Anybody like Robin Trower? Great classic Strat sound

Zepaholic

How's it going "Zepaholic?" I hope all is well with you. Its really nice taking a breather from the major deaths of FARRAH FAWCETT and MICHAEL JACKSON at the moment. I must admit, these are two icons that I truly believe would have never died young, but rather have lived a long life. I guess that things in life don't always go the way that you want it to go. A lot of my female friends, including my own sister Linda and my daughter Lydia, were in tears the moment that they heard about MICHAEL JACKSON'S death. I can't believe all of the attention that MICHAEL JACKSON'S death is receiving in the media as well as throughout the internet. I swear, MICHAEL JACKSON'S death is almost like signaling the end of the world for millions of fans worldwide. Its almost like reliving ELVIS' (August 1977) and JOHN LENNON'S (December 1980) deaths all over again. Enough for now.

In reference to MR. ROBIN TROWER, I am a very big fan of his music! I really got into ROBIN TROWER while he was still playing Guitar for the legendary 1960's and early 1970's band PROCOL HARUM. In my opinion, PROCOL HARUM never let TROWER let loose on the Guitar and play to his fullest potential. When TROWER left PROCOL HARUM in 1971, the Rock n' Roll world did not expect anything major or serious from TROWER'S new band. After signing a solo deal with the Chrysalis Record label in 1972, TROWER'S new band would release their debut TWICE REMOVED FROM YESTERDAY album in 1973. It would be at this point, that TROWER would set the stage and would finally let loose on his Guitar the way he knew he could do it. ROBIN TROWER'S legendary masterpiece, the landmark BRIDGE OF SIGHS would be released in 1974 and would shock the Rock n' Roll world forever. In my opinion, BRIDGE OF SIGHS is not only ROBIN TROWER'S greatest achievement and finest hour, but the album has to be ranked as one of the all-time greatest Rock Guitar albums ever recorded. The BRIDGE OF SIGHS album is also one of my all-time favorite albums ever. I love the songs "Day Of The Eagle," "Bridge Of Sighs," "Too Rolling Stoned" and "Little Bit Of Sympathy," these songs really bring out the best in TROWER'S Guitar playing.

As for the BRIDGE OF SIGHS album on CD, I own the newest 1999 release in the 24-Bit Digitally Remastered Expanded Edition which really sounds GREAT! However, if you really want to hear this album at its best sounding potential, I highly recommend that you purchase the BRIDGE OF SIGHS album in the ORIGINAL MASTER RECORDING/ULTRADISC format on a 24 KT. Gold Disc by Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (MFSL). By doing this, you will hear the BRIDGE OF SIGHS album the way that TROWER really truly intended for this album to be heard. ROCK ON!

I like him, he's a good player but I don't think he's a great player because what he does is so derivative. As good as Robin is the best thing about his early work was James Dewar's vocals, James is tragically overlooked.

BTW for those who don't know Robin teamed up in 2007 with Jack Bruce and Gary Husband for an album. The album flew far below the radar and most people haven't heard it. If you are one of those people you owe it to yourself to hear it. It sounds like some great lost classic rock album and if you didn't know it was recorded in 2007 you'd swear it was older. Stylistically it sounds like Cream with Hendrix guesting on guitar, seriously. Check it out.

OMG! I used to LOVE Robin Trower..had Bridge of Sighs...but alas all of my vinyl is gone (long story..). And I never replaced that or some of his other ones that I had.

Thank you for reminding me of him, and for the great YT links!!!! Geez, he still sounds just as good!! Still LOVE BRidge of Sighs...sounds so good after not hearing it for so many years. :)

Thanks again for starting this thread!

Sharon

Bridge Of Sighs is in my top ten. Also holds a special place in my heart, first concert I went to was his on that tour. Well, first concert I went to without walking or hitchhiking to. ;)

I saw him a few years back at a small theater of about 1000. Great player. I had a chance to meet him too, very nice guy.

I'm going to see him in a place like that in September.

I first saw Robin Trower at The Fifteenth Jazz, Blues and Rock Festival (then, as now, referred to as The Reading Festival, UK,) in 1975. This was followed up by a gig at the Empire Pool, Wembley, London (now the Wembley Arena) the following year. I saw him last at Poole Arts Centre (now Lifehouse) in 1980.

He was, on all occasions, superb.

RB

I like him, he's a good player but I don't think he's a great player because what he does is so derivative. As good as Robin is the best thing about his early work was James Dewar's vocals, James is tragically overlooked.

BTW for those who don't know Robin teamed up in 2007 with Jack Bruce and Gary Husband for an album. The album flew far below the radar and most people haven't heard it. If you are one of those people you owe it to yourself to hear it. It sounds like some great lost classic rock album and if you didn't know it was recorded in 2007 you'd swear it was older. Stylistically it sounds like Cream with Hendrix guesting on guitar, seriously. Check it out.

Agree with the Jimmy Dewar comment. A warm, soulful voice...just superb.

James sings Day of the Eagle..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRz1Nf7ebIA...feature=related

Man, I remember the first time I heard Day of the Eagle! It was 1978. I was 14 and my friend handed me his Les Paul and put it on saying "Play to THAT!"

I wasn't so good, but I learned something that day. Stoney sweetness! A big doobie and another god for my pantheon! B)

Then I heard Bridge of Sighs....

• 2 weeks later...

Hey you know what i forgot to ask....what does JP think of Robin Trower as a guitar player? I am sure everyone on the planet knows the answer to this question except for me...thanks for obliging!! :)

Sharon

Robin usually doesn't get high marks from well known players because his influences are so obvious. Trower was a great player that would have gotten a lot more respect if he'd left the freakin' Strat, UniVibe and Wah in the van. Like todays Stevie Ray Vaughanabee's he was often written off as a Hendrix imitator.

Robin usually doesn't get high marks from well known players because his influences are so obvious. Trower was a great player that would have gotten a lot more respect if he'd left the freakin' Strat, UniVibe and Wah in the van. Like todays Stevie Ray Vaughanabee's he was often written off as a Hendrix imitator.

Thanks danelectro! I did not know that he didn't get high marks. Oh, well, I sure still enjoy listening to him!!!! :)

Sharon

A kind of funny related Trower story. SRV once punched his drunken brother (Jimmie Vaughan) for berating him about his playing in the early days. Jimmie had been listening and began to insult him by telling the young SRV he sounded like Robin Trower. The irony is the playing style of SRV has now become as cliche as anything.

Just a fun thing I read in an SRV bio and not meant to be insulting to anyone involved. I really like SRV, Robin and Jimmie and I wish someone would tell me my playing sounded like Robin or SRV :D.

A kind of funny related Trower story. SRV once punched his drunken brother (Jimmie Vaughan) for berating him about his playing in the early days. Jimmie had been listening and began to insult him by telling the young SRV he sounded like Robin Trower. The irony is the playing style of SRV has now become as cliche as anything.

Just a fun thing I read in an SRV bio and not meant to be insulting to anyone involved. I really like SRV, Robin and Jimmie and I wish someone would tell me my playing sounded like Robin or SRV :D.

:D

Sharon

• 5 years later...

Robin Trower. James Dewar. Bill Lordan.

Accept no substitutes. Hands down, one of the greatest power-trios to trod the boards. As expertly noted by danelectro, Robin's secret weapon was James Dewar's supple bass lines and bluesy voice. Because of the strength of Robin's bandmates, his songs had a soulful depth and staying power that other flashy guitar hotshots of the day commonly lacked...people like Frank Marino, Pat Travers, Rick Derringer, Tommy Bolin, etc.

I killed many brain cells getting stoned to Robin Trower albums back in the day. Back when I was in the army, you could often find me unwinding after a long day or week with a bowl in one hand, a bottle of Jack in the other, and Robin Trower Live spinning on my turntable. For that brief period from 1973 to 1976 he was as good as it gets for stoner blues rock.

https://youtu.be/npTd88r51LY

Robin Trower. James Dewar. Bill Lordan.

Accept no substitutes. Hands down, one of the greatest power-trios to trod the boards. As expertly noted by danelectro, Robin's secret weapon was James Dewar's supple bass lines and bluesy voice. Because of the strength of Robin's bandmates, his songs had a soulful depth and staying power that other flashy guitar hotshots of the day commonly lacked...people like Frank Marino, Pat Travers, Rick Derringer, Tommy Bolin, etc.

I killed many brain cells getting stoned to Robin Trower albums back in the day. Back when I was in the army, you could often find me unwinding after a long day or week with a bowl in one hand, a bottle of Jack in the other, and Robin Trower Live spinning on my turntable. For that brief period from 1973 to 1976 he was as good as it gets for stoner blues rock.

https://youtu.be/npTd88r51LY

YEP! Jimmy Dewar had the opposite voice when everyone else was trying to sound like Percy! I really preferred Reg Isidore on drums though.

Ever hear the bootleg of the For Earth Below rehearsals where-in Bill (formally of Sly and the Family Stone) is learning their material? Lots of free form jamming!

Archived