The Firm Thread

I've finished up converting the audience recording of the Purdue show to CD. There were a number of mishaps, such as my wife unplugging the digital recorder I was using to capture the audio while it was running, so she could use the vacuum cleaner! Then the next try I had the volume too high and it distorted. But I got it on the third try, such as it is. The audio is pretty rough, and the audience is going nuts most of the time and drowning out the music. I applied a little bit of EQ, but there was only so much that could be done.

The set list:

The Firm

Purdue University, W. Lafayette, Indiana 4/29/86

1. Fortune Hunter

2. Closer

3. Someone to Love

4. Make or Break

5. Prelude/Money Can't Buy

6. Satisfaction Guaranteed

7. Drum Solo

8. Radioactive

9. Live in Peace

10. All the King's Horses

11. Bass and Guitar Solo

12. Cadillac

13. Midnight Moonlight

14. You've Lost that Lovin' Feeling

15. Spirit of Love

16. I Just Wanna Make Love to You

17. Somebody to Love

I read earlier in this thread that the guitar solo was incorporated into The Chase from the Deathwish 2 soundtrack, but it's been a long time since I've heard that album and I wouldn't recognize that tune.

Loved your explanation of a few mishaps...but somebody has to vacuum :lol:

Looks like you have put together a great CD. Great list.

• 2 weeks later...

I've finished up converting the audience recording of the Purdue show to CD. There were a number of mishaps, such as my wife unplugging the digital recorder I was using to capture the audio while it was running, so she could use the vacuum cleaner! Then the next try I had the volume too high and it distorted. But I got it on the third try, such as it is. The audio is pretty rough, and the audience is going nuts most of the time and drowning out the music. I applied a little bit of EQ, but there was only so much that could be done.

I read earlier in this thread that the guitar solo was incorporated into The Chase from the Deathwish 2 soundtrack, but it's been a long time since I've heard that album and I wouldn't recognize that tune.

I received my copy of this recording last week and finally had an opportunity to play it all the way through. I'd like to post my notes here as there are some setlist corrections, etc:

The Firm, West Lafayette, IN USA Purdue University - Elliott Hall of Music April 29th 1986

Fortune Hunter (5:33)

Closer (3:36)

Someone To Love (5:02)

Make Or Break (6:13)

Prelude/Money Can't Buy (6:59)

Satisfaction Guaranteed (4:10)

drum solo (3:14)

Live In Peace (5:06)

Radioactive (4:06)

All The Kings Horses (3:33)

bass solo/The Chase/violin bow solo (14:10)

Cadillac (7:05)

Midnight Moonlight (11:14)

You've Lost That Loving Feeling (5:26)

Tear Down The Walls (5:00)

-----------Encores------------

Spirit Of Love (8:28)

I Just Wanna Make Love to You (7:06)

-----------------------------------

Everybody Needs Somebody To Love (4:48)

Notes:

This audience recording runs 150 mins 49 secs. I rate the audio quality a 7, the performance a 9.

There are four momentary tape cuts that do not detract from the overall enjoyment of the recording: one during the intro music over the PA, one during 'Live In Peace' (just prior to the solo), one during Jimmy's theremin solo, and one prior to 'Spirit of Love'.

Paul says "...great to see ya!...during the wild applause following 'Closer'

Jimmy does the band introductions prior to Prelude, which he describes as "...a classical number...". He describes 'Midnight Moonlight' as "...the first number that Paul and I ever wrote together...'Bird on a Wing'...'Midnight Moonlight'

To my ears and imagination, it sounds as if 'Spirit of Love' and 'I Just Wanna Make Love to You' were the first encore and 'Everybody Needs Somebody to Love' was a second encore. They typically did two encores on this tour, but it's possible 'Tear Down The Walls' was also part of the first encore as it isn't performed at all two shows later in Detroit (May 2nd) (unless the video recording for that concert is actually incomplete)

Edited by SteveAJones

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Cool! Just caught Les Paul in the video -neat!! It would really nice to see jimmy jam with paul again.

Uh... not really. As Les Paul passed away 12 August 2009 the only way he and Jimmy could jam again would be on the proverbial stairway... I'd prefer Jimmy hang with us down here awhile longer...

The Firm "The Morning After" London, England 12/09/84

Does anybody have any video of this??...Memories to share??

I don't have any video, though I do have a tape of The Firm in the studio working on this and other tracks. I saw The Firm twice, 14 May 1986 and 2 March 1985. The 1985 show was their second US show, I think Dallas was first, but could be wrong. I also believe they played this at the '85 show. The 1985 show was in Wichita, the 1986 show was in Kansas City.

The Firm London, England 12/09/84

Have never seen any video from this concert in circulation. MTV filmed their concert at the same venue the previous night, and it originally aired on Feb 23, 1985 as The Firm Live at Hammersmith Odeon. It was only 32 mins 30 secs

of interview and performance highlights. I have the complete (unreleased) MTV video footage. It runs about two hrs

and begins in the dressing with Ahmet Ertegun in a discussion with Jimmy. Ahmet mentions Eric Clapton expressed a favorable opinion, to which Jimmy seems genuinely pleased. Jimmy also explains to the camermen how he moves

about on stage and cautions them to stay clear. Roy Harper and David Gilmour attended both shows as guests of Jimmy's.

I think Dallas was first, but could be wrong.

You are correct (2/28/85). The Firm had held tour rehearsals in Irving, TX at the Dallas Communications Complex - Studios at Las Colinas on 2/26-27/85.

Robert held rehearsals at the same complex in April 1988 prior to the start of his North American tour.

I don't have any video, though I do have a tape of The Firm in the studio working on this and other tracks. I saw The Firm twice, 14 May 1986 and 2 March 1985. The 1985 show was their second US show, I think Dallas was first, but could be wrong. I also believe they played this at the '85 show. The 1985 show was in Wichita, the 1986 show was in Kansas City.

I would love to see some video of the 3/2/85 Wichita show since I attended it but haven't stumbled onto any.

I would love to see some video of the 3/2/85 Wichita show since I attended it but haven't stumbled onto any.

Unfortunately there's none in circulation. I think I have a photo. The Wichita Eagle Beacon published a feature titled Firm's Resume Is Impressive on March 1, 1985. I'm still seeking a copy of that article.

Unfortunately there's none in circulation. I think I have a photo. The Wichita Eagle Beacon published a feature titled Firm's Resume Is Impressive on March 1, 1985. I'm still seeking a copy of that article.

Was the photo from the concert, do you know? The show was on 2 March, so if a photo was w/ the 1 March article it couldn't have been the Wichita show. I'm sure they wrote a review which was probably in Monday's paper, the 4th of March. Show was Saturday. I drove there w/ some friends and we were on the highway after the show and I never did see a review.

The Firm "The Morning After" London, England 12/09/84

If I didn't mention already, The Morning After, Boogie Mama and Live in Peace were originally released in October 1983 on Paul Rodger's Cut Loose album, later covered by The Firm on record and in concert. It happens to be a fav of mine.

"Morning After" is on a whole Firm DVD with the whole concert, plus rare bonus Firm stuff called Joining Forces. Jimmy even introduces the song. I was able to find the DVD at ioffer. (It is also where my aviatar is from. The whole 1986 interview is one of the bonuses).

Edited by aen27

"Morning After" is on a whole Firm DVD with the whole concert, plus rare bonus Firm stuff called Joining Forces. Jimmy even introduces the song. I was able to find the DVD at ioffer. (It is also where my aviatar is from. The whole 1986 interview is one of the bonuses).

THANK YOU!!

I just ordered it! I have been looking for this for some time!