness (awesome volcanic features as well as Mt. Lassen) and the Trinity Alps which has many lakes and beautiful vistas. Once met a guy hiking there who only carried a day pack so I asked him what was up with that (I had 60lbs on my back). He said,"I got a sleeping bag, a fishing rod, some cooking oil, and several Jiffy Pop Popcorns...I catch a fish, make the popcorn, fry the fish in the popcorn pan, then wad up the popcorn pan when I'm done, and toss it in my pack." Pretty clever I thought.

We camped at Lassen back in 1976. I haven't been back since, but used to love going over the Sierras into the high desert around Bridgeport and Bodie. Took this in Lassen. The Cinder Cone. I hiked to the top too.

LASSEN CINDER CONE_20170313_0001 (3).jpg

On 6/6/2009 at 9:33 AM, Jahfin said:

rgb-riogrande5.jpg

Awesome.

Archived