The Firm Thread

22 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

This was The Firm's first London gig, and they played another at the same venue the next night. Ahmet Ertegun is in the dressing room the band is shown exiting as they make their way to the stage. Ahmet mentioned to Jimmy that Eric Clapton had expressed a favorable opinion of the group, which Jimmy was genuinely pleased to hear. 

Roy Harper and David Gilmour attended both shows as guests of Jimmy's.

Trust Clapton, who never had a good word to say about Zeppelin, to like The Firm: Page's most boring and stodgy project, post-Zep. Although, Page's playing was great in this live show and I love Cadillac.

Sums up Clapton really: a fantastic blues player, but someone who has not taken any musical chances since Cream.

On 9/2/2016 at 4:07 AM, SteveAJones said:

This was The Firm's first London gig, and they played another at the same venue the next night. Ahmet Ertegun is in the dressing room the band is shown exiting as they make their way to the stage. Ahmet mentioned to Jimmy that Eric Clapton had expressed a favorable opinion of the group, which Jimmy was genuinely pleased to hear. 

Roy Harper and David Gilmour attended both shows as guests of Jimmy's.

Chris Slade had also recently toured with David Gilmour for his About Face tour. 

6 hours ago, the chase said:

Chris Slade had also recently toured with David Gilmour for his About Face tour. 

Yes, that's right. I don't have my notes with me at the moment, but if I recall correctly Jimmy had gone to one of David's shows earlier in the year and that's how Chris Slade came into the picture to become the drummer for The Firm.

Edited by SteveAJones

From a Chris Slade interview from musicradar July 2014:

chrisslade169-970-80.jpg

You played with Jimmy Page alongside Paul Rodgers and Tony Franklin, of course, in The Firm. How did that happen?

"I got a phone call one morning: 'Hello, it's David Gilmour here.' I said, 'C'mon Fred, stop messing about, I know it's you.' The voice on the other end said, 'No, it really is David Gilmour.'

"I looked at the phone incredulously. He was putting a band together and wanted me to play drums. I said, 'Wow, Let me think for a mi... Yes!' But I told him I was already involved with Mick Ralphs and his band and he said, 'Oh that's okay, Mick's doing this as well.'

"That was that, I said I'd be there. I said to my missus we were going to the pub. We came back a few hours later and the phone rang, 'Hello, this is Jimmy Page.' I said, 'Fred, I really know it's you this time!' But it really was Jimmy Page and he said he was putting a band together with Paul Rodgers and they wanted me to play drums. I told him, 'Jim, you won't believe this but three hours ago David Gilmour asked me to do a tour and it's at least three months.'

"There was a dead silence and then he said, 'That's okay, we'll wait for you.' I couldn't believe it. In the end Page and Rodgers waited for nine months for me. I'd call from the States telling him they'd added another two months to the tour, I knew I was the luckiest man in the world there. I was the first permanent drummer Jimmy had used after John Bonham, I'm very proud of that."

http://www.musicradar.com/news/drums/chris-slade-on-ac-dc-tom-jones-jimmy-page-gary-numan-and-more-603830

Edited by luvlz2

On 9/4/2016 at 6:41 AM, SteveAJones said:

Yes, that's right. I don't have my notes with me at the moment, but if I recall correctly Jimmy had gone to one of David's shows earlier in the year and that's how Chris Slade came into the picture to become the drummer for The Firm.

Double-checked my notes after having read Chris Slade's recollection of Jimmy first calling him around January 1984 (when Jimmy had begun what were essentially four months of loose jams and studio rehearsals with various musicians). Jimmy attended the final night of Gilmour's three show stint at the Hammersmith Odeon on April 30, 1984. Apparently that show was professionally recorded for a video release.

12 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Jimmy attended the final night of Gilmour's three show stint at the Hammersmith Odeon on April 30, 1984. Apparently that show was professionally recorded for a video release.

I recall a Gilmour concert on TV I recorded on VHS back in high school. That must be the one. It would've definitely been before 85-86 or so. 

• 1 month later...

I was chatting with Tony Franklin on Facebook, and I learned some interesting things.

1.  The song "Full Circle" which can be found on the Hammersmith 84 show, was never recorded in the studio.

2.  On the track Dreaming, Tony played the rhythm guitar tracks, and he said Jimmy did that solo in one take.

8 hours ago, bluecongo said:

I was chatting with Tony Franklin on Facebook, and I learned some interesting things.

1.  The song "Full Circle" which can be found on the Hammersmith 84 show, was never recorded in the studio.

2.  On the track Dreaming, Tony played the rhythm guitar tracks, and he said Jimmy did that solo in one take.

That really is an amazing solo, one of my favorites.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...