Zep and the Beatles

I am a big fan of both bands, and yes, very much different, really. I think they had respect for eachother, in one of Robert Plant's interview he was asked "Stones or The Beatles" and he said Stones, which I can easily believe :-)

Well The Beatles started as pop and ended as pop, pretty much! Even with all the experimenting latter on, it was just adding a bit of texture to their sound and getting the lyrics a bit more poetic, especially Lennon's lyrics, but the framework was pop! They were really good at harmony singing, which is great for pop and their producer was really good, reaching the zenit in Eleanor Rigby and his own piano solo on In my life, as well as something like kaleidoscope of Lucy in the sky(always somehow reminded me of What is and what should never be musically, without having the slightest filling of theft!)

Zeppelin however were blues and rock based and they had everything! They explored all the genres for real, yet left their unmistakable mark on them! They were all total virtuosos and masters of arranging to the point, where it is a very vital part of songwriting, even including the drums! Stairway for example, should be credited to all four! Plant was (still is and still develops) a spectacular singer and he developed his melodies and lyrics greatly through time(especially the solo carrer) and in the Zep days he pretty much touched all the styles of writing, even touched social criticism! Stairway can match some of Dylan's less known, less good songs! Page was their producer, which again just shows how great the band was, as he was a part of it and yet he raised everything even higher with his knowledge of production!

Zeppelin had tons of musicality and depth and subtlety! Anyone who tries to deny, that they were also subtle and tries to say, they had no deep musical and lyrical content, simply read Rolling stone too much! And when they were epic, it was just great and the lyrics were appropriate! What's wrong with epic songs? There is tons of that in classical music and Robert knew just the right lyrics for things like Kashmir!

Fantastic band, one of the most complete, content and virtuosity based musical unions ever!!

I always thought of Zep and the Beatles as a kind of 'yin and yang'. The Beatles are perceived as very happy and upbeat, but could also be dark and acerbic, and Zep was obviously heavier and darker at times, but had plenty of upbeat, optimistic stuff as well. Also notice how the Beatles songs got longer, jammier, bluesier on the last few albums, kind of pointing towards FM Radio of the 70's. Kinda feels like they were 'passing the torch', greatest band of the 60's to the greatest band of the 70's.

In Chinese philosophy, yin and yang, which are often shortened to "yin-yang" or "yin yang", are concepts used to describe how apparently opposite or contrary forces are actually complementary,[Note 1] interconnected and interdependent in the natural world, and how they give rise to each other as they interrelate to one another.

Yin and yang can be thought of as complementary (rather than opposing) forces that interact to form a dynamic system in which the whole is greater than the assembled parts.

Well The Beatles started as pop and ended as pop, pretty much! Even with all the experimenting latter on, it was just adding a bit of texture to their sound and getting the lyrics a bit more poetic, especially Lennon's lyrics, but the framework was pop! They were really good at harmony singing, which is great for pop and their producer was really good, reaching the zenit in Eleanor Rigby and his own piano solo on In my life, as well as something like kaleidoscope of Lucy in the sky(always somehow reminded me of What is and what should never be musically, without having the slightest filling of theft!)

Zeppelin however were blues and rock based and they had everything! They explored all the genres for real, yet left their unmistakable mark on them! They were all total virtuosos and masters of arranging to the point, where it is a very vital part of songwriting, even including the drums! Stairway for example, should be credited to all four! Plant was (still is and still develops) a spectacular singer and he developed his melodies and lyrics greatly through time(especially the solo carrer) and in the Zep days he pretty much touched all the styles of writing, even touched social criticism! Stairway can match some of Dylan's less known, less good songs! Page was their producer, which again just shows how great the band was, as he was a part of it and yet he raised everything even higher with his knowledge of production!

Zeppelin had tons of musicality and depth and subtlety! Anyone who tries to deny, that they were also subtle and tries to say, they had no deep musical and lyrical content, simply read Rolling stone too much! And when they were epic, it was just great and the lyrics were appropriate! What's wrong with epic songs? There is tons of that in classical music and Robert knew just the right lyrics for things like Kashmir!

Fantastic band, one of the most complete, content and virtuosity based musical unions ever!!

Good post Matjaz! As much as I like the Beatles, Zep will always be #1 in my book. Although I think you may be underestimating Paul's bass playing skills, he was a beast!

The drums on Abbey road are really great, especially on Come together! There are speculations that was Paul, thought! But compared to Bozno, you know! ;)

Forgot to mention Ringo! Underrated drummer! (Sorry Ringo) But yea, just imagine a live 'Battle of the Bands' between the two bands, with all due respect to the Beatles, Zep would blow them off the stage.

Yeah, it's quite a good idea they stopped performing in '66! They were great songwriters, but even by '67, they would be blown offstage by many! Although every one has their own thing! Why be blown offstage just because you are different!?

Just meaning the live virtuosity/improvisation of Zep is unmatched, would blow anyone off stage. Just ask Iron Butterfly! ;)

Isn't it mysterious how the perception of what we feel through music , creates this fantasy in our minds that a particular group of musicians are far more than what they actually are .... and we come up with all of these thoughts in our mind , that convinces us of such.

I guess i may have a bit of this myself.

But to compare Zeppelin to the Beatles , my gosh .... really?

And then come to the conclusion while doing such a comparison that Zeppelin is somehow better .... is well , halirious. I understand it to be a Zep forum and all , but guys , well , keep having fun I guess.

Unfortunately for me I suppose , words like virtuosos , is the last thing to pop into my fantasy when thinking of this "fine" band .... Zeppelin blowing a band off the stage live , for me anyway is such a strange thought , I find them to be an "ok" live act at best , a little too sloppy and unorganized for my taste ... people round these parts call that improvising , I guess , maybe?

But , nothing is better than the thought process , of Zeppelin being somehow deserving of a conversation along side the Beatles , than the thought process that they are somehow the best band of the 70's ..... always very interesting to me , i can assure you of this , Zeppelin are far from the best band of the 70's.

Just my thoughts after dropping by this morning .... not meant to ruffle feathers , was just made to smile while reading , and decided to post a few words , and hey maybe I'm the one who is "lost" ..... probably not :)

Sathington Willoughby , great information you add to this thread , sincerely mean that.

Isn't it mysterious how the perception of what we feel through music , creates this fantasy in our minds that a particular group of musicians are far more than what they actually are .... and we come up with all of these thoughts in our mind , that convinces us of such.

I guess i may have a bit of this myself.

But to compare Zeppelin to the Beatles , my gosh .... really?

And then come to the conclusion while doing such a comparison that Zeppelin is somehow better .... is well , halirious. I understand it to be a Zep forum and all , but guys , well , keep having fun I guess.

Unfortunately for me I suppose , words like virtuosos , is the last thing to pop into my fantasy when thinking of this "fine" band .... Zeppelin blowing a band off the stage live , for me anyway is such a strange thought , I find them to be an "ok" live act at best , a little too sloppy and unorganized for my taste ... people round these parts call that improvising , I guess , maybe?

But , nothing is better than the thought process , of Zeppelin being somehow deserving of a conversation along side the Beatles , than the thought process that they are somehow the best band of the 70's ..... always very interesting to me , i can assure you of this , Zeppelin are far from the best band of the 70's.

Just my thoughts after dropping by this morning .... not meant to ruffle feathers , was just made to smile while reading , and decided to post a few words , and hey maybe I'm the one who is "lost" ..... probably not :)

Sathington Willoughby , great information you add to this thread , sincerely mean that.

Wow, another post that says nothing!

Execpt that a guy, who is certain Sabbath are te best, without explaining why, is trying to tell to people who think Zep are the best(to them) and have good arguments, that they are not allowed to say they are the best, not allowed to compare them to the Beatles and that they are so many other better bands, but can't tell which ones or why!

Not allowed might be the wrong word, but that is exactly what you are doing, because you don't explain, why somebody is not allowed to say, which is his favourite band and why it is wrong to compare bands!? And at the same time you do exactly that!

Art is not that subjective and relative and you are constantly trying to proove that yourself, anyway! But we are all just telling our opinions, but you are trying to tell us we are wrong and that we shouldn't even do this, but can't tell why!

Wow, another post that says nothing!

Execpt that a guy, who is certain Sabbath are te best, without explaining why, is trying to tell to people who think Zep are the best(to them) and have good arguments, that they are not allowed to say they are the best, not allowed to compare them to the Beatles and that they are so many other better bands, but can't tell which ones or why!

Not allowed might be the wrong word, but that is exactly what you are doing, because you don't explain, why somebody is not allowed to say, which is his favourite band and why it is wrong to compare bands!? And at the same time you do exactly that!

Art is not that subjective and relative and you are constantly trying to proove that yourself, anyway! But we are all just telling our opinions, but you are trying to tell us we are wrong and that we shouldn't even do this, but can't tell why!

Why has been told to you personally by me countless times about a month ago , no harm in not understanding that .... i even point to why in my above post , but again no harm there.

I've yet to bring up Sabbath in ANY discussion , it is always bought by someone else , even you in fact .... Again no harm there.

Please keep enjoying Zeppelin , I most certainly do , I just know where they fall in the grand scene of things ..... and hey , maybe I'm wrong , and your correct .... no harm there either , just the way I CLEARLY hear it , is all.

Sathington Willoughby , np at all ... it's true brother! ... great info and posting.

Beatles means a lot to me. A lot. Perhaps my first memories of hearing music are linked with them. I learned English because I wanted to know what they were singing about. (Trying to translate I Am The Walrus at the age of 10...) I admire their influence and importance, their timing was of course excellent and with the help of the 5th Beatle, George Martin, they experimented and created such innovative ways of producing new music that has aged extremely well. Generation after generation has found them. I admire the easiness of writing such lovely songs and how together they were more than separately. When I was a kid I also loved Paul's beauty, as a teenager I admired Lennon's wit, but when I finally grew up I knew that my favorite is George Harrison. Here Comes The Sun.

My favorite albums are Revolver and Abbey Road.

Beatles means a lot to me. A lot. Perhaps my first memories of hearing music are linked with them. I learned English because I wanted to know what they were singing about. (Trying to translate I Am The Walrus at the age of 10...) I admire their influence and importance, their timing was of course excellent and with the help of the 5th Beatle, George Martin, they experimented and created such innovative ways of producing new music that has aged extremely well. Generation after generation has found them. I admire the easiness of writing such lovely songs and how together they were more than separately. When I was a kid I also loved Paul's beauty, as a teenager I admired Lennon's wit, but when I finally grew up I knew that my favorite is George Harrison. Here Comes The Sun.

My favorite albums are Revolver and Abbey Road.

(Trying to translate I Am The Walrus at the age of 10...) That must have been pretty confusing! :lol:

My favorites are Rubber Soul and Abbey Road. ;) Cheers! :toast:

Archived