Most powerful scenes in movie history.

lzzoso

Hello, everyone. I was watching the movie "True Romance" with Christian Slater (and a shitload of other great actors) the other night and the scene where Christopher Walken interrogates Dennis Hopper about Slaters whereabouts and what Hopper says to Walken about the history of the Sicilians made think that this is one powerful piece of cinema. If you have seen this Quentin Tarantino scripted movie than most of you will know where I am coming from. To me that was only one scene in this great movie. The shootout at the end was equally amazing.

Another scene of another movie I consider classic and powerful is the scene in the "Godfather" when Michael Corleone (Al Pacino) discusses how he plans to kill Sollozo and the police captain that broke his jaw. Michael is sitting in his fathers chair all casual and the camera slowly zooms into Michael as he says "I'll kill em both" In my opinion that is a foreshadowing that Michael is destined to be the next Godfather.

If any of you have seen these two movies, you should know what I am talkin about. Agree or disagree? Or what do you consider to be the most powerful scenes in movie history. All opinions are recommended.

The landing on Omaha Beach scene from Saving Private Ryan was for me the most powerful movie going experience I have ever had. As I sat and watched this scene my hands were gripping the seat so tight that my fingers went numb. For 20 minutes as this scene played out, I could hardly swallow and my breathing was short and shallow. I had never before been so drawn into what was happening in a film as I was during this scene.

To this day I find this hard to watch without a lot of emotion welling up inside of me, and I can't help but think how much the nations of Western Europe owe us in thanks --- actually our soldiers -- our blood and treasure, for saving them in that war.

Hoorah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g-p8SNPZQk...PL&index=47

The landing on Omaha Beach scene from Saving Private Ryan was for me the most powerful movie going experience I have ever had. As I sat and watched this scene my hands were gripping the seat so tight that my fingers went numb. For 20 minutes as this scene played out, I could hardly swallow and my breathing was short and shallow. I had never before been so drawn into what was happening in a film as I was during this scene.

To this day I find this hard to watch without a lot of emotion welling up inside of me, and I can't help but think how much the nations of Western Europe owe us in thanks --- actually our soldiers -- our blood and treasure, for saving them in that war.

Hoorah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g-p8SNPZQk...PL&index=47

This is exactly what I was going for. I completely agree with you. The first half hour of "Saving Private Ryan" is one of the best filmed scenes in movie history. I am a very proud American and if this does not move you emotionally than I do not know what could.

Hello, everyone. I was watching the movie "True Romance" with Christian Slater (and a shitload of other great actors) the other night and the scene where Christopher Walken interrogates Dennis Hopper about Slaters whereabouts and what Hopper says to Walken about the history of the Sicilians made think that this is one powerful piece of cinema. If you have seen this Quentin Tarantino scripted movie than most of you will know where I am coming from. To me that was only one scene in this great movie. The shootout at the end was equally amazing.

Another scene of another movie I consider classic and powerful is the scene in the "Godfather" when Michael Corleone (Al Pacino) discusses how he plans to kill Sollozo and the police captain that broke his jaw. Michael is sitting in his fathers chair all casual and the camera slowly zooms into Michael as he says "I'll kill em both" In my opinion that is a foreshadowing that Michael is destined to be the next Godfather.

If any of you have seen these two movies, you should know what I am talkin about. Agree or disagree? Or what do you consider to be the most powerful scenes in movie history. All opinions are recommended.

How's it going "lzzoso" as well as our fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? I hope all is well with all of you. AL PACINO has starred in some of the greatest movies ever made. One is THE GODFATHER and the other is the 1983 legendary "far ahead of its time " breakthrough movie SCARFACE. During and after its release in 1983, SCARFACE was the most violent film ever made! For being released in 1983, SCARFACE can still hold up to the most violent films ever made today in 2009. There was a lot of controversy over SCARFACE even before the film was ever released. And just think, SCARFACE was the very first film in many years that the Motion Pictures of America wanted to give an X Rating due to the extreme and graphic violent scenes that was being shown in SCARFACE. I remember reading that the Director had to delete many scenes in SCARFACE in order to get the movie rating to a very close R Rating. My favorite scene in SCARFACE is the EXPLOSIVE finale in which Tony Montana dares to get into a very violent shootout as well as battle many of his former friend's (Drug Lord) assassins despite being heavily out numbered. This scene ALONE, changed violence in movie making FOREVER! SCARFACE will always rank as one of the Top 10 all-time greatest action packed/violent films ever made. ROCK ON!

I second the Russian Roulette scene in Deer Hunter. The intensity in that one nearly made it unwatchable.

From a recent movie, I was especially moved when watching I Am Legend during the dog killing scene. I guess it doesn't qualify for "Most Powerful Scene in Movie History", but still...

EDIT: I just remembered another one, and I think this one would qualify for being among the most powerful in history. The John Coffey electric chair scene in Green Mile.

Since Del scooped me on the opening of Saving Private Ryan, I'll throw this in the ring:

Quint (Robert Shaw) - "Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into her side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte. We'd just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes.

Didn't see the first shark for about a half-hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that in the water, Chief? You can tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn't know, was that our bomb mission was so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin' by, so we formed ourselves into tight groups. It was sorta like you see in the calendars, you know the infantry squares in the old calendars like the Battle of Waterloo and the idea was the shark come to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin' and hollerin' and sometimes that shark he go away... but sometimes he wouldn't go away.

Sometimes that shark looks right at ya. Right into your eyes. And the thing about a shark is he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn't even seem to be livin'... 'til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all your poundin' and your hollerin' those sharks come in and... they rip you to pieces.

You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don't know how many sharks there were, maybe a thousand. I do know how many men, they averaged six an hour. Thursday mornin', Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boson's mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water, he was like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he'd been bitten in half below the waist.

At noon on the fifth day, a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Hooper here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol' fat PBY come down and started to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. 316 men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945.

Anyway, we delivered the bomb."

:beer:

I loved that scene! So romantic! It's one of my favorite movie scenes as well! :) One of my all time favorites is also from Slumdog Millionaire: the scene after the "bathroom tile scrawl" scene. ;)

I love Romance...I love scenes from Dr. Zhivago

The World of Suzi Wong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvUQqk3l0xw...feature=related

...and the Original Slumdog Millionaire Romantic Scene/Film is pictured here... :D :D

0.jpg

deewar-wallpaper.jpg

Poor Slum boy grows up to be a gangster millionaire...The Scarface of Indian Cinema...Timeless classic scripted fro Slumdog Millionaire...Both beautiful films in their own ways...... :D

It's already been mentioned in this thread but Robert Shaw's monologue as Quint in Jaws is hard to top.

Jaws_2.jpg

Such fine acting from Shaw made you believe the man himself actually lived through it. He also had a major role in writing the version of the monologue we see in the movie.

The scene also works because that's a real boat out on the real ocean with the real horizon bobbing up and down in the background. Nowadays that would be done in the studio with CGI. :rolleyes:

This is exactly what I was going for. I completely agree with you. The first half hour of "Saving Private Ryan" is one of the best filmed scenes in movie history. I am a very proud American and if this does not move you emotionally than I do not know what could.

Even though it's more fantastical and less realistic I actually prefer to watch the END battle in Saving Private Ryan these days.

Dunno, maybe it's those tanks. :o

I love Romance...I love scenes from Dr. Zhivago

The World of Suzi Wong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvUQqk3l0xw...feature=related

...and the Original Slumdog Millionaire Romantic Scene/Film is pictured here... :D :D

0.jpg

deewar-wallpaper.jpg

Poor Slum boy grows up to be a gangster millionaire...The Scarface of Indian Cinema...Timeless classic scripted fro Slumdog Millionaire...Both beautiful films in their own ways...... :D

Wow, hi PlanetPage! Nice! Didn't know there was an "original" Slumdog!

Since Del scooped me on the opening of Saving Private Ryan, I'll throw this in the ring:

Quint (Robert Shaw) - "Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into her side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte. We'd just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes.

Didn't see the first shark for about a half-hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that in the water, Chief? You can tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn't know, was that our bomb mission was so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin' by, so we formed ourselves into tight groups. It was sorta like you see in the calendars, you know the infantry squares in the old calendars like the Battle of Waterloo and the idea was the shark come to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin' and hollerin' and sometimes that shark he go away... but sometimes he wouldn't go away.

Sometimes that shark looks right at ya. Right into your eyes. And the thing about a shark is he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn't even seem to be livin'... 'til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all your poundin' and your hollerin' those sharks come in and... they rip you to pieces.

You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don't know how many sharks there were, maybe a thousand. I do know how many men, they averaged six an hour. Thursday mornin', Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boson's mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water, he was like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he'd been bitten in half below the waist.

At noon on the fifth day, a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Hooper here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol' fat PBY come down and started to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. 316 men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945.

Anyway, we delivered the bomb."

:beer:

Trivia...Shaw was having a drink between takes, at which point he announced "I wish I could quit drinking." Much to the surprise and horror of the crew, Richard Dreyfuss simply grabbed Shaw's glass and tossed it into the ocean. When it came time to shoot the infamous USS Indianapolis Scene, Shaw attempted to do the monologue while intoxicated as it called for the men to be drinking late at night. Nothing in the take could be used. A remorseful Shaw called Steven Spielberg late that night and asked if he could have another try. The next day of shooting, Shaw's electrifying performance was done in ONE TAKE.

The scene in Jaw's where Quint is telling his story about the shark's eating all his crew mate's in the South Pacific during WW2 is not the best in the world...but the way they lead up to the diolog is brilliant! It starts off with three guy's doing a noble and unrealistically imposable deed (from the look's of the old but sea worthy boat there in) on the ocean, getting drunk, having a scar showing contest. Then Quint start's into a fantastically true story (that really did happen) about being helpless as he wait's his turn to be taken out of the water! Jaw's was the first book I read when I was a kid, but I'm not a book reader, unless it's a manual I must read or apart of some research I'm doing.

The second was a book called "The Empire Strike's Back" And I think that the scene where Vader tells Luke that he is indeed his father is the most powerful scene in the history of movies! Nobody saw that coming from any where! And it was kept a secret right up until the day the scene was shot just to get the right effect, the actor's didn't even know. How can you beat it? Young Luke is hanging on for life on the end of a cat walk facing a very long drop down the stalk shaft to the uni pod at the bottom of the Cloud City station.

Then there is the well known, "I don't give a dam!" from "Gone With The Wind". That was another lead up to a dramatic climax. But that's what writing is all about and will set a regular movie apart from a great movie.

Maybe not the most "classic" movies but two scenes that have always been pretty emotional and poignant are 1) the end of "Return of the King" when Frodo gets on the boat and 2) the end of Ghost when Patrick Swayze is saying goodbye to Demi Moore and fades off into assumably, heaven.

Archived