'75 Long Beach letter

badgeholder

I found this recently, had to laugh, I thought you guys might find it interesting. Apparently, back in 1975 the tickets for Led Zeppelin at the Long Beach Arena were only available by MAIL ORDER ONLY.

I think we may have sent them a check instead of a money order, and were therefore SHUT OUT. It looks like I was considerably upset about this (as I'm sure you can all imagine) and so I wrote them to complain/cry/whine/etc...Well, they were kind enough to respond. Shown here are both the letter informing me that it was SOLD OUT, and their response to my letter. One thing I thought about was when some of you younger forum members talk about getting in the time machine and travelling back to the seventies to see Zeppelin. Well, I'm here to report that even some of us who WERE there in the '70's and TRIED to see Zeppelin, didn't always succeed. Don't worry, I DID catch them at the Forum that year, so there's sort of a happy ending. I also actually HAD tickets to see them again at the Rose Bowl in '75, but as you all know, that was cancelled. :o

Also I'd like to hear from those of you who dealt with this back then, I mean, what if you asked for floor seats and only loge was available? Would they return your order or what? Would you have to re-order loge seats?

LZlb752.jpg

LZlb751.jpg

Shows were commonly announced in the Los Angeles Times Calendar section in those days.

I know. I just hate Robert Hilburn. I looked forward to the Sunday Calendar section every week for years! It just goes to show how far we've come. ;)

Robert Hilburn and I disagree about things, but it is not personal.

I don't hate him personally. It's just an expression. I strongly dislike his opinion journalistically. For all I know we could sit down for a pint and be fast friends.

If I say I hate Nirvana, that doesn't mean I personally dislike Dave Grohl, Krist Novocelik, or the late Kurt Cobain.

Although I do think Sammy Hagar hates him personally. Personally enough to give out Hilburn's home phone number onstage at the forum in 1985! :lol:

Maybe Sammy Hagar should stop reading reviews.

I found this recently, had to laugh, I thought you guys might find it interesting. Apparently, back in 1975 the tickets for Led Zeppelin at the Long Beach Arena were only available by MAIL ORDER ONLY.

I think we may have sent them a check instead of a money order, and were therefore SHUT OUT. It looks like I was considerably upset about this (as I'm sure you can all imagine) and so I wrote them to complain/cry/whine/etc...Well, they were kind enough to respond. Shown here are both the letter informing me that it was SOLD OUT, and their response to my letter. One thing I thought about was when some of you younger forum members talk about getting in the time machine and travelling back to the seventies to see Zeppelin. Well, I'm here to report that even some of us who WERE there in the '70's and TRIED to see Zeppelin, didn't always succeed. Don't worry, I DID catch them at the Forum that year, so there's sort of a happy ending. I also actually HAD tickets to see them again at the Rose Bowl in '75, but as you all know, that was cancelled. :o

I was able to get one of my Forum tickets by waiting in line in the parking lot all day in the heat, patiently ignoring scalpers and slowly moving toward the box office.

when some of you younger forum members talk about getting in the time machine and travelling back to the seventies to see Zeppelin. Well, I'm here to report that even some of us who WERE there in the '70's and TRIED to see Zeppelin, didn't always succeed. Don't worry, I DID catch them at the Forum that year, so there's sort of a happy ending.

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i216

...Badgeholder, even back then there was always a challenging story to get your foot out of the door to see Zep. It wasn't that easy to make it to the venue, youngsters who made it had to be determined all the way.... I am always envious of people who somehow made a plan or somehow God just put them in a historic event, naturally, (yes, I seen it happen to people here, somebody gave them a x-tra ticket) and they followed through it to see Zep back in the 70's...But it wasn't me...it was incredibly difficult to beat my circumstances, but I wonder somehow just how determined I really was........I had only one chance, that was the '77 tour East Coast dates..I was beginning to fall in love with Zep, and I would see kids going cross the border to U.S. to see various concerts, but somehow no body told me about Zep, or I didn't ask, whatever, there was not a story-in-the making :(

Yeah, in '77 we luckily had a friend at Ticketmaster, otherwise I might have been shut out then too.

I was SO ready though, for the Rose Bowl. I was gonna pack lots of water and get my ass up close no matter how impossible it looked. I was willing to sleep at those gates, run to the front and not move till it was over! It would've been EPIC. But the Long Beach thing, I'm just thinking "Why the hell didn't we just send a freakin' money order anyway?" Darn kids, what are ya, STONED or something? :D

Archived