Which bands or artists are you thankful for influencing your musical taste?

I don't think anyone should ever write off any genre of music as an artist might come along that will just grab you and make you at least appreciate the music.

Santana, got me into rock music and rock well it can have about any genre you can think of in it, folk rock, country rock, etc.

When I first heard the music of Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash it made me appreciate country and realize there is good country out there.

This one is more recent but Townes Van Zandt and more specifically the Townes album Live at the old Quarter kind of blew my mind.

So what are artists or bands that have opened new doors for you in musical terms or which have blown your mind so to speak?

Chuck Berry ! In the movie Back To The Future it was that part when the main character played Johnny B Goode. That scene changed my life, and I'm not joking. I don't even know what I was listening too before getting into rock music (actually, before getting into music).

Of course, there are others too, but he was the one that started it for me and got me into playing guitar and all that. Actually not him, but his song, cuz I didn't even know who wrote the song when I watched the movie for the first time (I was pretty lame, but hey, I'm 16 :D ).

My dad had a great record collection and really early on, when I was about five years old, I fell in love with songs like

by The Rolling Stones and One Night with Elvis. I sat and stare on the LP covers and thought they looked so damn cool. I thank The Stones and Elvis (and my dad) for getting me into the blues.

Cliche as this will be it was Ace Frehley and KISS for me. Because of Ace I got a guitar for Xmas in 1978 and from there I was off and running. It wasn't long before I was making connections like seeing the guitarists in Creem who had the "same" guitar as me, it was an SG copy bought from a catalog. Seeing SG's in the hands of famous players opened up new doors for me and soon I was listening to FM radio to hear those musicians.

Cliche as this will be it was Ace Frehley and KISS for me. Because of Ace I got a guitar for Xmas in 1978 and from there I was off and running. It wasn't long before I was making connections like seeing the guitarists in Creem who had the "same" guitar as me, it was an SG copy bought from a catalog. Seeing SG's in the hands of famous players opened up new doors for me and soon I was listening to FM radio to hear those musicians.

Yeah, Ace and the rest of Kiss is very much the reason why I wanted to start playing guitar. But I didn't discover Kiss until I was in school, before that I only knew the music in my dads record collection. :D

Ace for me too. Kiss Alive changed everything! Then I found Zeppelin. Oh Jimmy! I was highly savvy for a ten year old! :lol:

My father. Classical pianist, painter, professor of physics. Anything good to be found in me came from him and my mom. He's long gone, but she's still my best friend. And she's coming to visit tomorrow! :cheer:

Ace for me too. Kiss Alive changed everything! Then I found Zeppelin. Oh Jimmy! I was highly savvy for a ten year old! :lol:

My father. Classical pianist, painter, professor of physics. Anything good to be found in me came from him and my mom. He's long gone, but she's still my best friend. And she's coming to visit tomorrow! :cheer:

My first would be Elvis. My parents loved him. They also listened to country music with George Jones, growing up in New Orleans Jazz was also big. But I was 9 years old when I heard Led Zeppelion and bought my first album when I was 11 in 1971 and never looked back.

Hope you and your Mom have a great vsit:-)

It's honestly Led Zeppelin... there were the first for me, and thus the foundation. Even though you look at my signature and avatar and most of my posts are about other bands... Led Zeppelin are still my favorite band.

After that it was the Beatles and that helped to diversify my tastes. MC5 brought my attention to a world of 'underground' non-mainstream music. King Crimson took me taste for simplicity and widened it to the near symphonic and complex styles. Link Wray brought me back to the simple sounds I am currently interested in now and helped me to appreciate the early rockers.

It was about a year before LZ caught me attention, but I think the Beatles 1 album pushed me in the right direction. I know many people in my generation who were impacted in their musical tastes because of that album.

Led Zeppelin for my taste in music. All of it, if it wasn't for my dad giving me a turntable when I was three and letting me listen to Led Zeppelin 4 over and over again I wouldn't be here right now.

Robert Plant for widening my listening range. I know love world music, which is something that I never thought I'd do. And also for turning me on to Janis Joplin.

Janis Joplin for showing me the music of the sixties, the blues, and women in music. I could thank Janis for so many other things, but that's another story for another time.

Grace Slick for showing me the incredible psychadelic (sp?0 music that she made with Jefferson Airplane.

Yeah, Ace and the rest of Kiss is very much the reason why I wanted to start playing guitar. But I didn't discover Kiss until I was in school, before that I only knew the music in my dads record collection. :D

Our house was pretty much typical of any 70's household occupied by young adults, my parents were in their 20's for the early 70's. I was aware of bands like the Beatles, because I heard it daily, and the Doors because my Dad was big into them and the 8 tracks were scattered about the car. But it was KISS for me 100%. An older kid from the neighborhood gave me KISS Alive for my 7th B-day and that was truly the first time I remember having music of my own to identify with and be influenced by. Before that I had obviously heard music but I was more into Ernie and Bert than rock and roll.

Though the first album I ever owned was some funky 12" split my Aunt passed down to me, Hendrix on one side and Iron Butterfly on the other. It was a tad too heavy for a five yr old to soak in. I actually remember hearing music back then but I can't say it influenced me. I have memories of my Mom driving us around in her big old Plymouth, me strapped into one of the 70's child car seats. The giant chromed steel ones with vinyl material over thin foam rubber to cover the metal, REAL SAFE :D. Anyway I remember hearing stuff like Horse With No Name and Heart Of Gold on the AM stations my Mom listened to.

I don't think anyone should ever write off any genre of music as an artist might come along that will just grab you and make you at least appreciate the music.

Santana, got me into rock music and rock well it can have about any genre you can think of in it, folk rock, country rock, etc.

When I first heard the music of Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash it made me appreciate country and realize there is good country out there.

This one is more recent but Townes Van Zandt and more specifically the Townes album Live at the old Quarter kind of blew my mind.

So what are artists or bands that have opened new doors for you in musical terms or which have blown your mind so to speak?

How's it going "Rock N' Rollin' Man" as well as our fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? I hope that the week is treating all of you well. This is a very good question. The bands that influenced my musical taste were: ELVIS PRESLEY, BUDDY HOLLY, CHUCK BERRY, FATS DOMINO, RITCHIE VALENS, LITTLE RICHARD, THE BEATLES, THE BEACH BOYS, THE ROLLING STONES, THE YARDBIRDS, THE KINKS, THE WHO, JEFFERSON AIRPLANE, SANTANA, PINK FLOYD, THE GRATEFUL DEAD, STEVE MILLER, JIMI HENDRIX, JANIS JOPLIN, CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL, FLEETWOOD MAC, IKE & TINA TURNER, LED ZEPPELIN, BLACK SABBATH, CREAM, THE FOUR TOPS, THE TEMPTATIONS, MARVIN GAYE, JUNIOR WALKER, SMOKEY ROBINSON, DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES & THE JACKSON 5 to name a few. I know that there are many other bands that come to mind but I'll let the rest of you mention some of them. One thing that I can say about all of these artists that I mentioned is that they all have their own special blend and unique style of sound. And because of this, they contributed a great deal to popular music resulting in leaving their mark in music history. ROCK ON!

For me it all started in the 60s...

1. Beatles, Dylan, Phil Ochs, Simon & Garfunkel (thanks to elder sister).
  2. Marvin Gaye, Tammi Terrell, Wonder, etc. (thanks to a close friend)
  3. Then came Joni Mitchell who inspired me to learn to play the acoustic guitar.
  4. Puccini (Mme. Butterfly), got me interested in joining a choral group in high school.
  5. College years, I first appreciated Beethoven, Chopin, etc.
  6. Then musical theatre, (transcribed for the guitar) esp. West Side Story, Carousel, Hair, Jesus Christ Superstar, just to name a few. I spent a heck of a lotta $$$ @ the store on sheet music. :( But it was worth it.
  7. Ancient music (e.g., Renaissance music--John Dowland, especially, and mediæval troubadour music)
  8. Then, my very favorite band...Led Zeppelin, so many facets in their music! as we all know. I got into them later in life. Oh but I always loved their biggies when they first came out (Stairway to Heaven, Goin' To California and Kashmir)
  9. Nowadays I can't stop listening to solo works by its members, especially Midnight Moonlight (The Firm) and Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us (Robert Plant & Alison Krauss.) :)

Edited to add the last item. ;)

Led Zeppelin - My favorite band ever. The greatest band that will ever be

Pink Floyd - Completely blew my mind. Especially Piper. I love Syd Barrett

The Beatles - What can ya say. One of the greatest bands ever

The Rolling Stones - I go through phases where I say I love the Stones more than the Beatles and vice versa

The Doors - Made my mom finally appreciate them after years of disliking them.

The Velvet Underground - Unbelievable that they sold so few records. Really are one of the best.

The Stooges - I remember reading about them in an encyclopedia on Rock and Roll and thought they sounded wild. Well, they certainly are. Another band that should've been more popular.

The Grateful Dead - A real favorite of mine. One of the very best bands.

Nick Drake - My favorite folk artist. His albums are some of my favorite albums right after all the Zeppelin albums.

The Who - What an amazing band. I love The Who.

The Band - Heavily underrated. What an amazing combination of musical talents they were.

The Black Crowes - Without a doubt, one of my favorite bands. They're up there with Zeppelin as far as I'm concerned.

Bob Dylan - One of the greatest artists ever. Some people hate Dylan's voice but I love it.

Miles Davis - The man who got me into Jazz

Jimi Hendrix Experience - My favorite trio (along with Cream)

Robert Johnson - The Blues master!!

Bob Marley - The ultimate Reggae artist

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On thoroughly blew my mind. One of the best voices ever.

For me it was AC/DC.

I grew up listening to old fashioned country, as a result of my parents listening to it constantly. I had an uncle in his 20's that had all kinds of cassettes. He had many many many cassettes in all kinds of genres (I guess that's why my collection is like that too). I couldn't listen to them all, he'd let me take 1 cassette home with me every time we visited him and I returned it the following week (he lived a couple of hours away). One band really stood out. I didn't know the name because the print was worn off, just like all cassettes eventually (unless you put tape over it).

I use to hook up a car battery charger to a automobile cassette player to an old automobile speaker ON THE kitchen table (about 5 months later I had my first cassette player for xmas). He let me take the album home and I played it for about a month or so before I found out who it was. It was AC/DC and the album was Highway To Hell. I guess I could have played the cassette in front of him and he could have told me who it was, but I was very young and didn't think about that. :slapface:

... although looking back on the situation now, he was very obsessed with his cassettes and insisted I bring them back weekly, so I may have taken the cassette without him knowing. Which would explain me not asking who they were.

:buttsmack:

... but I did return the cassette when I bought my own from one of those mail order music companies.... either Columbia House or BMG Music.

Archived