The Firm Thread

As I recall, the "Cleveland" bootleg actually features their Hara Arena (Dayton, OH) gig

(5/9/86) recorded by Westwood One for a Superstars In Concert radio broadcast later

that summer. The Cleveland gig was postponed a day (someone who was on the tour told me Jimmy was food-poisoned at an Oriental restaurant after the Dayton concert) and performed on Mother's Day. A special section was reserved to allow free admission

to Mother's attending with their children (I'm not kidding!).

I recall the Cleveland gig being a live simulcast on Westwood One.I listened to it here in NC.Jimmy was great that night and I tried to tape it but my machine fucked up.I'm sure that anyone could have gotten a decent recording... I tried to get my friend in Cleveland to go see it but he was really sick at the time.He still regrets not going. :D

Jimmy Page crawling through windows in the middle of the night , mumbling and not being recognized , hmmmmmmmmm. I think I will laugh now.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Why?

He probably couldn't prove it did happen, and even the girl could not as well. It went the same for you that you couldn't prove it did not happen.

It might sound strange, and so are those thousands stories flying about Led Zeppelin all the time. I don't care if it was true or not, but actually I don't think it was ABSOLUTELY impossible.

I recall the Cleveland gig being a live simulcast on Westwood One.I listened to it here in NC.Jimmy was great that night and I tried to tape it but my machine fucked up.I'm sure that anyone could have gotten a decent recording... I tried to get my friend in Cleveland to go see it but he was really sick at the time.He still regrets not going. :D

Hmm. I shall have to look into this a bit further, as when I go from memory I'm often mistaken. It could well have been the Cleveland gig that was broadcast, but almost

certainly not as a live simulcast -- Superstars In Concert was always pre-recorded

and the shows were cut down to fit the 90 minute format, as is the case with the

bootleg. I have this very vague recollection of Jimmy himself having approved the

final mix of the mastertapes whilst on the east coast but again...going from memory.

Why?

He probably couldn't prove it did happen, and even the girl could not as well. It went the same for you that you couldn't prove it did not happen.

It might sound strange, and so are those thousands stories flying about Led Zeppelin all the time. I don't care if it was true or not, but actually I don't think it was ABSOLUTELY impossible.

All I am trying to achieve is that people should use their judgement in these moments and think rationally and not just accept people's " stories " as the real deal . Be a little decisive and remain thoughtful , before passing it on and allowing it to become a fact without evidence.

Maybe it did happen, and with SAJ's additional information that puts JP in the area , it could have.

Imagine just how easily this tale could be part truth , if Jimmy was in a limo, and the driver stops to see his chic-friend , possibly to score some shit, and the guy goes in, does his thing and mentions that JP is , or even was in his car.

Next thing you know the story gets a little more creative when told, and people love a good gossip , then it's passed on and takes on a few new details to spice it up and wham-O , you get some spaced out story of a bumbling rock star sneaking through windows in the middle of the night.

Did someone just say " National Enquirer " ???

Anyway, you did ask WHY , and that is my rebuttle and answer.

Not looking to discredit anyone or ruffle feathers.

I think the word discretion is appropriate here.

It's a good thread , so don't let this silliness carry over and continue.

Peace

It's not an "issue" as you call it. It's just a story-plain and simple. Don't get defensive about a story bro-It's very possible from my point of view and from who experienced it. I'm not on here to tell tall tales, you got the wrong guy. But even if it made you laugh, thanks for reading......

Edited by Rock Historian

I'm simply telling a story the way I heard it. But let me say this. He does have (did have) ties here in New Orleans and he was seen on several occasions at bars around Fat City in Metairie in the 80's. That's were he met his wife Patricia Ekerd. The girl who told me this particular story was not a bullshitter and she had no reason to make it up. And to add up on my end, I wouldn't post anything as ridiculous as it sounds without some sort of good source. It's a crazy story, I agree but drugs do funny things to people (he was on heroin or cocaine if you read between the lines) All the ex told me was that he was definitely "on something".(It could have been a combination of things for all I know) It's cool if you don't believe it-but don't say it's complete bullshit- I wouldn't post it. That also makes me a bullshitter which I'm not.....I have other great stories of this era, but you may not believe them either. (I'm not a journalist for the Enquirer)

And thanks Steve for claifying the date of which he was in town playing a show. You are a creditable source as well.

Edited by Rock Historian

I'm simply telling a story the way I heard it. But let me say this. He does have (did have) ties here in New Orleans and he was seen on several occasions at bars around Fat City in Metairie in the 80's. That's were he met his wife Patricia Ekerd. The girl who told me this particular story was not a bullshitter and she had no reason to make it up. And to add up on my end, I wouldn't post anything as ridiculous as it sounds without some sort of good source. It's a crazy story, I agree but drugs do funny things to people (he was on heroin if you read between the lines) That's cool if you don't believe it-but don't say it's bullshit- I would't post it. That also makes me a bullshitter which I'm not.....I have other great stories of this era, but you may not believe them either.

Sorry, but there is no evidence to suggest Jimmy was using heroin beyond 1983, the year he confided in others he had kicked the habit. However, he was charged with cocaine possession during the rehearsals for The Firm's first world tour in Autumn 1984.

Getting back to Page sightings in Lousiana, radio station WCKW reported he was seen playing darts at Dino's Rock Box (3619 8th Street) in New Orleans two days prior (March 16th 1990). I presume he and

Patricia were visiting her side of the family. James Jr. would have been 23 months old at the time.

Sorry, but there is no evidence to suggest Jimmy was using heroin beyond 1983, the year he confided in others he had kicked the habit. However, he was charged with cocaine possession during the rehearsals for The Firm's first world tour in Autumn 1984.

Getting back to Page sightings in Lousiana, radio station WCKW reported he was seen playing darts at Dino's Rock Box (3619 8th Street) in New Orleans two days prior (March 16th 1990). I presume he and

Patricia were visiting her side of the family. James Jr. would have been 23 months old at the time.

Yeah, Dino's Rock Box was in " Fat City". Also McAllister's was another Jimmy Page hang-out. Again, in "Fat City" (Metairie,LA).

Edited by Rock Historian

I found my concert/tour program from the Firm concert March 1985 today! It is in pretty good condition for being 24 years old (God! Has it been that long ago! :o ) It was in a box with some of my old records. I also found tour programs for Van Halen from 1980 and Stevie Nicks. Also in the box was a magazine type publication on Led Zeppelin published by Robus Books in 1986. It is in really good shape with the poster that is in the middle still there. It has alot of pics in it but most we have all seen.

In the box were the following Led Zeppelin LPs: Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti and In Through the Out Door. The covers and inserts are in pretty good shape. Still have the outer brown paper bag from ITOD but I did do the water color thing with the inside sleeve in certain areas! I wish I had a turn table to play them on to see if they are still decent. I know I wore these albums out back in the day, especially Physical Graffiti!

Now I just need to find my ticket stubs and the rest of my concert t-shirts that I hopefully didn't give away!

Why?

Thanks..for making sense.

No offence my friend, but it's " stories " like this that get told and then retold and on and on until they get believed by some. Interesting to read, somewhat , whatever turns your crank.

On a scale of believability ------- :slapface:

As I said, no harm meant here, but this sounds about as real as that other tale told here about JP playing an acoustic guitar on some beach in Florida , riffing off all of Zepp 1 songs and apparently going incognito. Another 4 AM nightly fairy tale.

I can't sit here and say it didn't happen and won't argue the point, but felt compelled to say something about issues like this.

Jimmy Page crawling through windows in the middle of the night , mumbling and not being recognized , hmmmmmmmmm. I think I will laugh now.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Zepp 4 Life, WHO ARE YOU to say the story is far fetched??? Were you there? It's a crazy, unbelievable story, I'll agree, but how do you know it didn't happen.

Let me ask. Have you ever done anything crazy in your life? Something nobody would believe, something dangerous? I'm sure you have. We all have. So don't say it's bull just because YOU don't believe it fully. Just say it's hard to believe. That's more fair and polite than telling someone their basically full of shit. That's the kind of stuff that pisses people off on this site (including me) and not to mention rude. Sounds like Rock Historian was sharing a story of his, nothing more. Just remember that everyones done stupid shit in their life, including Jimmy-he's human.

Love The Firm and Jimmy I might add. I witnessed The Firm live three times. All great moments. Jimmy's playing was on fire and otherworldly. A very different style than Zeppelin. He used alot of wammy bar tricks in his playing.

Edited by Equinox73

Hmm. I shall have to look into this a bit further, as when I go from memory I'm often mistaken. It could well have been the Cleveland gig that was broadcast

I've reconfirmed it was Cleveland (5/11/86) recorded for radio to promote The Firm's tour and Dayton (10/21/88) to promote the Outrider tour. Cheers!

The three shows I witnessed were all great. Very good attendance and I'm sure it was sold out. It was a different time back then and most of the people there were Page or Zeppelin fans. I used to have my stubs but I've traveled and moved so much over the last few years, I don't know if I still have them. I'll post one if I run across any. One of the highlights of the concert was The Chase. They jammed for 20 minutes or so, each taking a solo spot in between. Pretty cool! They were tight

Edited by Equinox73

I've reconfirmed it was Cleveland (5/11/86) recorded for radio to promote The Firm's tour and Dayton (10/21/88) to promote the Outrider tour. Cheers!

Wasn't there also a radio broadcast from one of the Firm shows at the Great Western Forum ?

( I was listening to Cleveland and Edinburgh)

I saw the May 2nd, 1986 show at Joe Louis.

The names of their two albums were The Firm (1985) which hit number 17 in the U. S. And number 19 in the U. K., , and Mean Business (1986) hit number 22 in the U. S. And number 46 in the U. K... They released 4 singles which were Radioactive (1985), which hit number 28 in the U. S., Satisfaction Guaranteed (1985) hit number 73 in the U. S., All the King’s Horses (1986) reached number 61 in the U. S., and Live in Peace (1986).

Peaked at # 46 in the U.K. ? What the hell ? :slapface::(

LoL....outsold by Mike & the Mechanics.

After playing the game with radio broadcasts, MTV videos, and other promotions, Jimmy must have been pretty depressed about the sales of both albums, especially when the 2nd album was given even harsher treatment than the first.

Anyone have any vinyl 45's from The Firm ? :huh: