Zep and the Beatles

I only recently discovered 'Let It Be Naked' produced by Paul Hicks, Guy Massey and Allan Rouse.

I like it a lot more than the original Phil Spector Let It Be.

I need to give that another proper listen. I think I downloaded it a few years ago when I first got into the Beatles, didn't really appreciate the differences yet I don't think.

I need to give that another proper listen. I think I downloaded it a few years ago when I first got into the Beatles, didn't really appreciate the differences yet I don't think.

Yeah, I think you might on a few listens. Mosly little things. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Morgan - great posts here & elsewhere. That Who thread is dangerous territory!

As for the other thread within this thread, I have no trouble loving both. Both are 1 in a million combinations of talented musicians, composers, performers & that other vital element, gifted producers.

Zep are unmatched live but I am sure there were some unforgettable performances in Hamburg & Liverpool in the Beatles' wild early days.

Favourite Beatles tracks include Get Back (such cool, throbbing Rock with McCartney using his 'foggy' voice & Ringo driving it all) & Money (great Lennon vocal & George Martin piano boogie). Heard Zep do a live cover of this as well. Interesting to compare - both good, just different.

Hey Morgan - great posts here & elsewhere. That Who thread is dangerous territory!

As for the other thread within this thread, I have no trouble loving both. Both are 1 in a million combinations of talented musicians, composers, performers & that other vital element, gifted producers.

Zep are unmatched live but I am sure there were some unforgettable performances in Hamburg & Liverpool in the Beatles' wild early days.

Favourite Beatles tracks include Get Back (such cool, throbbing Rock with McCartney using his 'foggy' voice & Ringo driving it all) & Money (great Lennon vocal & George Martin piano boogie). Heard Zep do a live cover of this as well. Interesting to compare - both good, just different.

Thanks Claire! :toast:

Funny to think most Beatle concerts were around 30 minutes, some live Zep songs were longer than that lol. (D&C, No Quarter, Moby Dick, etc.)

Thanks Claire! :toast:

Funny to think most Beatle concerts were around 30 minutes, some live Zep songs were longer than that lol. (D&C, No Quarter, Moby Dick, etc.)

Aaah, that's so great to have all 3 versions - thanks for those! Jagger has a great rock voice too. Is a really good song to go a little crazy to - makes me jump all over the place.

And, yes, it is amazing to think how short Beatle shows were - Zeppelin set their own rules about pretty much everything, didn't they?

What astounds me is that Jimmy, Macca & George were all born within about 18 months of eachother & yet Jimmy had the vision to take Zeppelin so far from 60s pop.

Aaah, that's so great to have all 3 versions - thanks for those! Jagger has a great rock voice too. Is a really good song to go a little crazy to - makes me jump all over the place.

And, yes, it is amazing to think how short Beatle shows were - Zeppelin set their own rules about pretty much everything, didn't they?

What astounds me is that Jimmy, Macca & George were all born within about 18 months of eachother & yet Jimmy had the vision to take Zeppelin so far from 60s pop.

Yup. They all came up playing skiffle as well!

Just in case anyone here hasn't seen this yet: :bubble:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0tAOIQiz-8

These are so good. All that boyish enthusiasm! Similar influences alright. But Jimmy really strongly blues influenced as well - London scene vs Liverpool scene? Macca always expressed his father's musical influences as well.

There's magic in the Lennon McCartney combination - in their voices, in tempering eachother's extremes & inspiring creativity. Similarly for Jimmy & Robert.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived