The Firm Thread

I too would love any material like this(or outrider for that matter) especially if the recording is equal in quality to hammersmith '84. pm please

Well, Hammersmith '84 is multi-camera, pro-shot footage. Seattle '86 is a single cam audience source.

• 1 month later...

I agree, Hammer-84 is of excellent quality. They put it out on the radio 30 yrs ago or so and I have a partial audio/cassette recording of it. If they are not going to make money off it, why then is it not out there in some form or another(independently). The fact that it just sits there in a warehouse collecting dust is a complete waste.

I agree, Hammer-84 is of excellent quality. They put it out on the radio 30 yrs ago or so and I have a partial audio/cassette recording of it. If they are not going to make money off it, why then is it not out there in some form or another(independently). The fact that it just sits there in a warehouse collecting dust is a complete waste.

Actually, I don't think the December 8, 1984 Hammersmith Odeon concert was ever released in it's entirety for radio. I could be mistaken on that but as I recall the only concert recording that was ever released to radio was the May 11, 1986 Richfield Coliseum concert (which was recorded for Westwood One's 'Superstars In Concert' program). However, two live tracks from Hammersmith - 'City Sirens' and 'Live In Peace' - were used as b-sides for singles.

You'll never see an official dvd release of The Firm Live at Hammersmith Odeon because there's essentially no popular demand for it. Aside from that MTV Europe (or whomever owns MTV Europe's archives now) owns the release rights, not the band. The band could approve or deny a dvd release but they don't own the rights to release it themselves.

I do agree it's a shame that MTV and other networks don't make their archives available to the public. I for one would certainly be willing to support a pay per view or pay per download business model.

Edited by SteveAJones

• 1 month later...

It appears there were talks about reuniting The Firm back before the O2 if Chris Slade is to be believed...

"We were going to put it together again. There were talks between their people, our people, and other people and it was going to be put back together and then this tiny, lesser-known band called Led Zeppelin got back together and did their reunion which knocked it on the head. Who knows what will happen, never say never, it might happen."

-Chris Slade

http://www.musicradar.com/news/drums/chris-slade-on-ac-dc-tom-jones-jimmy-page-gary-numan-and-more-603830

It appears there were talks about reuniting The Firm back before the O2 if Chris Slade is to be believed...

"We were going to put it together again. There were talks between their people, our people, and other people and it was going to be put back together and then this tiny, lesser-known band called Led Zeppelin got back together and did their reunion which knocked it on the head. Who knows what will happen, never say never, it might happen."

-Chris Slade

http://www.musicradar.com/news/drums/chris-slade-on-ac-dc-tom-jones-jimmy-page-gary-numan-and-more-603830

"Their people" (Jimmy and Paul's) and "our people" (Chris & Tony's) NOT "Jimmy and Paul". This is a non-story...dead on arrival. There will never be a reformation of The Firm. For one thing it wasn't a commercial success the first time around. For another, Jimmy said years ago that touring with Paul was like going on the road with his grandmother. They are still friends but you can bet they'll never work together again as a band mates.

"Their people" (Jimmy and Paul's) and "our people" (Chris & Tony's) NOT "Jimmy and Paul". This is a non-story...dead on arrival. There will never be a reformation of The Firm. For one thing it wasn't a commercial success the first time around. For another, Jimmy said years ago that touring with Paul was like going on the road with his grandmother. They are still friends but you can bet they'll never work together again as a band mates.

Was Page implying that Rodgers was an early-to-bed, no partying type of dude with his "going on the road with his grandmother" comment?

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Re-visited the two Firm albums again recently after many years. Must say I was very surprised to find they are a lot better than I remember them. Nothing at all adventurous, but two sets of mostly good strong, well-executed and recorded songs that are still very listenable 30 years after the fact. Just enough 80s production values in there to make them a little nostalgic, but not so much that they sound like dated 80s rock. To my ears Franklin's frettless bass sounds great, and , of course, Jimmy never ceases to please and occasionaly astonish with his turns of phrase.

Plenty of treasure in the two albums, radio shows, vidz and boots we have from The Firm.

Edited by renounce

Re-visited the two Firm albums again recently after many years. Must say I was very surprised to find they are a lot better than I remember them. Nothing at all adventurous, but two sets of mostly good strong, well-executed and recorded songs that are still very listenable 30 years after the fact. Just enough 80s production values in there to make them a little nostalgic, but not so much that they sound like dated 80s rock. To my ears Franklin's frettless bass sounds great, and , of course, Jimmy never ceases to please and occasionaly astonish with his turns of phrase.

Plenty of treasure in the two albums, radio shows, vidz and boots we have from The Firm.

Paul Rodgers' solo album Cut Loose is also worth revisiting. It features many songs later performed with The Firm.

I saw the Firm in 85' and 86' five times in the NYC area. The shows I saw unfortunately did not match up to some of the ones others

have mentioned. Most of the shows I saw Page was very lethargic and his soloing was not really happening. To be fair though, I do

have various audio/video where the band is jelling and Page is really using his string bender to amazing effect. I think Jimmy

made it very clear later on that he simply had to get out and re establish himself and the Firm was not meant to scale any lofty

artistic heights.

• 1 month later...

To the people who can isolate tracks of tunes, like the fascinating JPJ isolated bass on RO, is it possible to take the lyrics out of Midnight Moonlight? I would love to hear that.

Not unless somebody has access to the multitrack recordings, which is the only reason why we have the isolated bass (and everything else) from Ramble On.

Well actually there are computer programs which can remove vocals from a track. There are also digital vocal trainers which are used

quite obviously to erase the vocals so you can perfect your own. However these can cost from $150 to very high!?!?!!. The main problem,

especially with the cheaper ones is that they can remove very small to moderate amounts of the instrumentation.

Obviously, you want what Page has done with some of the Zep tracks. All I'm saying is yes it can be done, but to get it right,

MUCHO DINERO. Forget it.

• 2 months later...

Actually, I don't think the December 8, 1984 Hammersmith Odeon concert was ever released in it's entirety for radio. I could be mistaken on that but as I recall the only concert recording that was ever released to radio was the May 11, 1986 Richfield Coliseum concert (which was recorded for Westwood One's 'Superstars In Concert' program). However, two live tracks from Hammersmith - 'City Sirens' and 'Live In Peace' - were used as b-sides for singles.

You'll never see an official dvd release of The Firm Live at Hammersmith Odeon because there's essentially no popular demand for it. Aside from that MTV Europe (or whomever owns MTV Europe's archives now) owns the release rights, not the band. The band could approve or deny a dvd release but they don't own the rights to release it themselves.

I do agree it's a shame that MTV and other networks don't make their archives available to the public. I for one would certainly be willing to support a pay per view or pay per download business model.

It's such a shame that this & many other shows by many other artists that were professionally shot, were never released on dvd. I have been thinking about that in the past. 

Like I mentioned in another post. I saw Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes here in the Chicagoland area, & there were professional cameras there, the whole evening. What happened to that footage as well?

Like I mentioned in another post. I saw Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes here in the Chicagoland area, & there were professional cameras there, the whole evening. What happened to that footage as well?

How many pro cameras do you recall? What was their positioning? It's possible The Black Crowes were keeping their options open for a live dvd release to coincide with the live cd, or in the event they didn't get signed to a record deal. However, they get signed to a new deal. 

How many pro cameras do you recall? What was their positioning? It's possible The Black Crowes were keeping their options open for a live dvd release to coincide with the live cd, or in the event they didn't get signed to a record deal. However, they get signed to a new deal. 

The exact number I don't recall, but there were more than a couple, which led us to believe they were shooting the show for an upcoming dvd. The cameramen were positioned in various spots, one behind the drummer, one of to the side by Jimmy on the floor, One in from of Chris on the floor, as well as a couple others. I would think that if the Crowes owned the rights to this, that it would have been released by now, as it has been approx. 15 years.

Perhaps they didn't like how it came out, hard to believe, it was an amazing show. Perhaps Jimmy owns the rights & doesn't want it released, I guess we'll never know. I would think that they probably shot footage at other venues as well, of the dates that were actually played.