The Moon Landing....

Cecil.

:) well, on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays - it all seems authentic to me, I take it as read, and at face value.

On Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, I believe it was nothing more than a colossal scam, and a highly expensive excercise in propaganda. :angry:

And on the Sabbath, I am open-minded, undecided one way or another, and if truth be told, have no particular interest anyway. :stereo:

Having watched all of the Gemini and then the Apollo missions on TV it was a very special day for all of us kids. An amazing achievement that showed just how good we human's can be when we put our minds to it.

I remember that night very well.

It's the night my sister got preggers, and we sat around and got high and watched it.

Pretty trippy.

The moonlanding was out of this world.I was but a preteen punk, but all over it .My 83 year old dad still eats this stuff up.

Speaking of preggers,I believe I remember an interview or article in which Marilu Henner, stated she lost her virginity (in the shower) the day of the moonlanding. Dippy trivia, I guess.

Everyone here must have something to say.

well...?

I wasn't born yet and my parents hadn't even met. I didn't come around for another 13 years. My parents didn't meet until 1971.

I've seen it on TV though and it's very awe-inspiring.

I have a few vivid memories of the first moon launch. I remember our color TV went up that week. My dad bought a small Panasonic B&W to get us through the week. It did n't matter because the braodcast was filmed in B&W. I can recall viewing the hazy images and posing questions to my father who seemed to have all the answers. I recollect reading the maps in Nat'l Geo that were inserted in the magazine. These gave great detail as to where the Astronauts were going to land. The Best part was the landing and watching the frog men dive out of helicopters, after the splashdown.

natgeo_moon.jpg

Hi all,

I always wondered how they got the tv camera outside before Armstrong came down the ladder. :mellow:

step.jpg

Telecast of Neil Armstrong descending the lunar module ladder just prior to taking his first step on the moon. The TV camera automatically deployed after Armstrong pulled on a special ring.

KB

I was freaked out on acid at the time and was also sweating the draft, so it was no big deal to me.

But I'd like to see all the Taliban sent to the moon or better still to Uranus. :D

It should be a national holiday and celebrated far more than it is. July 20th, July 4th and Thanksgiving are the most important holidays in my book. I can't believe how undercelebrated these events are in America. On the anniversary of the day of one of mankind's greatest achievements we get what? A commemorative coin? And the day we gained independence as a nation is celebrated by watching shit blow up. How nice.

I remember that day well. I was 11. watching at a friends house, and it was taking forever for them to come out, so I rode my bike home to continue watching with my family. There was NOBODY on the streets at all. The whole fucking world was watching this.

I still have the super 8 my dad bought me when I was four. He was an astrophysicist and worked for NASA and Rockwell on those rockets. I grew up in Seal Beach, right down from the plant. It was an incredible time.

rockwell-copy-300x231.jpg

The former North American Rockwell plant on Seal Beach Boulevard. Image courtesy of Rockwell.

All of the Apollo astronauts were launched into space aboard 3-stage Saturn V rockets. The rocket’s second stage was built at the old North American Rockwell plant in Seal Beach, and the third stage was constructed at the Douglas facility off Bolsa Avenue in Huntington Beach, a couple of miles away. Most of the engineering was done in large smoke-filled by engineers using slide rules instead of small calculators, which had yet to come into widespread use. Both plants are now owned by Boeing.

It's something to think that I used to play with one of those slide rules!

I thought the quarantine was silly at that time. It still looks funny. Even old Tricky Dick was disappointed he could not hang out with the boys.

600px-Apollo_11_crew_in_quarantine-thumb.jpg

I did a little bit of work on the USS HORNET as they set it up as a museum in Alameda, CA. It has the astronauts footprints painted on the floor when they stepped out of the capsule.

The Hornet was a great old ship in WW2 and shot down about 1,500 Jap planes. :D

The Hornet before that which flew the Doolittle raid was sunk in 1942.

Eat lead ya' bucktoothed bastard! :D

(It was the language of the day)

w2_ijn_torpedo_bomber.jpg

I was in elementary school at the time. I can remember watching it on tv and being afraid for the astronauts. I thought that they would be stranded on the moon. I was afraid that they wouldn't make it back to earth, or that they would be killed in the process of coming back.

And I can remember going outside after dark and looking up at the moon and saying prayers for the safe return of the astronauts. I fantasized about what they were doing at that exact moment that I was looking at the moon. I was amazed at how far away the moon was from earth and how astonishing it was that we could see what they were doing on tv.

And I remember feeling very patriotic and being very proud to be a citizen of the USA and thinking that my country was the world's greatest.

I also pondered how unimaginable it was that a human being was actually walking on the moon.

And I also considered how my grandparents felt about how modern our world had become, and how that when they were my age, how unthinkable it would have been for people to believe that man would reach the moon and actually walk on it in the next generation. So I thought about the future space age that we were entering, and I thought about the past, and how far we had come in our advancements in science and technology. And I was mesmerized by it all. And a little afraid, too, for the future.

Archived