NFL...09 season

slagfarmer

Well the 2008 season has come and gone and the 09 season will soon start! Lets go Buffalo :D:D:D . I saw this article in the Toronto sun today> it seems T.O. cant get a break anywhere ;) .

Buffalo residents want no part of Owens' drama

Here's a potential first to add to the "Not In My Backyard" homeowners list of complaints: Terrell Owens.

The Bills' high-profile receiver's search for a place to live in the Buffalo area has hit a snag after Owens said he was denied a chance to rent a home in Orchard Park because of the potential "drama" he might bring to the neighbourhood.

Owens first announced what happened late Tuesday night by posting a message on his Twitter.com site. The message read that he's "tripping about residents" who won't rent a home to him because they "(don't) want any drama (in) their neighbourhood!! LOL!!! Wow!!"

Owens then went into further detail about his search -- describing the snub as no big deal -- following a voluntary mini-camp practice yesterday.

"They didn't want me to rent this spot because of the extra or added attention that I may bring," said Owens, who was informed of the news after a real estate agent and his bodyguard viewed the property. Referring to his real estate agent, Owens added: "In her words, she said: 'Drama.' I thought it was funny."

Perhaps, Owens added, the owners aren't Bills or T.O. fans.

The place in question is a six-bedroom home at 1 Deer Run in Orchard Park that lists for $489,397 US. It's also available for rent, and close to Ralph Wilson Stadium.

Real estate agent Bob Wozniak disputed Owens' complaint.

"I don't know how it all got started," said Wozniak, who added that his clients are more than willing to have Owens tour the house.

"He's got the key to the city," Wozniak said, referring to Owens receiving the key to Buffalo last month. "I'd like to give him a key to buy a house."

Well TO certainly won't get a break from either Wolfman or myself - he has worned out his welcome with the teams he has f*cked from the inside of the locker room out!

GO COWBOYS!!

It Is certainly going to be a interesting season in Buffalo! Cant wait for the 09 season to start. As much as I love Hockey the playoffs are to long. It just doesn't seem right to watch hockey in shorts and a t-shirt :D .

Early Season Predictions: courtesy of zosodude13

*= Playoffs

AFC East:

*Patriots: 11-5 (Brady won't be back to form this year, but the rest of the team will take them to the top of the division)

*Bills: 9-7 (Have the potential to have an extremely explosive offense, and an extremely explosive locker room)

Jets: 8-8 (The talent of the defense will offset the rookie inconsistencies of Sanchez)

Dolphins: 6-10 (The wildcat will be ineffective after the league gets a year to study it and its the only offense they have)

AFC North:

*Steelers: 13-3 (Best team in the league... this year could be the beginning of a dynasty)

*Ravens 11-5 (The defense has one last year of prime before they are too old. I see Flacco growing by leaps and bounds this year)

Bengals: 5-11 (I feel sorry for Carson Palmer, and Marvin Lewis should have lost his job last season and probably will after this one)

Browns: 4-10 (The offense is decent, but the defense is pathetic. I'll enjoy watching Mangini destroying this team and likely not build them back up)

AFC South:

*Colts: 12-4 (Could be the last hurrah for Manning, need to start breaking in younger talent)

Texans: 9-7 (Breakthrough year for these guys. One of the few teams that is decent everywhere)

Titans: 7-9 (Collins is too old, VY can't play pocket passer, defense lost its best player= mediocrity)

Jaguars: 7-9 (This is an inflated record due to an easy schedule. They are talented, but I doubt they play to their potential. The Vikings of the AFC)

AFC West:

*Chargers: 11-5 (The Denver Nuggets of the NFL... a lot of talents, but an overall lack to maturity)

Denver Broncos: 6-10 (The should start off the year 3-0... how does a 3-10 finish sound?)

Kansas City Chiefs: 5-11 (Are things looking up? It depends on whether or not Matt Cassle is a one year wonder or not)

Oakland Raiders: 3-13 (They'll finish in the top 3! Of next year's draft......)

NFC East:

*Eagles: 13-3 (Best team in the NFC, and will be part of the all Pennsylvania Super Bowl)

*Giants: 11-5 (Love the defense and Eli will do what he needs to in order to win. The only team I could see taking down the Eagles in the playoffs)

Cowboys 9-7 (All the pressure on Tony Romo... and I think he will handle it, but the defense will him down)

Redskins: 7-9 (Their schedule says 9-7... but the team wont live to that potential)

NFC North:

*Packers: 11-5 (I like their schedule and Aaron Rogers will prove himself as a top 10 NFL QB)

Bears: 10-6 (Jay Cutler can throw the ball... but do the bears have anyone who can catch it for him?)

Vikings: 8-8 (The defense and AP will only carry them so far. The need a consistent second option at RB)

Lions: 2-14 (Start practicing, Mr. Commissioner! "With the first pick in the 2010 NFL draft, the Detroit Lions select....)

NFC South:

*Falcons: 11-5 (We know the offense will be there, but the difference between 1st round exit and conference championship game will hinge on the defense)

*Saints: 10-6 (They can score 55 points in a game... but they could give up 56 in a game)

Panthers: 8-8 (They can be the best team in the league and the worst team the week after. When you average that out, you get a team that is.... average)

Buccaneers: 5-11 (They can't rely on the defense anymore, and I'm not sure if I trust any of the 34 QB's on their roster)

NFC West:

*Cardinals: 11-5 (If the defense shows up... look out. Kurt Warner is my early pick for MVP)

Seahawks: 9-7 (I like the pickup of T.J Houshmanzasdnalskjfnasdkjfnasdlf and the defense is solid. But, they will be hurt by the coaching change)

49ers: 7-9 (They need a QB before they can contend... luckily, Shaun Hill could be that QB)

Rams: 6-10 (They have the worst talent-to-win ratio of any team in the league. The change in head coach could bring the defense from DI to lower tier NFL)

---------

I'm pretty sure the numbers don't add up properly, but this is more or less a general idea of what I see this season.

I see you have put some thought into it. I think you may be correct with the all pennsylvania super bowl. :D

haha

I kinda did. But, if Westbrook is injured long term for the Eagles... I think the Packers would be the dark horse to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl.

Would have to agree with most of this. Think that the Saints could beat Atlanta out in the South. Think the Bills and Texans will be the surprises. Believe Houston will win the division outright. And the Bills will make the playoffs. I think Minnesota will do better than you predicted though and I would still pick them to be in a three way tossup with Chicago and Green Bay in the Central. And the Lions? Well, you know the answer on that one. Maybe they will win a game? Who knows?

Yeah, I have the Bills making the playoffs. It was basically a toss up between the Texans and the Bills for that final wild card spot, but I think the Bills have a slightly better defense and that will keep them in the #6 spot. This is basically the same argument for why I have the Falcons higher then the Saints, I think the Falcons have a slightly better D.

The Vikings are interesting, because AP is a beast, but hes inconsistent. If hes inconsistent, then the QB is gonna have to step up. I don't think they have the targets or the QB to contend with the Packers. But, the Vikings defense is top 5 and that could be the difference.

haha

I kinda did. But, if Westbrook is injured long term for the Eagles... I think the Packers would be the dark horse to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl.

I heard that Westbrook just had ankle surgery and will be ready for the start of the season.

The predictions I've got so far are Patriots either 14-2 or 16-0, Dolphins 8-8. Patriots win Super Bowl 44. Eagles will not even make the playoffs. On the first Monday Night game of the season Patriots beat the Bills by a score of around 42-17. Brady will be back to full form, I mean just look what he did in 01 he had never even played before and he had a mediocre line and only one pretty decent receiver in Troy Brown. He may have been put a season now but he has the best reveiving core/o-line in NFL history. Even if Brady comes back at 65% he can throw to either Randy Moss, Joey Galloway, Wes Welker, or even Greg Lewis, and he's got players like Matt Light, Stephen Neal, and Dan Koppen among others to block for him. In short this Patriots team on paper at least is better than in 07.

The predictions I've got so far are Patriots either 14-2 or 16-0, Dolphins 8-8. Patriots win Super Bowl 44. Eagles will not even make the playoffs. On the first Monday Night game of the season Patriots beat the Bills by a score of around 42-17. Brady will be back to full form, I mean just look what he did in 01 he had never even played before and he had a mediocre line and only one pretty decent receiver in Troy Brown. He may have been put a season now but he has the best reveiving core/o-line in NFL history. Even if Brady comes back at 65% he can throw to either Randy Moss, Joey Galloway, Wes Welker, or even Greg Lewis, and he's got players like Matt Light, Stephen Neal, and Dan Koppen among others to block for him. In short this Patriots team on paper at least is better than in 07.

I don't think Brady is gonna be as amazing as everyone says he will. Look at Carson Palmer, Donovan McNabb and Dante Culpepper. All 3 suffered knee injuries in recent years and it either took them 2 years to be back to form, or in the case of Dante, never. They were also a lot younger then Brady when the injury happened, save McNabb.

I doubt this Pats o-line is all time great, and last time I checked, they were getting old, along with the defense. Experience is good, but you still have to able to physically make the plays on the field. And, all because the Patriots roster looks like a fantasy football line-up with famous names, doesn't mean they will be a great team.

I have them at 11-5, and still making the playoffs. That legendary 07 offense was shut down by a dominant defense. So give me a good defense over the Pat's offense anyday.

• 2 weeks later...

30 Days :slapface: What a joke!

Stallworth gets 30 days in jail

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

MIAMI -- Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte' Stallworth began serving a 30-day jail sentence yesterday for killing a pedestrian while driving drunk in Florida, a punishment made possible by his cooperation with investigators and the fervent wish by the victim's family to put the matter behind them.

Stallworth, 28, also reached a confidential financial settlement with the family of 59-year-old Mario Reyes, a construction worker struck and killed early on March 14 by Stallworth, driving drunk in his black 2005 Bentley.

Stallworth had faced 15 years in prison for his DUI manslaughter conviction. After his release from jail, he must serve two years of house arrest and spend eight years on probation. The house arrest provisions will allow him to resume his football career, his attorney said.

The NFL is reviewing the matter for possible disciplinary action. Stallworth could face suspension without pay for some games this year.

Leonard Little of the St. Louis Rams pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter after he hit and killed a woman while driving drunk in 1998 and served an eight-game suspension, though the punishment was doled out when the league was a bit more lenient.

30 Days :slapface: What a joke!

Stallworth gets 30 days in jail

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

MIAMI -- Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte' Stallworth began serving a 30-day jail sentence yesterday for killing a pedestrian while driving drunk in Florida, a punishment made possible by his cooperation with investigators and the fervent wish by the victim's family to put the matter behind them.

Stallworth, 28, also reached a confidential financial settlement with the family of 59-year-old Mario Reyes, a construction worker struck and killed early on March 14 by Stallworth, driving drunk in his black 2005 Bentley.

Stallworth had faced 15 years in prison for his DUI manslaughter conviction. After his release from jail, he must serve two years of house arrest and spend eight years on probation. The house arrest provisions will allow him to resume his football career, his attorney said.

The NFL is reviewing the matter for possible disciplinary action. Stallworth could face suspension without pay for some games this year.

Leonard Little of the St. Louis Rams pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter after he hit and killed a woman while driving drunk in 1998 and served an eight-game suspension, though the punishment was doled out when the league was a bit more lenient.

Hello ZEP and NFL fans!

I just recived two footballs from then pro bowl that was played at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, Hawaii on Feb 8, 2009. I have one signed by all the AFC players and one signed by the NFC players. Both with letters of authenticity. I have a dear friend at the NFL and he sent them to me just to be kind.

The game was won by the NFC All -Stars 30-21. Andy Reid, Head Coach of the Philidelphia Eagles, and his staff coached the NFC All-Stars and John Harbaugh, Head Coach of the Baltimore Ravens, and his staff coached the AFC All Stars.

had to share with all of you:-)

This from the NFL's "what have you been up to lately" :slapface:

Leaf arrested at boarder

Former NFL quarterback Ryan Leaf was in custody in Washington on drug and burglary charges out of Texas after being arrested by customs agents as he returned to the United States from Canada.

It is hard to believe that there were actually questions at one time on who to draft, Manning or Leaf. :unsure:

I just don't understand some of these guys in the NFL.

League suspends Stallworth

Cleveland Browns receiver Donte' Stallworth was indefinitely suspended by the NFL yesterday for driving drunk and killing a pedestrian in Miami.

"The conduct reflected in your guilty plea resulted in the tragic loss of life and was inexcusable," Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a letter to Stallworth.

Stallworth, who will not be paid during the suspension, pleaded guilty this month to a DUI manslaughter charge for striking Mario Reyes on March 14. He began serving a 30-day jail sentence Tuesday and has reached a financial settlement with the family of the 59-year-old construction worker.

Leaf to surrender

Ryan Leaf's attorney says the former NFL quarterback is back in West Texas and plans to surrender today on burglary and drug-related charges.

Bill Kelly said he was in court all day yesterday and couldn't get Leaf processed to face one count of burglary and eight drug-related counts associated with the painkiller Hydrocodone.

I've been so out of the loop for the last few years that it is hard for me to really get back into it. One thing I must say I am really curious about is if Brett Favre comes back and plays for the Vikings. I hope he does. I am a good Brett Favre fan and I hope the old gunslinger comes back and excites. I just hope he can come back and play at the same level, cause it would be a major disappointment otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of a team leader do you think Favre is with all the b.s. he has been pulling the past couple of years? The Vikings are a quarterback short of really making a deep run into the playoffs, but will Favre's 40 year old body hold up? He didn't do the Jets any favors late last season.

Camps open in about three weeks - wooohoooo!! :hurrah:

Sad news out of Nashville today. From the Toronto Sun

Former NFL quarterback McNair killed

By Kristin M. Hall, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Former NFL quarterback Steve McNair and a woman were found shot to death Saturday afternoon inside a condominium in downtown Nashville, police said.

Police spokesman Don Aaron said authorities were still investigating the shootings and that no suspects were in custody.

"I don't have any answers for you now as to what's happened, who's responsible," Aaron said.

Aaron said the 36-year-old McNair died of a gunshot wound to the head. He said police tentatively identified the woman, but did not release her name.

"There are persons who were around the complex today, visitors, who have been taken to headquarters for questioning, just to see what they know, what they may have seen," he said.

Aaron said officers went to the scene after receiving a call about injured persons inside the condo.

"When police officers arrived in response to that call, they found two individuals who had been shot to death inside the residence," he said.

The condominium is one that McNair was known to frequent, but police spokeswoman Kristin Mumford said she didn't know if he was the owner.

McNair played 13 seasons in the NFL and led the Titans within a yard of forcing overtime in the 2000 Super Bowl, which they lost 23-16 to the St. Louis Rams. He also played for the Baltimore Ravens before retiring in April 2008.

"We don't know the details, but it is a terrible tragedy and our hearts go out to the families involved," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement.

"We are saddened and shocked to hear the news of Steve McNair's passing today," Titans owner Bud Adams said in a statement. "He was one of the finest players to play for our organization and one of the most beloved players by our fans. He played with unquestioned heart and leadership and led us to places that we had never reached, including our only Super Bowl."

About 50 people crowded just beyond police tape outside the complex in the upscale Rutledge Hill neighbourhood, some wearing Titans hats. The condominium is located within walking distance of an area filled with restaurants and nightspots, a few blocks from the Cumberland River and within view of the Titans' stadium.

McNair began his career in 1995 with the Houston Oilers, who eventually became the Titans, and finished with 31,304 yards passing and 174 touchdowns. McNair played with pain for several years, and the injuries ultimately forced him to retire.

McNair's most noted drive was the final one of the 2000 Super Bowl. He drove the Titans 87 yards in the final minute 48 seconds, only to come up a yard short of the tying touchdown. Kevin Dyson caught his nine-yard pass, but was tackled at the one-yard line by the Rams' Mike Jones.

McNair accounted for all of Tennessee's yards in that drive, throwing for 48 yards and rushing for 14. The rest of the yardage came on penalties against the Rams. Before that, he brought the Titans back from a 16-0 deficit to tie the game.

"The people who didn't know Steve McNair before will know him now," Tennessee tight end Frank Wycheck said after the game. "Did you see that desire? Did you see that heart?"

During a five-game stretch at the end of the 2002 season, McNair was so bruised he couldn't practice. But he started all five games and won them, leading the Titans to an 11-5 finish and a berth in the AFC championship game for the second time in four seasons.

McNair played all 16 games in 2006, his first season in Baltimore, and guided the Ravens to a 13-3 record. But he injured his groin during the season opener last season and never regained the form that enabled him to earn a berth in four Pro Bowls.

"I am deeply saddened to learn of today's tragic news regarding the death of Steve McNair. He was a player who I admired a great deal," said New England Patriots senior football adviser Floyd Reese, who was GM of the Titans when McNair played there. "He was a tremendous leader and an absolute warrior. He felt like it was his responsibility to lead by working hard every day, no matter what.

"I don't think there was a player who played with him or against him that didn't look up to him and respect him," Reese said. "My heartfelt condolences go out to his family, his friends and the many teammates who loved and admired him."

Titans coach Jeff Fisher was out of the country, taking part in the first NFL-USO coaches tour to Iraq

From what I know, McNair had several gun shot wounds while she only had one. And with no signs of forced entry at the apartment, it very well may have been he was murdered and she committed suicide.

There is a press conference from the Nashville PD at 2:45... so we'll see

• 3 weeks later...

This from the Toronto Sun.

T.O.-mania is on

And neither the Bills nor Owens seem to mind

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

PITTSFORD, N.Y. -- Coach Dick Jauron was in the midst of discussing the electric quality Terrell Owens' presence brings to the Buffalo Bills when, as if on cue, a roar of cheers and shrieks erupted from the other side of the field.

The cause of the commotion was Owens, of course. To the delight of the hundreds of fans who had waited after practice, the star receiver elected to hold an impromptu autograph session that lasted nearly 25 minutes and thoroughly drowned out anything his coach had to say about the Bills opening training camp yesterday morning.

Not that it mattered to Jauron, who has quickly grown accustomed to being upstaged by Owens after spending most of his vacation this past month fielding questions about T.O.

"It adds a lot of excitement," Jauron said. "I don't know how (the attention) can be bad."

It wasn't at all bad on this muggy day in suburban Rochester for the Bills and their fans, who got a first-hand taste of T.O.-mania. More than 5,000 fans combined to attend the team's two practice sessions, and a majority of them were clearly there to see Owens make his public practice debut in a Bills uniform since signing with the team in March, days after being released by Dallas.

CIRCUS ATMOSPHERE

It proved to be a circus-type atmosphere. There were fans who had "T.O." painted on their chests in Bills colours. Others brought their popcorn and spilled it on to the field. Many brought boxes of the limited edition "T.O's" breakfast cereal that's available in local grocery stores. And there was certainly a large amount of No. 81 jerseys that dotted the stands.

Sound exciting?

"I'm used to it," Owens said with a shrug. "Everywhere that I've been, it's always been that type of reception."

But he did feel welcome?

"I know that the Buffalo fans are very, very fanatical," Owens said. "So, coming out here, I expected nothing less."

Owens got the royal treatment, the type reserved for the likes of past stars, such as Jim Kelly, whenever he makes his annual visit to camp.

Owens' arrival already has benefited the Bills, whose season-ticket sales are already over 50,000. Now it's a question of whether he can help spark what's been a sputtering offence.

Receiver Lee Evans is confident Owens will deliver.

"With him coming here, we see what we can do offensively and I think there's great optimism," Evans said. "We feel like now we have a real shot -- we have the potential and the talent -- to be able to make the playoffs."

LET"S GO BUFFALO!!!

This is in today's Toronto Sun. As much as I am a dog lover and deplore what Vick did, I have to agree with T.O.

T.O. slams NFL's handling of Vick

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

PITTSFORD, N.Y. -- Terrell Owens wants Michael Vick to be reinstated immediately by the NFL, and said any extension of the quarterback's suspension would be similar to "kicking a dead horse."

Speaking after the Buffalo Bills training camp practice yesterday morning, the star receiver referred to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's handling of Vick's status as "unfair."

Owens also lobbied to have more of the league's high-profile players voicing their opinion in support of Vick and asked the NFL Players Association to become more involved.

"I think he's done the time for what he's done. I don't think it's really fair for him to be suspended four more games," Owens said, referring to reports that the NFL is considering to further punish Vick.

"It's almost like kicking a dead horse in the ground ... The guy's already suffered so much. And to add a four-game suspension on a two-year prison sentence, that's ridiculous."

Vick met with Goodell this week but has yet to learn when he will be allowed to resume his NFL career. The former Falcons star was suspended indefinitely in August 2007 after he admitted bankrolling a dogfighting operation.

Vick has served a 23-month federal sentence and was freed from home confinement on July 20. He must still serve three years' probation.

Owens said Vick deserves a second chance.

"Why shouldn't he? I mean, there's a lot more guys around the league that have done far more worst things than that and gotten second chances," Owens said.

Owens said he would welcome Vick as a teammate.

"Michael Vick is a guy that really hasn't any character issues besides what he got a prison sentence for, so why not?" he said.

Meanwhile, the Bills second-round pick Andy Levitre signed a four-year deal, leaving the team with three unsigned rookies.

The offensive guard signed the deal at the team's headquarters in Orchard Park, and was travelling to report to camp in suburban Rochester, N.Y. He has missed four practices since the Bills opened camp Saturday.

A very nice interview with the greatest running back of all-time....

Barry Sanders did make the best highlight runs, and sometimes made other players look like they were standing still. But watching a complete game, and enduring all those + 1 and -3 yard running plays when things broke down and he'd get smothered, was not an overall pleasant spectacle. And they did have some dangerous receivers, back then...

Archived