Making The World A Better Place

Deborah J

6 hours ago, Emma Jane said:

I volunteer as a grief counselor during my spare time. I do so to provide an outlet for people to talk and confide in me, as I know too well, how painful it is to lose someone you love, at such a young age. 

That's wonderful, Emma! I know what happened to your boyfriend and the pain you suffered because of that. A big kudos to you for taking such a horrific occurrence in your life and turning it into something to help other people! Wow! :) 

I try to be kind to people as much as a I can. Especially old people or people who look homeless. I have known lonliness in m own life and nothing makes a lonely person feel better than just a smile and a hello.

On 9/16/2016 at 3:26 AM, Strider said:

I make the world a better place by not procreating.

I'm with you, there. I made the decision to never have kids, a couple of years ago. As a result, I have been greeted with 'unsolicited advice' and theories of being selfish and immature. I have also been greeted with phrases like Oh, it's just a phase that you're going through, you'll change your mind, etc. Personally, my decision was driven by two factors: that the world is becoming a nastier place, day by day and the Economy...well, the less said about it, the better. Money has lost its value. Things aren't getting any cheaper. Under these circumstances, I really don't want to bring a kid into this world. Also, I really don't see myself as someone with maternal instincts. 

My heart goes out to all those babies being born each day in war ravaged areas. Why would people bring a kid into that kind of a life that involves starvation, war and death? It just doesn't make any sense to me at all! :( 

I hope to be in a relationship with a girl who doesn't want kids, but if her views on the matter, do differ from mine, then, she'll have to compromise as adoption will be the only way to go (giving an underprivileged kid a home, is so much better than 'contributing' to planet earth's population, IMHO), as far as I am concerned or we'll have to go our separate ways. Also, when someone brings up the topic of me having kids, I ask them aren't there enough human beings on this planet already? Does there have to be more? 

I came across this interesting article in the paper, today. The headline was blunt and might actually be cringe-worthy for some : Want to Slow Climate Change? Stop Having Babies. Can't say that I disagree with the scientist / philosopher who propounded this theory. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3804123/Want-stop-global-warming-STOP-having-babies-says-scientist.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-23/want-to-slow-climate-change-stop-having-babies-bioethicist-travis-rieder-says

Archived