Just opened the time capsule

Today's task is taking my precious LZ collection out of its trunk, where it's sat unopened for many, many, MANY years, and boxing it up for storage.

I merely unhinged it and opened the top, and saw the first haphazard layer... I'd completely forgotten I had so many of these things! Such as this ilustrated Japenese paperback (I think Robert Plant is a fictionalized character... can't remember, and it is all sealed up). I also have more tour guides and tour tees than I'd recalled, etc.

As I unearth, I will take more photos!

zep_trunk.jpg

zep_trunk2.jpg

Today's task is taking my precious LZ collection out of its trunk, where it's sat unopened for many, many, MANY years, and boxing it up for storage.

I merely unhinged it and opened the top, and saw the first haphazard layer... I'd completely forgotten I had so many of these things! Such as this ilustrated Japenese paperback (I think Robert Plant is a fictionalized character... can't remember, and it is all sealed up). I also have more tour guides and tour tees than I'd recalled, etc.

zep_trunk2.jpg

Ah, that is "Eroica", a japanese manga serie. And the protagonist is based on Robert.

zep_trunk.jpg

zep_trunk2.jpg

:o

in the words of monty python: "you lucky lucky basterd" :P

You are absolutely right! (see my post, below)

Ta-da!

Here are the photos. There are lots of them. I found **most** of my collection in the old steamer trunk today. Some things I know are still missing, but they're around somewhere. I never throw anything away. I put them into white storage boxes, and away they'll go for the next 20+ years, I suppose.

The Led Zep and Page/Plant related stuff is so cool to revisit. It's like a time capsule. I was writing reviews, even back in the 80s (that's what I do now, for a living). I took a pic of one I wrote when I saw The Firm at what used to be the L.A. Forum -- but it's funny because I mostly concentrated on what they said, looked like, and what they were wearing over their actual performance. I also found a high-8 tape of a concert I saw of Page/Plant on May 17, 1995. Have never looked at it; I may get ambitious and transfer it to DVD.

I also found my very first "letter from the editor" (I had a Led Zep newsletter, PRESENCE, which I'd mail out to paying subscribers all over the world -- found my address list and accounts receivable ledger, too). And my then- best friend Peg LaForces's own newsletter, The Crunge. There used to be a ton of them. I have copies of Tight But Loose, The Rover, Runes, Feather in the Wind, Proximity, etc.

I have diary pages from when I met Robert, Jimmy, and kind-of knew Richard Cole in 80s, with great details, fortunately, because even then my memory was terrible and I had to write everything down. It's interesting. I'd even told Cole I hoped he'd gotten help for his drinking. Cheeky!!

I see I have pictures of Robert Plant with goats, snakes, horses... weird stuff! I used to be SUCH a fan-girl. I knew everything. No longer. After I interviewed Jimmy Page for It Might Get Loud, my husband asked me if Jimmy is married, and I replied, "I don't know." He was incredulous... he said, "YOU don't KNOW if JImmy Page is MARRIED??!!" Ha. I still don't. Haven't bothered to look it up.

I also have a bagful of tour tee shirts, and posters. Didn't look at them, at all. Too much stuff. (If only I'd been a Michael Jackson collector... I'd be sitting pretty now! But my taste in music would not be nearly as cool.)

My favorite forgotten finds were the 1969 tour book, and a Robert Plant special edition book (In The Mirror) I don't even remember having.

I tried to post the pics, but I got an error saying I have too many. I guess I'll try a few at time...?

zepcollection1.jpg

zepcollection10.jpg

zepcollection12.jpg

zepcollection1a.jpg

zepcollection2.jpg

Haha! You have Circus magazine's Robert Plant: Led Zeppelin's Golden Boy by Michael Gross! That was my first book waaay back when. I still have a copy. A funny read when you revisit it now. :lol:

Great stuff and really cool. I'm sure I have some good things as well. I do have a few rare 45's, numerous fanzines, Richie York's book with the PEZ cover and the Zep on the People magazine cover. Just a few. Not as extensive as some here.

Thanks! It was very fun to look through... Too much. I wasted a lot of time just leafing through pages yesterday, when I should have been packing :)

I have always loved the PEZ cover design. And that Robert Plant Through the Mirror book has TONS of really rare pics. The '69 tour guide is beautifully put together, in hard cover.

Nowadays, you're probably lucky to get one at all (I don't know... haven't been to a stadium styl show in YEARS. The last real concert I saw, which was not Ventures-related [my dad's band], was OhGr [skinny Puppy's lead singer's solo] at a club, and then I am going to The Wiltern next month to see The Dead Weather [Jack White's latest endeavor]). No extensive "tour books" for those.

Staci

Oh wow :o Omg lucky!! And was that a robert plant manga?? i wanna read it lol

Not exactly. The protagonist is physically based on Robert, but named Dorian, after "The Picture of Dorian Gray".

Not exactly. The protagonist is physically based on Robert, but named Dorian, after "The Picture of Dorian Gray".

I have it, but I never opened it or read it. However, for those interested, EROICA is on Amazon.com, and I also found this snippet of a review of one of the books:

===

Led Zeppelin seemed like a fitting thing to follow up this volume with seeing as how Yasuko Aoike crammed ALL FOUR MEMBERS into this manga. The Eroica teams contains “James” Page, Dorian as Robert Plant, an obscure member named John-Paul for John Paul Jones (who I think gets mentioned in the first volume and then gets a vague mention in volume 7) and yes… even our mustachioed friend Bonham as… John Bonham. If you love this manga as much as I do, Stairway to Heaven is like the after-sex cigarette.

===

Archived