Zep and the Beatles

agreed on Bonham and Jones. In my opinion only second to Moon/Entwhistle as the best rhythm section in music.

in this thread: different strokes for different folks

Agreed on different strokes. No argument from me. It's all healthy, friendly discussion. :beer:

But as someone who's played guitar for over 30 years, and grew up on both The Beatles and Zeppelin, I cannot understate Page's craftsmanship. Something like Rain Song or Bron-Yr-Aur are perfect musical statements. Totally unique to Page, and first rate composing.

Not a musician in the least...but as a fan of both bands....they move ya differently...The Beatles make me sing along to the songs...and for what it's worth when I put on CD's at work ...people I work with...That being said...Zeppelin always had THAT sound...it filled the room...no matter where you were...and it was Jimmy that had that sound in his head and saw it got on to tape.....timeless...it's a moot point...both shaped their respective fields...horses for courses...but I know what moves me more...

Not a musician in the least...but as a fan of both bands....they move ya differently...The Beatles make me sing along to the songs...and for what it's worth when I put on CD's at work ...people I work with...That being said...Zeppelin always had THAT sound...it filled the room...no matter where you were...and it was Jimmy that had that sound in his head and saw it got on to tape.....timeless...it's a moot point...both shaped their respective fields...horses for courses...but I know what moves me more...

In the finished article, the only thing that is important is whether it moves you or not. There is nothing else that is important at all.

Roger Waters

Those were the best!...joking...I'd have to be drunk to post period.....oh wait I am...lol...All kidding aside...there are 2 types of Zep fans here...those that know the details inside and out about the band ....and those that know music...you combine both...and for that...Hats Off...

The majority of Led Zeppelin songs are a bout sex, just as the majority of Beatles songs are about love. Exceptions on both sides, sure, but tomato/tomahto.

If you think he is wrong, then obviously you haven't really looked into the lyrics or about Zeppelin. Their overall theme as a band is Sex. And they show it through their music and their stage performance and outfits.

If you think he is wrong, then obviously you haven't really looked into the lyrics or about Zeppelin. Their overall theme as a band is Sex. And they show it through their music and their stage performance and outfits.

I'll take that under advisement. Obviously I've missed the boat for all these years. Clearly Jimmy's dragons, poppys and the astrological signs embroidered on his outfits are blatant sexual charms. And Jones' onion ball outfit. Guaranteed to get him shagged. And Bonham's boiler suit: Hey babe, can I sweep yer chimney?

I never denied the sexual element (who could). I just find it one-dimensional and banal. If that's all you see, I put it to you that you are in fact the one who needs to look deeper, cause if all you see is sex, you're missing a huge piece of the picture.

And anyone who thinks The Beatles songs weren't about sex is delusional. The sex vs love line is so blurred it's a dot.

Peace. :beer:

There's something to be said in the phrase,

Sex, Drugs and RocknRoll.

It's not hard to see what's first.

And the phrase didn't start with Zeppelin. ;)

We boogied in the kitchen

We boogied in the hall

I got some on my finger

So I wiped it on the wall

And we was reelin

Reelin rockin and rollin

We's reelin' and a-rockin' and rollin' till the break of dawn

Chuck Berry

As graphic as juice down my leg to my ears.

I would agree with most people's opinions concerning comparable "band" attention, but the Beatles were from a different era than Zeppelin. I think a far more accurate comparison could be drawn between the media attention Led Zeppelin received, as opposed to both Paul McCartney & Wings, and especially Elton John during the same era. It may be hard to imagine today, but both of those acts received far more media attention than Zeppelin, especially when they were touring America. The 1976 "Wings Over America" Tour was absolutely huge, and Elton John was frickin' everywhere !

Good point! I remember hearing Zeppelin played on the FM album rock stations - they played everything from LZI to Physical Graffiti. I don't remember Presence or ITOD being played as much. But Paul McCartney and Wings - I still want to gag when I hear that stuff -

Sorry Beatles fans (NOT)

Good point! I remember hearing Zeppelin played on the FM album rock stations - they played everything from LZI to Physical Graffiti. I don't remember Presence or ITOD being played as much. But Paul McCartney and Wings - I still want to gag when I hear that stuff -

Sorry Beatles fans (NOT)

Personally I prefer George's post Beatles work. ;)

Okay, worded it wrong. But do you really think Led Zeppelin are associated with their blistering songwriting talent?

Hell yeah. Jimmy Page for example, is often rated very highly as a song writer/composer compared to his peers such as Hendrix, Clapton, Beck etc etc.

agreed on Bonham and Jones. In my opinion only second to Moon/Entwhistle as the best rhythm section in music

Just my opinion but I've not yet heard Moon/Entwhistle's rythym section match something like We're Gonna Groove (RAH) or Immigrant Song (LA). Those are monstrously groovy rythym section examples.

If anybody has any Moon/Entwhistle rythym section examples that matches or surpasses those I'd love to hear them.

Personally I prefer George's post Beatles work. ;)

His work with The Beatles wasn't too shabby either.

Within You Without You, WMGGW, Something, Here Comes The Sun, Old Brown Shoe, For You Blue et al.

As good as Lennon & McCartney were I felt George's music was overlooked far too often usually with only one or two songs per album.

His success as a solo artist wasn't by accident.

His work with The Beatles wasn't too shabby either.

Within You Without You, WMGGW, Something, Here Comes The Sun, Old Brown Shoe, For You Blue et al.

As good as Lennon & McCartney were I felt George's music was overlooked far too often usually with only one or two songs per album.

His success as a solo artist wasn't by accident.

sure was. i just love " isn't it a pity ". great song. and i have " the concert for george " DVD, i just love it, there was so much love for the guy. he is sadly missed. R.I.P. george.

Hell yeah. Jimmy Page for example, is often rated very highly as a song writer/composer compared to his peers such as Hendrix, Clapton, Beck etc etc.

Just my opinion but I've not yet heard Moon/Entwhistle's rythym section match something like We're Gonna Groove (RAH) or Immigrant Song (LA). Those are monstrously groovy rythym section examples.

If anybody has any Moon/Entwhistle rythym section examples that matches or surpasses those I'd love to hear them.

By who? Rolling Stone? :lol:

And my answer is: Live at Leeds.

I'll take that under advisement. Obviously I've missed the boat for all these years. Clearly Jimmy's dragons, poppys and the astrological signs embroidered on his outfits are blatant sexual charms. And Jones' onion ball outfit. Guaranteed to get him shagged. And Bonham's boiler suit: Hey babe, can I sweep yer chimney?

I never denied the sexual element (who could). I just find it one-dimensional and banal. If that's all you see, I put it to you that you are in fact the one who needs to look deeper, cause if all you see is sex, you're missing a huge piece of the picture.

And anyone who thinks The Beatles songs weren't about sex is delusional. The sex vs love line is so blurred it's a dot.

Peace. beer.gif

Yeah because the suits they wore on stage had so much to do with their music, right? They dressed silly either because Grant told them what to wear or just out of fashion preference.

It's not all we see. But it is, however, the overall theme of the band.

And nobody ever said no Beatles songs were about sex. ;)

Yeah because the suits they wore on stage had so much to do with their music, right? They dressed silly either because Grant told them what to wear or just out of fashion preference.

Who said that? I said the stage cosumes had nothing to do with sex.

A. Plant didn't wear "outfits" or costumes. He wore Levis and hippy shirts like every other guy did then.

B. Page cared about imagery. Lot's of bands dress for the stage.

C. Jones (who thankfull only wore that bloody jacket a small handful of times on one tour) and Bonham shouldn't even enter the topic of sexual imagery, because they never overtly exuded it. They were all business when onstage.

As for people being told how to dress, I give you The Beatles. It was all Epstein's concept to do mop tops and suits (ie they were told to do it)

Beatles1962.jpg

Once they started thinking for themselves well, surely there were no silly clothes. :whistling:

zap_beatles.jpg

This debate is about sexuality in their music not their dress, so I assumed the point you were trying to make was that their suits weren't sexual therefore their music isn't sexual- which is a ridiculous argument. My bad.

And I never meant that as a criticism against Zeppelin. Just something I was pointing out.

This debate is about sexuality in their music not their dress, so I assumed the point you were trying to make was that their suits weren't sexual therefore their music isn't sexual- which is a ridiculous argument. My bad.

And I never meant that as a criticism against Zeppelin. Just something I was pointing out.

Oh not at all! To deny the sexual element of Led Zeppelin's music would be futile! My point is that anyone making the blanket statement "Led Zeppelin is about sex" is either not seeing the bigger picture or a writer for Rolling Stone. :beer:

By who? Rolling Stone? :lol:

By who? Well just about any serious music commentator. Page is very very well reknowed for his songwriting composition compared to his peers.

And my answer is: Live at Leeds.

I've got Live At Leeds.

Which particular songs recorded for that live album even match, nevermind surpass, the monstrous drum and bass grooves in the above aforementioned Zeppelin examples.......because I can't find them on Live At Leeds. I've got The Kids Are Alright too and nup, can't see anything on their either.

Now I really love The Ox. I think he could actually have been in Zeppelin, he was that good. But I never saw Moon as a groove meister anywhere near the level of Bonzo. Bonzo was groove incarnate. Bonzo grooves all over Moonie.

Bonzo and Jones as a rythym section have no equal.

Haha Evster you are cracking me up. You made such great posts in this thread the last couple of days.

Good one.

I'm gobsmacked that a Beatles fan would say LZ wore silly clothes. What next? An Elton John fan saying LZ were too fancy with their attire? :o

And the phrase didn't start with Zeppelin. ;)

We boogied in the kitchen

We boogied in the hall

I got some on my finger

So I wiped it on the wall

And we was reelin

Reelin rockin and rollin

We's reelin' and a-rockin' and rollin' till the break of dawn

Chuck Berry

As graphic as juice down my leg to my ears.

This could be sort of sexual in nature

1953 Ike Turner

Rocket 88

You may have heard of jalopies,

You heard the noise they make,

Let me introduce you to my Rocket '88.

Yes it's great, just won't wait,

Everybody likes my Rocket '88.

Gals will ride in style,

Movin' all along.

V-8 motor and this modern design,

My convertible top and the gals don't mind

Sportin' with me, ridin' all around town for joy.

Blow your horn, Rocket, blow your horn

Step in my Rocket and-don't be late,

We're pullin' out about a half-past-eight.

Goin' on the corner and havin' some fun,

Takin' my Rocket on a long, hot run.

Ooh, goin' out,

Oozin' and cruisin' and havin' fun

Now that you've ridden in my Rocket '88,

I'll be around every night about eight.

You know it's great, don't be late,

Everybody likes my Rocket '88.

Gals will ride in style,

Movin' all along.

Cool facts about the song dubbed the first Rock and Roll song.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=432

Sorry for going off topic

Archived