Does Jimmy Page smoke?

When I saw Jimmy with Zeppelin in 1977, I was surprised to see him with a cigarette at the start of The Song Remains the Same. He was nervously pacing in a cloud of smoke as Robert pleaded with the crowd for no fireworks.

Up until that time I had never seen a photo of Page onstage with a cigarette.

I don't think Jimmy smoked cigarettes (at all) prior to 1977. I don't know when he started (or where) but none of us remember him smoking cigarettes (at least not around the younger fans). I've asked several people whose memories I trust and none of them remember Jimmy smoking during the early years either... and none of us remember Jimmy as a cigarette smoker during an era when so many people smoked everywhere. Whether Jimmy smoked privately in clubs, at parties, or in his home prior to the 1977 NA tour, I don't know...maybe he picked up the habit prior to 1977 but I don't know anyone who saw it. Those of us who remember him from the years prior to the 1977 NA tour remember him as a non-smoker while friends who remember him from 1977 (or later) remember him as a cigarette smoker. I'm glad he kicked the habit...I think it's unhealthy and unattractive.

• 2 weeks later...

In agreement with your observations MSG.

You get the feeling that Jimmy had a careless disregard toward his health from the 1977 tour and for quite a stretch of time afterward. It showed in his chain smoking and spectral physique. There's no doubt it affected his consistency to play the guitar at the level he became influential for.

I recently listened to an interview Jimmy did at the start of The Firm's 1985 tour and he had a stutter in his speech that was painful to listen to.

I read, I think it even was in George Case's book he no longer smokes.

But that photo of Jimmy smoking with Ron Wood was taken after George's book came out so... Jimmy is still smokin'. If he quits, then I have to quit and I'm not ready to quit.

Jimmy still smokes but I have no idea how much. In 1995 during the sound check in Tacoma Washington a Tacoma Dome staff said he was smoking non-stop during the sound check and just tossed the butts on the stage. I tried so hard to sneak in the T-Dome early to catch a glimpsa of the sound check but security was tight.

But that photo of Jimmy smoking with Ron Wood was taken after George's book came out so... Jimmy is still smokin'. If he quits, then I have to quit and I'm not ready to quit.

I was actually confused by that too FireOpal when I first saw that picture after reading that.

• 2 years later...

I was actually confused by that too FireOpal when I first saw that picture after reading that.

Also I thought Jimmy quit cigar around 2001... But that picture tends to confuse.

First because Jimmy has a cigar in his hands, but in another instance... You can see Jimmy smoking?

Maybe he still smoked on 2009?

So personally that photo makes me think a lot!

Archived