Classical Music

redrum

Anyone like? When I began to listen to classical, a whole new world of music opened up for me. :)

I recently picked up Henryk Gorecki's Symphony #3 (Symphony Of Sorrowful Songs) with soprano Dawn Upshaw. It's a tribute to WW2 victims and is some powerful music.

I haven't heard much new classical music, but I do really like classical music. I think it's a shame that so many young people write it off as boring music because it isn't. Classical music reallly does have a lot of emotion in it if you just listen to it.

Hi redrum.. how are you doing?

I don't realy like Classical music (unlist for now). But i know that, as lzfan715 said, is full of emotion. I like it when the bands play with an orchestra (like Jethro Tull, Metallica, etc..)

But for now im with the whole 60-70's rock 'n roll, blues, some jazz and now im playing (on my guitar) songs from Al Dimeola, Paco Delucia, Silvio Rodriguez, etc..

I have mi mind open and always there's something new (or new for me)...

In a word, YES.

Favourite composer: Antonín Dvořák

Second favourite: Igor Stravinsky

Favourite Period: Romantic

Here is a list of the other composers I have listened to works by, excluding ones that I didn't intentionally seek out or heard on the radio (CBC Radio 2)

All of these I enjoy immensely, I've never heard a classical piece of music by a reputable composer that was bad.

Robert Schumann

Béla Bartók

Claude Debussy

Gioacchino Rossini

Giuseppe Verdi

Javier Navarrete

Jean Sibelius

Jóhann Jóhannsson

Johann Sebastian Bach

Leonard Bernstein

Maurice Ravel

Joaquin Rodrigo

Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Ralph Vaughan Williams

Sergei Prokofiev

Sergei Rachmaninoff

Toru Takemitsu

Yann Tiersen

Groups/soloists

The Tallis Scholars

Martha Argerich

Yo Yo Ma

Mstislav Rostropovich

Julian Bream

John Williams

One of my favourite performances

I am currently going to check out the symphonies of Mahler next. Any recommendations on pieces/recordings are appreciated.

Edit: I also love the compositions of Joe Hisaishi, who does most of his work for Studio Ghibli (Japanese animation studio, better than Disney and Pixar combined).

Check this out, for example. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlumtijNjt0&fmt=18

In a word, YES.

...enjoyed the performances...and a very impressive list...so much to learn...

Jimmy Page has mentioned Starvinsky - I am beginning to understand his music, Other than this, two of my most favorite English Themes are Summer Place/Dr. Zhivago...

Starvinsky

My cultural roots...I was basically conceived on the sounds of classical music - Bombay Symphony Orchestra ... Lost Sessions - My fav...Bombay Symphony Orchestra

Four Sticks

...and this is what Zep witnessed when they first visited India '71-'72...

a powerful nostalgic classical performance - The Birmingham Symphony Orchestra in U.K. (Concert-Royal Albert Hall - Sonu Nigam/Live) recently resurrected the Classical Famed Bombay Symphony Orchestra - As you probably know The Original Conductor was Zubin Mehta...

Absolute Classic of that era.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP9fwXY-9Aw...79&index=18

I played clarinet for many years and definitely appreciate classical music; particularly ballets with a full orchestra (Stravinsky, Tchaikovsky, etc.).

If I had more time, I would pick my clarinet up again, and would also learn piano (and acoustic guitar). It's on my long term to do list.

In a word, YES.

Here is a list of the other composers I have listened to works by, excluding ones that I didn't intentionally seek out or heard on the radio (CBC Radio 2)

All of these I enjoy immensely, I've never heard a classical piece of music by a reputable composer that was bad.

Robert Schumann

Béla Bartók

Claude Debussy

Gioacchino Rossini

Giuseppe Verdi

Javier Navarrete

Jean Sibelius

Jóhann Jóhannsson

Johann Sebastian Bach

Leonard Bernstein

Maurice Ravel

Joaquin Rodrigo

Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Ralph Vaughan Williams

Sergei Prokofiev

Sergei Rachmaninoff

Toru Takemitsu

Yann Tiersen

Groups/soloists

The Tallis Scholars

Martha Argerich

Yo Yo Ma

Mstislav Rostropovich

Julian Bream

John Williams

Your list is very impressive. I just wonder, do you not like Beethoven and Mozart (i know they are a bit overrated :) i mean, popular, in the world of Classical music, but two of my favorites none the less. I can't imagine leaving them off your list. I also enjoy Tchaikovsky , Bach, Brahams, Wagner, Puccini, Rossini, Debussy, Verdi and Stravinsky among many others.

My father always listened to Classical music so i had to hear it in the car when I was with him and on Sunday mornings in the house when i was young. I started listening to Classical music when my daughter was born. I would play it (on the Sirius music channels) when getting ready for a nap, and in the car when i wanted her to relax. I have a small collection but really enjoy so many composers and expect to listen to more in the future.

I like Beethoven and Mozart, but I don't actively listen to them. I will listen to them if they come on the radio, however.

There's too much other stuff out there for me, and I'm not a huge fan of their particular period of music.

Impressionist music is one particular genre of classical that I need to investigate more, I've only really heard Debussy and Ravel.

Also you must realize that I've only been listening to classical music seriously for about a year. I was originally off put by popular composers like Beethoven and Mozart, as I wanted to find something a little less known to start with. But I'll probably get more into them and their period of music later on.

I like Beethoven and Mozart, but I don't actively listen to them. I will listen to them if they come on the radio, however.

There's too much other stuff out there for me, and I'm not a huge fan of their particular period of music.

Impressionist music is one particular genre of classical that I need to investigate more, I've only really heard Debussy and Ravel.

Also you must realize that I've only been listening to classical music seriously for about a year. I was originally off put by popular composers like Beethoven and Mozart, as I wanted to find something a little less known to start with. But I'll probably get more into them and their period of music later on.

I guess i figured that since Beethoven and Mozart are considered two of the most popular, anyone who listens to Classical would have them on their list. They are rated so highly for good reason :) I completely understand your explanation. I would bet you listen to Classical music much more often than i do.

I think you owe it to yourself to at least purchase a greatest hits compilation of Beethoven and Mozart just because they are like the Beatles and Led Zeppelin of Classical, B).... Well i'm just trying to give you an example. You are missing out if you don't give them a little time.

I want to add: one of my very favorite pieces is Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No.1. I just listened to it.

Enjoy your new musical journeys, Jarlaxle 56!

...enjoyed the performances...and a very impressive list...so much to learn...

Jimmy Page has mentioned Starvinsky - I am beginning to understand his music, Other than this, two of my most favorite English Themes are Summer Place/Dr. Zhivago...

Starvinsky

Sorry to be picky, but his name is Stravinsky.

I love Mozart so much, for me he can never be overrated. :D

Sorry to be picky, but his name is Stravinsky.

....No prob. Glicine......As you can see from my post...I am just a Apprentice-in-the-making....it's long journey from Bombay, I wonder how Zep felt.........:D :D

If you meant what i said (since i said Beethoven and Mozart are overrated :) ) i was being facetious. They are considered the two greatest....i believe (or at least two most popular) and by no means overrated B)

In a word, YES.

Robert Schumann

Béla Bartók

Claude Debussy

Gioacchino Rossini

Giuseppe Verdi

Javier Navarrete

Jean Sibelius

Jóhann Jóhannsson

Johann Sebastian Bach

Leonard Bernstein

Maurice Ravel

Joaquin Rodrigo

Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Ralph Vaughan Williams

Sergei Prokofiev

Sergei Rachmaninoff

Toru Takemitsu

Yann Tiersen

Groups/soloists

The Tallis Scholars

Martha Argerich

Yo Yo Ma

Mstislav Rostropovich

Julian Bream

John Williams

One of my favourite performances

I am currently going to check out the symphonies of Mahler next. Any recommendations on pieces/recordings are appreciated.

Edit: I also love the compositions of Joe Hisaishi, who does most of his work for Studio Ghibli (Japanese animation studio, better than Disney and Pixar combined).

Check this out, for example. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlumtijNjt0&fmt=18

I love Beethoven and Mozart as the standout's although there are many others.

Is Beethoven not from your favorite Romantic Period? Oh, never mind I looked it up he was in between the Classical and Romantic. But he was (and Haydn) the first major composer to use the modern 5 octave Piano yes?

Not trying to sway you man but I look at thing's like this for my main like's and dislike's.

My father was a formally trained classical pianist. He had an immense record collection, and there was always a Steinway in the home. I used to cut class and sneak back into the house to listen to him playing through my bedroom wall.

Beethoven

Bach

Brahms

Prokofiev

Tchaikovsky

Debussy

Liszt

Chopin

Mozart

Haydn

Schubert

the list goes on

This was the soundtrack in our home for the first 25 years of my life.

I played the viola for about 13 years.

I love Baroque music.

I also love Mozart.

In particular, I love Water Music and Bach's Brandenburg Concertos.

In fact, I'm listening to the radio right now and there is classical playing right now. I'm not sure what it is specifically, but it's on.

My father was a formally trained classical pianist. He had an immense record collection, and there was always a Steinway in the home. I used to cut class and sneak back into the house to listen to him playing through my bedroom wall.

Beethoven

Bach

Brahms

Prokofiev

Tchaikovsky

Debussy

Liszt

Chopin

Mozart

Haydn

Schubert

the list goes on

This was the soundtrack in our home for the first 25 years of my life.

So was my mother and classical music was a huge part of my upbringing. Still is :)

I haven't heard much new classical music, but I do really like classical music. I think it's a shame that so many young people write it off as boring music because it isn't. Classical music reallly does have a lot of emotion in it if you just listen to it.

I totally agree with you. I used to be the only kid in my class who actually listened to classical music when our music teacher played it.

In a word, YES.

Robert Schumann

Béla Bartók

Claude Debussy

Gioacchino Rossini

Giuseppe Verdi

Javier Navarrete

Jean Sibelius

Jóhann Jóhannsson

Johann Sebastian Bach

Leonard Bernstein

Maurice Ravel

Joaquin Rodrigo

Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Ralph Vaughan Williams

Sergei Prokofiev

Sergei Rachmaninoff

Toru Takemitsu

Yann Tiersen

Groups/soloists

The Tallis Scholars

Martha Argerich

Yo Yo Ma

Mstislav Rostropovich

Julian Bream

John Williams

I have been trying to learn classical guitar for about 4-1/2 years and Bream and Williams are two of my faves. Williams has a dvd from Spain and he plays a Takemitsu song that is awesome. Bream's dvd is 'Guitarra: A History Of The Guitar In Spain' and the music is great along with the scenery and art.

Another recent guitar fave is Manuel Barrueco from Cuba. :)

Archived