The Firm Thread

Is there any clips/links from the Firms 1986 tour posted on youtube? I've only seen stuff from the 1984 concert at Hammersmith Odeon, England. Love to check out something from that 2nd tour.

There is a video floating around in bootville from the Rochester 86 show.

I happen to have been at the show and was in the front row.

I can remember it like yesterday because it was March 29 and the record for the hottest day ever was achieved that night. It went from 0 degrees C up to 30 degrees C in a 24 hour period.

I have never seen any clips from that show appear on Y-tube.

It's a grainy video with some pretty bad sound, due to technology of that time.

My copy is still in VHS form , so the digital transfer still needs completion, plus I have been looking around for something closer to 1st generation for awhile now. Still no luck there.

Other then that, I have not heard of nor seen a thing. It's a shame, and I wish there was more.

I remember The Firm covering Willie Dixon's "I Just Wanna Make Love To You" as one of the encores on the '86 tour.....pretty rip-roaring version too. Did they ever cover anything else ?

Did any of the singles have any b-sides that weren't released on the two albums ?

Steve....Do you have a studio timeline ? If those articles are accurate, I'm getting the impression that most of the second album was recorded with the first.

Is there any clips/links from the Firms 1986 tour posted on youtube? I've only seen stuff from the 1984 concert at Hammersmith Odeon, England. Love to check out something from that 2nd tour.

There's also a boot VHS video from the April 1986 show at the Nassau Coliseum. I was in the front row (but I don't see myself on the video, maybe because it was shot from a level up). It's not the complete show, although it is most of it.

I remember The Firm covering Willie Dixon's "I Just Wanna Make Love To You" as one of the encores on the '86 tour.....pretty rip-roaring version too. Did they ever cover anything else ?

I think that was the only cover and it was performed multiple times on the tour.

Did any of the singles have any b-sides that weren't released on the two albums ?

There are some 78 rpm (12") singles which do:

'Radioactive' (special extended remix) b/w 'Radioactive' (album version)

PR 714 Atlantic USA Promo with Picture Sleeve

'Tear Down The Walls' b/w 'Live In Peace' (Live)

PR 894 Atlantic USA Promo

Note: Live tracks sourced from soundboard for Hammersmith Odeon 12/9/84

'Radioactive' (special mix) & 'Together' b/w 'City Sirens' (live) & 'Live In Peace' (live)

A9586TE Atlantic UK with Picture Sleeve

'Radioactive' (crunch mix) b/w 'City Sirens' (Live) & 'Live In Peace' (Live)

786 905-0 Germany

I'm aware of 14 different 45 rpm singles and 16 different 78 rpm singles.

Steve....Do you have a studio timeline ? If those articles are accurate, I'm getting the impression that most of the second album was recorded with the first.

Jimmy and Paul began to rehearse at Nomis Studios in London in Sept '84, and group rehearsals began when they were joined by Tony Franklin and then Chris Slade. They were booked as The McGregors, a nod to Jimmy's occult interests.

Within a month or so Jimmy and Paul pre-booked all of their studio time (two months) at Jimmy's Sol Studio in Cookham, Berkshire, thus imposing a working deadline to meet. It

was there that a photo shoot was held for promotional purposes.

Roy Harper stopped by in October, and he happened to be severely gnat-bitten LOL.

He and Jimmy took off to perform 'Hangman' and 'Same Old Rock' near Scafell Pike for

an Olde Grey Whistle Test telecast on BBC which originally aired 11/5/84, the same day

Jimmy was fined in the Royal Crown Court for a second cocaine possession charge back

in September. He could have faced a prison sentence, but it was known the upcoming tour would fill the Inland Revenue Service' coffers so leniency was granted.

I do show The Firm recorded the promo video for 'Radioactive' with producer Aubrey Powell in NYC on 10/12/85 and three more in one day with Aubrey - 'All The Kings Horses', 'Live In Peace' and 'Tear Down The Walls' - on 12/12/85 but nothing more

concerning studio time for the second album. I shall have to look into this further,

but it would seem studio time was booked in Autumn '85 for the second album.

As you know, Jimmy rehearsed with Robert & JPJ in Bath (Jan '86) soonafter and The

Firm disbanded following a brief North American tour to promote the release of 'Mean

Business'. In November 1986 Jimmy issued a press release announcing he was leaving The Firm to begin a solo album.

I still think it was a live simulcast,was it not?

Still looking into it, but it's highly unlikely to have been a live simulcast. Performances on Superstars in Concert, among others, were always pre-recorded and then edited down to fit the program format (length), to include commercial breaks, etc.

Anyone have any vinyl 45's from The Firm ? :huh:

Yeah I do and I also have the 12" Radioactive which is bloody brilliant. :D

Here are some of my tickets and passes - the rest are lost. :(

I saw every show on the first UK tour, about 6 on the first US one, about 8 on the second US one, and just the London ones of the second UK one as I had been in the States at the start of it.

I've posted the cover of the first tour prog (and some of the tickets are stuck inside the back cover). I can scan in the whole prog if anyone wants - I've scanned most of the pics in previously but not the whole pages.

pk677.jpg

pk678.jpg

pk679.jpg

pk680.jpg

pk681.jpg

I had a t-shirt too but heaven knows where its gone. I also had two posters, will see if I have a photo to scan in.

In case you hadn't guessed, I loved The Firm. :D

The poster. This one was my mates copy, mine is exactly the same but I stuck a black shirt over Paul's shirt as I couldn't bear to look at it!

DSCF2932.jpg

wow knebby, you were a guest at all those shows? did you watch all of them from the audience? or did you stay backstage for some?

i love the firm also.

Thanks for posting all those, Knebby, it's great to see that slice of history! Especially as I never managed to see the Firm. :(

And thanks for posting those articles, Thozil. :)

tks Aqua for the writing....same feelings here...(I was very removed from the 80's music scene...didn't follow much anybody...but reading this entire thread...one of my fav's...I realized how brilliant Jimmy is...but it was just sign of times...new generations and new music...I will say this bit about the 80's....it was time of confusion for music industry in general....

But again, Page is brilliant looking at his performances... :D

Paul Rodgers is fine too...really not much to complain or to criticize for the sake of criticism...

:D

....anyhow, the 80's were a life-changing experience for me....I was for sure in a different world.....

It's good to know others enjoyed The Firm, especially in live performance, as much as I did. It was great to see Jimmy back in action after his bleak post-Zeppelin phase. I was lucky to get front row seats for 3 of the 4 Firm shows I attended. Page really put on a show and between the sweat, smoke and searing guitar work it was obvious Jimmy was back and having a blast.

I vividly recall immediately before The Firm hit the stage, a multitude of very lovely ladies were installed in front of the stage for " musical inspiration."

I had a t-shirt too but heaven knows where its gone.

I was on vacation out West the next Summer, and saw a teenager with a Firm t-shirt from the tour. I didn't hesitate and walked right up to the kid and told him how much I liked his shirt and enjoyed the show. He gave me a funny look and said, "Oh Dude....that show was last year !" :slapface:

Thanks to everyone for posting your stuff.

I have a dark blue t shirt from the show I saw. It was April 4, 1986 at the Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey. Tix were $15.50.

I remember to get tickets I drove to a ticketmaster an hour away and slept in the car overnight in the rain to be first in line. That ticketmaster opened half an hour earlier than the one in my hometown.

I was still only fifth in line and ended up with Row T, Seat 5.

I will never forget as it was the first time I had ever seen Jimmy in person. I wasn't very close but he was still stunning. The bow was incredible as well as well as the lasers and awesome light show. Paul Rogers was frigging crystal and Tony Franklin really stood out.

I also have a picture disc of Radioactive and Together. Atlantic A9586P. It's still sealed and never opened. PM if interested.

This thread is for all things related to The Firm....because I checked back pretty far, and we don't really have one.....and they deserve it !

I just got done listening to some Firm shows. I was blown away by how tight this band was by 1986. Jimmy's playing is far better than most people give him credit for. Even the fretless Bass now sounds good ! The lame studio songs like "Cadillac" and "You've Lost That Lovin Feelin" seem to come alive on stage.

While listening to some of their shows, I couldn't help but think that Rodgers and Page didn't get enough credit at the time for the chances that were taken with this band. The shadow of Zeppelin and even Bad Co. would loom large over anything either tried at this point of their careers, yet this band really didn't attempt to copy either. That in itself was no small accomplishment. With both having a vast back catalog to rely on, Rodgers and Page relied only on the present. The mid-80's were also not the best time for a new veteran hard rock band to get on the map. In fact, the aging dinosaur cracks from the press began before anyone even heard a tune.

I remember finding "Mean Business" in the cut-out bin at the local music store for $1.99...about a year after it's release. I already owned it, but it pissed me off so bad that I bought another two copies on vinyl.

So maybe you hate the fretless Bass sound....Jimmy's B Bender.....the lack of improv.....but I think The Firm as a whole is wearing quite well these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhImk5QPA8s...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS0Nu2NBRpM...feature=related

How's it going "Bong-Man?" I hope all is well with you. GREAT THREAD! I saw THE FIRM'S first Tour at The Forum in L.A. on 14 March 1985, it was one hell of a great show! And being the devout concert ticket collector that I am, and although I did not see these shows, I managed to collect THE FIRM concert ticket stubs at the McNichols Arena in Denver, Colorado on 10 March 1985, The Capital Centre (Two different dates) on 1 May 1985 and 19 March 1986 which is located in Largo, Landover, Maryland; a suburb of Washington DC and last but not least, The Sun Dome in Tampa, Florida on 14 March 1986. I'm always looking for more concert ticket stubs on THE FIRM! ROCK ON!

• 2 months later...

Revisiting the soundboard recording for Cleveland 5/11/86 as I post this. Volume set to 10, the windows in the turret rattling. 'Fortune Hunter' is the show opener and everyone in Cleveland is losing their minds over it. 'Someone to Love'. God, that brings back memories of spotlights and denim and...moving under moonlight. 'Live In Peace' sounds so poignant. The Firm. A better band than you may or may not recall.

Edited by SteveAJones

Revisiting the soundboard recording for Cleveland 5/11/86 as I post this. Volume set to 10, the windows in the turret rattling. 'Fortune Hunter' is the show opener and everyone in Cleveland is losing their minds over it. 'Someone to Love'. God, that brings back memories of spotlights and denim and...moving under moonlight. 'Live In Peace' sounds so poignant. The Firm. A better band than you may or may not recall.

I still think that was a live simulcast Steve.

I sat in my living room and listened to it in 86 (in quad) :D I thought it was a great performance,Jimmy was definitely "on" that night!

Any luck finding out whether or not it was?

I still think that was a live simulcast Steve.

I sat in my living room and listened to it in 86 (in quad) :D I thought it was a great performance,Jimmy was definitely "on" that night!

Any luck finding out whether or not it was?

FWIW, the Superstar Concert Series radio broadcast is absolutely pre-recorded, not live.

It has Commercials for Coke, Sprite and Levis as well as breaks for local stations. I have

listed the musical content below. I cannot fathom this having gone out live, as so far as I know Westwood One Radio never did live simulcasts for Superstar Concert Series, King Biscuit Flower Hour, etc. I've got a very hazy recollection of Jimmy himself having taken a personal interest in the outcome of the editing for the 1985 Firm WWO SSC Series program. It was of course their first tour and he wanted the showcasing to be just right. Additionally, there is no mention whatsoever in the news archives of the Cleveland Plain Dealer for a live simulcast in '85 or '86. Perhaps the airdate (weekend of Aug 9, 1986)

or the program listing below will jog some memories for you.

Westwood One Radio Networks - Superstar Concert Series

For Broadcast the Weekend of Aug 9, 1986

Show # SS86-18

3LP set (1 hr 24 mins 5 secs)

Performance Date: 5-11-1986

01 - Fortune Hunter [4:53]

02 - Someone To Love [4:55]

03 - Make Or Break [4:45]

04 - Introduction [0:53]

05 - Prelude [1:55]

06 - Money Can't Buy [4:54]

07 - Satisfaction Guaranteed [4:29]

08 - Radioactive [3:35]

09 - All The King's Horses [3:25]

10 - Cadillac [6:38]

11 - You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling [5:20]

12 - Midnight Moonlight [11:12]

13 - Tear Down The Walls [5:10]

14 - Live In Peace [5:18]

FWIW, the Superstar Concert Series radio broadcast is absolutely pre-recorded, not live.

It has Commercials for Coke, Sprite and Levis as well as breaks for local stations. I have

listed the musical content below. I cannot fathom this having gone out live, as so far as I know Westwood One Radio never did live simulcasts for Superstar Concert Series, King Biscuit Flower Hour, etc. I've got a very hazy recollection of Jimmy himself having taken a personal interest in the outcome of the editing for the 1985 Firm WWO SSC Series program. It was of course their first tour and he wanted the showcasing to be just right. Additionally, there is no mention whatsoever in the news archives of the Cleveland Plain Dealer for a live simulcast in '85 or '86. Perhaps the airdate (weekend of Aug 9, 1986)

or the program listing below will jog some memories for you.

Westwood One Radio Networks - Superstar Concert Series

For Broadcast the Weekend of Aug 9, 1986

Show # SS86-18

3LP set (1 hr 24 mins 5 secs)

Performance Date: 5-11-1986

01 - Fortune Hunter [4:53]

02 - Someone To Love [4:55]

03 - Make Or Break [4:45]

04 - Introduction [0:53]

05 - Prelude [1:55]

06 - Money Can't Buy [4:54]

07 - Satisfaction Guaranteed [4:29]

08 - Radioactive [3:35]

09 - All The King's Horses [3:25]

10 - Cadillac [6:38]

11 - You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling [5:20]

12 - Midnight Moonlight [11:12]

13 - Tear Down The Walls [5:10]

14 - Live In Peace [5:18]

I'm going to try and get up with the DJ that was here during that period.He was well respected in this area at the time and I believe he worked from 76 til the early 90's.I talked to him on a few occasions and he really enjoyed Led Zeppelin.