The Firm Thread

Hello and welcome notfadeaway!

Enjoyed the read. I would love to see the interview with Robert. Thank you for sharing:peace:

Thanks for sharing this with us.  I had heard of Tony Franklin over the years, but I didn't realize he is younger than I am.  Working with legends like Page and Rogers at such a young age!  

• 2 weeks later...
On December 26, 2015 at 1:27 PM, notfadeaway said:

Here's an interview I did with Tony Franklin recently:  http://tinyurl.com/zad643f

I also interviewed Plant back in the 80's, if anyone is interested, I'll publish it.

www.bsidenews.net 

Great interview. Thanks for sharing. I always thought Franklin was an incredible bass player and really made the Firm sound. 

• 1 month later...

Ordered off ebay a 7 inch Firm vinyl picture disc (of "The Firm" logo) that I always wanted, it has "Radioactive" on one side and I think "Tear Down The Walls" on the other. Always loved that logo...also ordered a double clear vinyl set  called "Class Of '85"  that is from their concert at the LA Forum I think the date is 3/14/85. Extremely happy to be getting that...nothing like colored vinyl boots, they are exciting to play...

You can probably get anything you want on ebay, but you just have to know where to look, surely someone on our board can direct me to an ebay seller that has one of these specifically, it's from the amazing kornyfone label I believe...please pm me or if it's ok to do please post a link and a huge thanks in advance to you!! Really want one of these bad. :banana:

Jimmy_Page_-_Lucifer_Rising.thumb.jpg.7f

Edited by luvlz2

Never liked that group. "Cadillac" is a great druggy sounding 1980s song, but that's about all I can tolerate. 

I was listening to "Someone to Love" recently, and it sounds more like a Tony Franklin showpiece than anything. His fretless bass overpowered that track to the point of taking over. It sounds like it was attacking him and he was fighting with it LOL.

Page should have put more into that band but didn't. Those records appear to me to sound like incomplete projects that were meant to be more than that.

Edited by mrledhed

10 hours ago, mrledhed said:

Never liked that group. "Cadillac" is a great druggy sounding 1980s song, but that's about all I can tolerate. 

I was listening to "Someone to Love" recently, and it sounds more like a Tony Franklin showpiece than anything. His fretless bass overpowered that track to the point of taking over. It sounds like it was attacking him and he was fighting with it LOL.

Page should have put more into that band but didn't. Those records appear to me to sound like incomplete projects that were meant to be more than that.

The problem was that after Zep - who were the gold standard of rock - everything else Page did in the genre was never going to live up to the past. That's why he should have gone sideways and done more soundtrack work or something avant garde. DW 2 showed he was adapt at eerie soundscapes and in my opinion is some of his best post-Zep material. Plant went sideways for most of the '80s and so did Jones. Initially, it was the only way to go.  Even Plant said he like dw 2 soundtrack but wasnt keen on the AOR Firm. Cadillac was cool because it wasn't a conventional rock song.

I remember when DW2 came out, I wasn't expecting it, and boom - new Jimmy Page music!   Agree with you Flares, the eerie songs suited Page and his persona perfectly.  And the slightly rock-ish songs "City Sirens", "Who's to Blame", really are better than just about anything the Firm did.  As I read one reviewer somewhere writing about Mean Business "it is hard to imaging anyone having fun playing these songs". 

On 3/6/2016 at 5:23 AM, Flares said:

The problem was that after Zep - who were the gold standard of rock - everything else Page did in the genre was never going to live up to the past.

To me that was the same issue with Plant's solo stuff, most of it sounded like watered down Zep, just my opinion.

The Firm was untapped potential, plain & simple.

Yeah, I saw that April 29 show, the band certainly made an effort, but as some others have said, this band didn't quite

jell live or in the studio. On the first album some of the riffs are actually from Rodgers, I was always amazed, where are

some of those generic riffs coming from ?? Certainly there were some great shows from Page, and Rogers never sounded

below good, but Jimmy was still regaining his chops(and partial sobriety). But each to their own, if you got much joy out

of it, great. Many we're glad just to have Jimmy back. And yes, he should have instead gone into more soundtracks, and

wizard projects, laying the straighter rock aside for awhile.

• 3 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2014 at 2:42 AM, SteveAJones said:

Actually, I don't think the December 8, 1984 Hammersmith Odeon concert was ever released in it's entirety for radio. I could be mistaken on that but as I recall the only concert recording that was ever released to radio was the May 11, 1986 Richfield Coliseum concert (which was recorded for Westwood One's 'Superstars In Concert' program). However, two live tracks from Hammersmith - 'City Sirens' and 'Live In Peace' - were used as b-sides for singles.

You'll never see an official dvd release of The Firm Live at Hammersmith Odeon because there's essentially no popular demand for it. Aside from that MTV Europe (or whomever owns MTV Europe's archives now) owns the release rights, not the band. The band could approve or deny a dvd release but they don't own the rights to release it themselves.

I do agree it's a shame that MTV and other networks don't make their archives available to the public. I for one would certainly be willing to support a pay per view or pay per download business model.

Yes, you are absolutely right(2 years later -lol):

Superstars Rock Concert Series

Westwood One

Great idea with marketing this material!

Edited by riffsofpage

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have been scouring the internet for this for a while now and it just finally popped back up on ebay so I got it! Can't wait to play side two, I think it was a private performance for the Prince's Trust Benefit, the sound of it is awesome and I can't wait to spin it! :D

On 2/23/2016 at 7:35 PM, luvlz2 said:

Jimmy_Page_-_Lucifer_Rising.thumb.jpg.7f76fa86684b9fe8a909f411d47c5cff.jpg

• 1 month later...

This may or may not have been posted in this topic, regardless if it has been, this is one Fucking Hell of a Firm Gig that was, thankfully recorded professionally for posterity.  I saw the Firm twice.  Once in 1985 and then in 1986.  Actually, I could be wrong on the years but I know that I have seen the Firm twice in two different years and when promoting two different albums. 

1 hour ago, kingzoso said:

This may or may not have been posted in this topic, regardless if it has been, this is one Fucking Hell of a Firm Gig that was, thankfully recorded professionally for posterity.  I saw the Firm twice.  Once in 1985 and then in 1986.  Actually, I could be wrong on the years but I know that I have seen the Firm twice in two different years and when promoting two different albums. 

This was The Firm's first London gig, and they played another at the same venue the next night. Ahmet Ertegun is in the dressing room the band is shown exiting as they make their way to the stage. Ahmet mentioned to Jimmy that Eric Clapton had expressed a favorable opinion of the group, which Jimmy was genuinely pleased to hear. 

Roy Harper and David Gilmour attended both shows as guests of Jimmy's.

Edited by SteveAJones

On 7/3/2016 at 11:52 PM, riffsofpage said:

I must be the only one who thinks "Live in Peace" is nearly as great as "Stairway to heaven"

not at all

originally on the Cut Loose album ====> Live in Peace 1983  [if you can abide the cilck track drum work btw he played all the instruments]  It holds up ok.
Mendelsohn's work on the LP is like a textbook and frames the vocals- kinda the point-  precisely.

Live in Peace is my personal favorite from the band. So much care and emphasis had gone into "don't sound like Bad Company" or "LZ" we have to sound like our own unit.  =====> solo begins 42:42

55:30 laser/bow worth a watch & listen

Commercial music was such a mud puddle then and no one was certain what would take off and Mean Business owes some of it's patchwork to that.

Next favorite from the band is:
Money Can't Buy- Live
  [1:55 track begins]

On 7/14/2016 at 9:00 PM, luvlz2 said:

I think it was a private performance for the Prince's Trust Benefit,

I found out it's actually from the night before at the Royal Albert Hall for the ARMS Concert, not the Prince's Trust Benefit.

Edited by luvlz2