Zep and the Beatles

Hey, I'm new here and as my first post, I'd like to ask: do any of the members of Led Zeppelin other than Jimmy like the Beatles(if you don't believe me look at the picture of him with J.J. Jackson in the 1972-1973 photo gallery: he's definitely wearing a Beatles button!)? This is no big deal; I'm just curious because I love both groups! Thanks, Jo :)

Hey, I'm new here and as my first post, I'd like to ask: do any of the members of Led Zeppelin other than Jimmy like the Beatles(if you don't believe me look at the picture of him with J.J. Jackson in the 1972-1973 photo gallery: he's definitely wearing a Beatles button!)? This is no big deal; I'm just curious because I love both groups! Thanks, Jo :)

How's it going "pagemccartney95?" Welcome to the forum! THE BEATLES are my all-time favorite band in the whole wide world with LED ZEPPELIN coming in a very close second. THE ROLLING STONES are coming in a very close third. There is nothing wrong with having LED ZEPPELIN a very close second to THE BEATLES. THE BEATLES are the greatest band that ever lived and are a very hard act to top. ROCK ON!

How's it going "pagemccartney95?" Welcome to the forum! THE BEATLES are my all-time favorite band in the whole wide world with LED ZEPPELIN coming in a very close second. THE ROLLING STONES are coming in a very close third. There is nothing wrong with having LED ZEPPELIN a very close second to THE BEATLES. THE BEATLES are the greatest band that ever lived and are a very hard act to top. ROCK ON!

G'day ZFF,

We'll have to agree to disagree and I certainly wouldn't go onto The Beatles forum and say they were the second best best band to Zeppelin even though it's true! ;)

Led Zeppelin are the greatest Rock Band and The Beatles are the best Pop Band ever. :o

As for the original question it is conceivable that being musicians they would appreciate what The Beatles brought to the world.

Jimmy has played on Beatles covers with Joe Cocker for example.

They were certainly Julian Lennon's favorite band and I think he introduced "Stairway" to John. John already thought highly of Jimmy as guitarist. See Ritchie Yorke's book. And George and Pattie were at Bonzo's famous birthday party.

Robert has played onstage with two Beatles - Paul and George (not at the same time). Jonesy and Bonzo also played with Paul.

Paul attended the 02 Ahmet tribute.

Was the Paul show The Concert for Kampuchea? What was the George show?

Yes, and the concert for people of Kampucha.

And the show with George (and with Denny Laine and a lot of other people)

Here

Thanks Glicine!!! I forgot about that one - I remember seeing it on MTV and being surprised to see Robert with a guitar. I missed their introduction of what the video was from and it wasn't until someone posted it on the old board (I think it was Knebby) that I saw it again :D

They were certainly Julian Lennon's favorite band and I think he introduced "Stairway" to John. John already thought highly of Jimmy as guitarist. See Ritchie Yorke's book. And George and Pattie were at Bonzo's famous birthday party.

I knew I liked Julian! :D Jo

G'day ZFF,

We'll have to agree to disagree and I certainly wouldn't go onto The Beatles forum and say they were the second best best band to Zeppelin even though it's true! ;)

Led Zeppelin are the greatest Rock Band and The Beatles are the best Pop Band ever. :o

As for the original question it is conceivable that being musicians they would appreciate what The Beatles brought to the world.

Jimmy has played on Beatles covers with Joe Cocker for example.

How's it going "Reggie29?" The reason why I call THE BEATLES THE GREATEST overall is because to add to what you've said earlier, had it not been for THE BEATLES, the doors would not have been opened for British acts to come to America and take the country over musically by storm. While THE BEATLES are the greatest Pop Rock band ever, THE BEATLES can also be called the GREATEST Rock n' Roll band ever! I'm sure that you have heard songs such as "Revolution," "Helter Skelter," "Everybody's Got Something To hide Except For Me And My Monkey," "Paperback Writer" and "Birthday" to name a few. THE BEATLES changed Rock n' Roll forever twice in their career, once in 1963 and the other in 1967. Just when everyone thought that no one could record any of THE BEATLES songs and immortalize them, JOE COCKER does the impossible with "A little Help From My Friends" in 1969. GREAT SONG! Jimmy did add some great guitar work on that song. ROCK ON!

How's it going "Reggie29?" The reason why I call THE BEATLES THE GREATEST overall is because to add to what you've said earlier, had it not been for THE BEATLES, the doors would not have been opened for British acts to come to America and take the country over musically by storm. While THE BEATLES are the greatest Pop Rock band ever, THE BEATLES can also be called the GREATEST Rock n' Roll band ever! I'm sure that you have heard songs such as "Revolution," "Helter Skelter," "Everybody's Got Something To hide Except For Me And My Monkey," "Paperback Writer" and "Birthday" to name a few. THE BEATLES changed Rock n' Roll forever twice in their career, once in 1963 and the other in 1967. Just when everyone thought that no one could record any of THE BEATLES songs and immortalize them, JOE COCKER does the impossible with "A little Help From My Friends" in 1969. GREAT SONG! Jimmy did add some great guitar work on that song. ROCK ON!

Thank you, ZFF! I love Led Zeppelin(obviously), but The Beatles are the Best Band Ever! Suppose they hadn't broken through in America. Led Zeppelin might not have either! Or, alternatively, they could've been the ones to start the "British Invasion", which would then make them the Best Band Ever! I'm just saying... :rolleyes: Jo

Thank you, ZFF! I love Led Zeppelin(obviously), but The Beatles are the Best Band Ever! Suppose they hadn't broken through in America. Led Zeppelin might not have either! Or, alternatively, they could've been the ones to start the "British Invasion", which would then make them the Best Band Ever! I'm just saying... :rolleyes: Jo

How's it going "pagemccartney95?" I know that it is risky saying that THE BEATLES are slightly better than LED ZEPPELIN on the LED ZEPPELIN forum but I am just telling it the way it is! I'll just sum it up this way in the same manner that you stated in the last post: THE BEATLES would lay down the foundation for ALL British bands that were soon to follow during and after THE BRITISH INVASION including bands such as LED ZEPPELIN, THE YARDBIRDS, PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC, CREAM, PINK FLOYD, THE WHO, THE KINKS, THE ROLLING STONES, DEEP PURPLE and BLACK SABBATH to name a few. While some or all of these bands were establishing themselves in popularity in England, THE BEATLES were laying down the ground work for all of them in America in 1964. After all, what band has established, accomplished and achieved more in 8 years than any group in music history? That's right, THE BEATLES! ROCK ON!

Achieving successs in America is, believe it or not , NOT the criteria for being the GREATEST BAND IN THE WORLD for the rest of the world.

How's it going "Knebby?" I hope all is well with you. You're right, achieving success in America may not meet any criteria for being "THE GREATEST BAND IN THE WORLD" but THE BEATLES' phenomenal achievements and accomplishments as well as being the FIRST major British act to ever succeed in America does! ROCK ON!

After all, what band has established, accomplished and achieved more in 8 years than any group in music history? That's right, LED ZEPPELIN! ROCK ON!

Hi All,

Just my twopennath, The Beatles did it first, Led Zeppelin did it better.

The Beatles were a four piece "POP" band in 1964, they relied on Millions of Screaming Girls to make them the sucess they were, they followed the Normal Rout to Stardom of the time, be Smart, Likeable, Popular and Attractive, the Music was a lowly 5th on the agenda. They played live for "Minutes" rather than "Hours".

Led Zeppelin were a four piece "Rock" band in 1969, they relied much on word of mouth for their fan base, not advertizing, everything was second to their Music, their was no compromise in their quest for excelence. They played for as long as the Venue or Police would allow. They broke Attendance and Box Office Records that the Beatles had set only a few years before.

Every member of Led Zeppelin had the Musical Abilities of 10 Beatles, Robert Plant was a far better singer/vocalist than any of the Beatles, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones would not be used in the same sentence as any Beatle when it comes to Musical Ability. Jonh Bonham v Ringo Star, now come on lets be serious here.

The only thing that the Beatles did better than Led Zeppelin was to sell "Single's" to Young Girls, and they win that award hands down, as for being "Better" "Greater" or "Musicaly more Creative", no chance.

There can never be any Rock Band that will eclipse what Led Zeppelin have achieved, you can never say that about a "Pop" band.

Regards, Danny

Hi All,

Just my twopennath, The Beatles did it first, Led Zeppelin did it better.

The Beatles were a four piece "POP" band in 1964, they relied on Millions of Screaming Girls to make them the sucess they were, they followed the Normal Rout to Stardom of the time, be Smart, Likeable, Popular and Attractive, the Music was a lowly 5th on the agenda. They played live for "Minutes" rather than "Hours".

Led Zeppelin were a four piece "Rock" band in 1969, they relied much on word of mouth for their fan base, not advertizing, everything was second to their Music, their was no compromise in their quest for excelence. They played for as long as the Venue or Police would allow. They broke Attendance and Box Office Records that the Beatles had set only a few years before.

Every member of Led Zeppelin had the Musical Abilities of 10 Beatles, Robert Plant was a far better singer/vocalist than any of the Beatles, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones would not be used in the same sentence as any Beatle when it comes to Musical Ability. Jonh Bonham v Ringo Star, now come on lets be serious here.

The only thing that the Beatles did better than Led Zeppelin was to sell "Single's" to Young Girls, and they win that award hands down, as for being "Better" "Greater" or "Musicaly more Creative", no chance.

There can never be any Rock Band that will eclipse what Led Zeppelin have achieved, you can never say that about a "Pop" band.

Regards, Danny

Hey "BIGDAN!" Welcome to the conversation! Thats really funny, because I'm speaking from an American point of view and you're speaking from a fellow British point of view. I can say that THE BEATLES were the greatest in America from an American standpoint while you can say that LED ZEPPELIN was the greatest from a British standpoint which is really unusual considering that the British never considered neither band very popular in their own homeland. I am glad that you consider LED ZEPPELIN the greatest of them all while I will still give the edge slightly to THE BEATLES. You are right, it is extremely extraordinary that ZEPPELIN relied strickly by word of mouth rather than popularity by TV apearances. Musicianwise, ZEPPELIN was more gifted than THE BEATLES but when the four BEATLES got together, they created pure magic! It took those four musicians with their rare talents and own special blend of quality to create a musical force that would last for 8 years (1962-1970) We are both entitled to our viewpoints "BIGDAN" and I do respect your opinions seeing that you are a fellow Britishman meaning that you must know something. After all, anyone such as yourself that loves PETER GREEN like "Swede" or I do, is definitely ok in my book! I guess that it is safe to say that the British bands are by far, better than the American bands! ROCK ON!

Hey "BIGDAN!" Welcome to the conversation! Thats really funny, because I'm speaking from an American point of view and you're speaking from a fellow British point of view. I can say that THE BEATLES were the greatest in America from an American standpoint while you can say that LED ZEPPELIN was the greatest from a British standpoint which is really unusual considering that the British never considered neither band very popular in their own homeland. I am glad that you consider LED ZEPPELIN the greatest of them all while I will still give the edge slightly to THE BEATLES. You are right, it is extremely extraordinary that ZEPPELIN relied strickly by word of mouth rather than popularity by TV apearances. Musicianwise, ZEPPELIN was more gifted than THE BEATLES but when the four BEATLES got together, they created pure magic! It took those four musicians with their rare talents and own special blend of quality to create a musical force that would last for 8 years (1962-1970) We are both entitled to our viewpoints "BIGDAN" and I do respect your opinions seeing that you are a fellow Britishman meaning that you must know something. After all, anyone such as yourself that loves PETER GREEN like "Swede" or I do, is definitely ok in my book! I guess that it is safe to say that the British bands are by far, better than the American bands! ROCK ON!

Hi ZFF,

Please dont insult me any more, you called me a "Britishman" when i'm an "Englishman" at the very least. :lol:

Man you are a great leveler, i could never think of you as an "American" you are a dear friend, same as Beatbo, so forget nationality for a moment. Americia made both the Beatles and Led Zeppelin, without the American Public neither band would be as big as they are today. So much for the British Public, they suck when it comes to good music, Boy and Girl bands are their Deity's.

As for "British Bands" being better than "American Bands" i'll say this "British Bands" are loved in Americia as "American Bands" are loved in Britain, what one lacks in talent the other more than makes up for in Volume.

If you use Volume as a yard stick then The Beatles are gonna win, if you go for Talent i would give it to Led Zeppelin.

I have many bands that i enjoy the music of, both English and American, i wouldnt say one is better that the other, both have their own qualities.

Look at the Blues, your own white music lovers shunned this music because of its black roots, yet when the English Blues Players brought you back their version and interpretation of the Blues you recieved them with open arms and joy, and a "Fistful of Dollars" and called them your own.

In the end its all down to personal taste, like Beatbo and Evster both said, i let my ears lead me, not any Colour, Nationality or Creed, my love is Music, weather it be,

Blue (Oyster Cult)

(Peter) Green

Pink (Floyd)

Black (Sabbath)

(Deep) Purple

Simply (Red) Fcuk Off, only joking, really.

White (Snake)

I love em all, but i put Led Zeppelin first, my personal choice, you have yours and i wouldnt change that for the world mate, because if everyone liked Led Zeppelin the best then you wouldnt be able to post on this site for love nor money.

Good Luck me ole mate, Very Kind Regards, Danny

PS. And dont forget to ROCK ON mate.

Hi ZFF,

Please dont insult me any more, you called me a "Britishman" when i'm an "Englishman" at the very least. :lol:

Man you are a great leveler, i could never think of you as an "American" you are a dear friend, same as Beatbo, so forget nationality for a moment. Americia made both the Beatles and Led Zeppelin, without the American Public neither band would be as big as they are today. So much for the British Public, they suck when it comes to good music, Boy and Girl bands are their Deity's.

As for "British Bands" being better than "American Bands" i'll say this "British Bands" are loved in Americia as "American Bands" are loved in Britain, what one lacks in talent the other more than makes up for in Volume.

If you use Volume as a yard stick then The Beatles are gonna win, if you go for Talent i would give it to Led Zeppelin.

I have many bands that i enjoy the music of, both English and American, i wouldnt say one is better that the other, both have their own qualities.

Look at the Blues, your own white music lovers shunned this music because of its black roots, yet when the English Blues Players brought you back their version and interpretation of the Blues you recieved them with open arms and joy, and a "Fistful of Dollars" and called them your own.

In the end its all down to personal taste, like Beatbo and Evster both said, i let my ears lead me, not any Colour, Nationality or Creed, my love is Music, weather it be,

Blue (Oyster Cult)

(Peter) Green

Pink (Floyd)

Black (Sabbath)

(Deep) Purple

Simply (Red) Fcuk Off, only joking, really.

White (Snake)

I love em all, but i put Led Zeppelin first, my personal choice, you have yours and i wouldnt change that for the world mate, because if everyone liked Led Zeppelin the best then you wouldnt be able to post on this site for love nor money.

Good Luck me ole mate, Very Kind Regards, Danny

PS. And dont forget to ROCK ON mate.

Ha Ha! "beatbo" told me about you but thats what I like about you "BIGDAN!" :hysterical: Ok Mr. ENGLISHMAN! How's that? I've never thought for a moment what I should be called whether it is a fellow American or a US native. You tend to speak with more common sense than most and that is rare my friend. By the way, did you enjoy all of the goodies that I sent you? PM me when you get a chance, I tried to PM you but your inbox was full! ROCK ON my friend!

Beatles and Zeppelin--two completely different kinds of bands, totally different styles and approach to music, only slightly overlapping eras, etc etc.

In other words, what's the point of comparing them? They were both terrific at what they did, when they did it. End of.

Beatles and Zeppelin--two completely different kinds of bands, totally different styles and approach to music, only slightly overlapping eras, etc etc.

In other words, what's the point of comparing them? They were both terrific at what they did, when they did it. End of.

How's it going "Aquamarine?" I hope all is well with you. You do have a point, both THE BEATLES and LED ZEPPELIN were two different bands with two different music styles. However, music critics have been doing this comparison long before any of us ever did and we're just some of the many few that have done this comparison. I guess that we were speaking on terms of popularity and as to who contributed more to Rock n' Roll than the other. It really doesn't matter though because both bands contributed so much during their time. In my opinion, what the writer of this thread was really asking was that does LED ZEPPELIN fans love THE BEATLES? ROCK ON!

It's all subjective anyways - some people feel the Beatles are the best whilst others will say Zep. No one's right or wrong. They both clearly made major contributions to music and their influence is still heard 40 years later in bands of today.

Ha Ha! "beatbo" told me about you but thats what I like about you "BIGDAN!" :hysterical: Ok Mr. ENGLISHMAN! How's that? I've never thought for a moment what I should be called whether it is a fellow American or a US native. You tend to speak with more common sense than most and that is rare my friend. By the way, did you enjoy all of the goodies that I sent you? PM me when you get a chance, I tried to PM you but your inbox was full! ROCK ON my friend!

Beatbo's a grass, keep away from him mate or you'll end up confused. :lol:

If you're asking, i would like to be called a "WELC" that what i am in specific terms, can you figure that one out?

" By the way, did you enjoy all of the goodies that I sent you? "

You are a one, is the Pope a Catholic? Do Arabs piss in the sand? Do Jews like a free dinner? i play Peter Green more than i do Zeppelin at the moment, you did good mate, and the other stuff brought me back to where i come from, fantastic, you would have loved Knebworth, both dates were brilliant, and the biggest Bog i've ever had the pleasure to "Dump" in. :lol:

I know that when Led Zeppelin were starting out they would use Beatles numbers when they had run out of thier own songs, like encores and suchlike, now thats a "Tribute" in its self mate, i've never heard of the Beatles covering Zepp stuff before, you?

Back in the early 80s i threw a few parties, the only difference with my parties was that every third record was Zeppelin and the others were Rock, a friends girlfriend asked me after acouple of hours, "have you got anything too dance too" i said "Yea" and put on "Trampled Underfoot" she didnt have a clue, priceless.

Kind Regards, Danny

Exactly - it's like comparing apples and oranges. They're both phenomenal bands. Though, naturally, I'm obviously going to be slightly biased.

For what it's worth, whoever said that the Beatles weren't appreciated in their homeland - not true. The Beatles were huge in the UK; the term 'Beatlemania' was originated and used here for a reason.

Exactly - it's like comparing apples and oranges. They're both phenomenal bands. Though, naturally, I'm obviously going to be slightly biased.

For what it's worth, whoever said that the Beatles weren't appreciated in their homeland - not true. The Beatles were huge in the UK; the term 'Beatlemania' was originated and used here for a reason.

I must have missed that! It couldn't be more wrong.

Huge indeed--the whole point was that after all the American singers like Elvis and lesser lights like Frankie Avalon (no offence Frankie), a band came along that was OURS, and not only that, they weren't a London Tin Pan Alley band, they were from the provinces and they were working class, in other words they were like most ordinary listeners, plus they wrote great songs. They were BEYOND huge. I remember a time when every night's news broadcast told us what the Beatles were doing that day, and every year there'd be a special segment on Christmas Day so we'd know where they were celebrating (and they'd always apparently gone on some trip together!).

Still don't see much point in comparing 'em to Zep, though. :D

Archived