Progressive Rock

zosodude13

I had a boyfriend in the late eighties who loved all the New Age Jazz (another term, lol) and we saw Pat Metheny Band 7, maybe 8 times. We also saw Jean Luc Ponty, Spyro Gyra (maybe 10 times) and a pianist i loved, David Lanz, to name a few. Very relaxing music to me.

David Lanz is good too! Spyro Gyra I'm picky about - again for my ears it's too pop. I've seen Pat many times too.

Weather Report is also a group I like. Heavy Weather is a great album.

Edited by ninelives

"I like Mahavishnu Orchestra. Have you listened to Soft Machine?"

Yeah they were a pretty great band. They don't get the credit they deserve either. They were doing things musically that no other band in "rock music" was doing at that time.

Regards;

David Lanz is good too! Spyro Gyra I'm picky about - again for my ears it's too pop. I've seen Pat many times too.

Weather Report is also a group I like. Heavy Weather is a great album.

I agree Spyro Gyra sound a bit pop. I still like them. Funny, much of this music could qualify as "elevator music" too i fear :) Ever hear David Lanz with Paul Spear? Great together. I will admit, haven't listened to this kind of music in quite a few years. Time to dig out some old CD's.

I agree Spyro Gyra sound a bit pop. I still like them. Funny, much of this music could qualify as "elevator music" too i fear :) Ever hear David Lanz with Paul Spear? Great together. I will admit, haven't listened to this kind of music in quite a few years. Time to dig out some old CD's.

I haven't heard him with Paul Spear - I'll have to look into that. I go through phases listening to it myself.

• 2 weeks later...
There have threads about different, specific bands and I just figured there should be one for the genre itself. This is for all discussions about all bands and all "attempts" at progressive rock/art rock/fusion. I guess talk about your favorites, recommendations. Even for those who dislike the genre, I would love to hear you as well. We can even go into the Rock and Roll HOF's hate for Prog........ <_<

Let get started.... in 21/8 time! :P

Rush, Yes and Dream Theatre are my fave Proggers !! 21/8 time, hmmm 21 quavers to the bar lol !! and not the crisp variety :)

Edited by leddy

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...
On 28.1.2017 at 4:15 PM, TonyZephead said:

Has anyone heard of Druckfarben ? Pretty good prog rock band from Toronto in recent years.

Just out of curiosity listened to then (was in need of new inpit).

Great band with a very Yes-like vibe to their sound.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...
4 hours ago, The Pagemeister said:

Interesting timing that you should post this today. I'm just now getting into KC and just yesterday hunted Amazon for a doc on the band. And today I see your post - thanks for posting btw. I'm def watching this when it comes to streaming.

This past week, I've listened to Lizard, Larks, Discipline and the Fripp solo LOG. I like them all (Lizard the most), and I'm sure those 4 will keep me happy for a while to come. I did listen to Red and loved it - clearly an amazing record - but don't think I'll listen to it a lot as it feels really negative to me. I try to avoid spending too much time with negative music as I get older.