"Essential" 100 Classic Rock Songs

Listening to my XM Satellite Radio(best $40 I ever spent! :D), over the weekend my favorite channel, Classic Vinyl, did a countdown of the Essential 100 Classic Rock songs. In the previous weeks, listeners sent in their votes by e-mail(so this list isn't my opinion). Here is the list for you to view:

100. Back In the USSR-Beatles

99. I Heard It Through the Grapevine-CCR

98. Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)-Rolling Stones

97. Wish You Were Here-Pink Floyd

96. Whiter Shade of Pale-Procol Harum

95. I’ve Seen All Good People-Yes

94. D’yer Mak’er-Led Zeppelin

93. Band on the Run-Paul McCartney & Wings

92. Highway Star-Deep Purple

91. Born to be Wild-Steppenwolf

90. Touch Me-Doors

89. You Make Loving Fun-Fleetwood Mac

88. Maggie Mae-Rod Stewart

87. Gimme Shelter-Rolling Stones

86. All Along the Watchtower-Jimi Hendrix

85. Birthday-Beatles

84. China Grove-Doobie Brothers

83. Riders on the Storm-Doors

82. Speak to Me/Breath/On the Run-Pink Floyd

81. Ramble On-Led Zeppelin

80. White Room-Cream

79. For What It’s Worth-Buffalo Springfield

78. You Can’t Always Get What You Want-Rolling Stones

77. Dear Mr. Fantasy-Traffic

76. Sweet Home Alabama-Lynyrd Skynyrd

75. My Sweet Lord-George Harrison

74. Somebody to Love-Jefferson Airplane

73. Magic Bus-Who

72. Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid(She’s Just a Woman)-Led Zeppelin

71. Whipping Post-Allman Brothers

70. Let’s Spend the Night Together-Rolling Stones

69. Smoke on the Water-Deep Purple

68. We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions-Queen

67. Get Back-Beatles

66. Love Me 2 Times-Doors

65. Tuesday Afternoon-Moody Blues

64. Take It Easy-Eagles

63. Cocaine-Eric Clapton

62. Truckin’-Grateful Dead

61. Heart of Gold-Neil Young

60. Imagine-John Lennon

59. Come Together-Beatles

58. Whole Lotta Love-Led Zeppelin

57. Teach Your Children-CS&N

56. Green River-CCR

55. Listen to the Music-Doobie Brothers

54. Ramblin’ Man-Allman Brothers

53. Roundabout-Yes

52. It’s Only Rock’n’Roll-Rolling Stones

51. Who are You-Who

50. Foxey Lady-Jimi Hendrix

49. Good Times Bad Times-Led Zeppelin

48. Black Water-Doobie Brothers

47. Brown-Eyed Girl-Van Morrison

46. Rhiannon-Fleetwood Mac

45. Us+ Them/Any Colour/Brain Damage/Eclipse-Pink Floyd

44. Hey Jude-Beatles

43. Love Her Madly-Doors

42. Sunshine of Your Love-Cream

41. Woodstock-CSN&Y

40. Down By the River-Neil Young

39. Can’t You Hear Me Knocking?-Rolling Stones

38. Walk This Way-Aerosmith

37. Proud Mary-CCR

36. Purple Haze-Jimi Hendrix

35. Black Dog-Led Zeppelin

34. Nights in White Satin-Moody Blues

33. Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band/With a Little Help From My Friends-Beatles

32. Like a Rolling Stone-Bob Dylan

31. L.A. Woman-Doors

30. Pinball Wizard-Who

29. Dream On-Aerosmith

28. Gimme 3 Steps-Lynyrd Skynyrd

27. Brown Sugar-Rolling Stones

26. Life in the Fast Lane-Eagles

25. Go Your Own Way-Fleetwood Mac

24. Kashmir-Led Zeppelin

23. Jessica-Allman Brothers

22. Revolution-Beatles

21. Bad Moon Rising-CCR

20. Hey Joe-Jimi Hendrix

19. Money-Pink Floyd

18. Cinnamon Girl-Neil Young

17. My Woman from Tokyo-Deep Purple

16. Baba O’Riley-Who

15. Sympathy for the Devil-Rolling Stones

14. Rock’n’Roll-Led Zeppelin

13. While My Guitar Gently Weeps-Beatles

12. Bohemian Rhapsody-Queen

11. Light My Fire-Doors

10. Suite: Judy Blue-Eyes-CS&N

9. Born to Run-Bruce Springsteen

8. Free Bird-Lynyrd Skynyrd

7. Layla-Derek & the Dominoes

6. Time-Pink Floyd

5. Sergeant Peppers’ Lonely Hearts Club Band(Reprise)/A Day in the Life-Beatles

4. Satisfaction-Rolling Stones

3. Stairway to Heaven-Led Zeppelin (I am sorry?! :huh:)

2. Hotel California-Eagles

1. Won’t Get Fooled Again-Who (Again, I am sorry?! :huh::guns::wall:)

So, what do you think? What changes do you think should've been made(other than the obvious)? What should/should not be here? Do you think Stairway to Heaven should be #1?

:peace:,

Jo

It's just a list, who cares. It's very subjective. I wouldn't put either Starway or Fooled as #1. :D

What I was thinking Swede. And I am really surprised that D'yer Maker made an appearance :huh:

I love Won't Get Fooled Again

But there is no way anyone could possibly think its better than stairway to heaven!!!

Why not? Taste is subjective. I personally like Stairway better but that doesn't make it a better song.

I never got riled up over these lists. They don't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

What I was thinking Swede. And I am really surprised that D'yer Maker made an appearance :huh:

That blew my mind when i saw D'yer Mak'er...i really like that song but i never really though it would be on any best of something list :huh:

Great to see Time by Pink Floyd in the Top 10, I think it's the 2nd best song on the album (following Us and Them). That said, where the hell is Comfortably Numb?

As for STH not being #1........just my personal opinion here. Stairway To Heaven does not need to be #1 on every single silly list and poll and survey out there. Every time one of these comes out and it's not #1, someone has to have a problem with it. It's like clockwork. IMHO, it's not even the best song on the album. I'd give that nod to WTLB.

I just thought I might point out that a Led Zeppelin song was knocked off the top spot by a Who song. :o Those who have so far posted are debating about which Zep songs appeared on the list and why. :coffee: Most of you will agree with me that there is no way the Who is better than Zeppelin. I'm just afraid that Zep's fans are lagging. :unsure: I hope not!

Jo

I just thought I might point out that a Led Zeppelin song was knocked off the top spot by a Who song. :o Those who have so far posted are debating about which Zep songs appeared on the list and why. :coffee: Most of you will agree with me that there is no way the Who is better than Zeppelin. I'm just afraid that Zep's fans are lagging. :unsure: I hope not!

:peace: ,

Jo

What do you mean, you're afraid Zep's fans are lagging? What are we supposed to be doing that we apparently are not?

If someone thinks The Who are better than Led Zeppelin, that's their opinion. They are neither right nor wrong. If someone thinks Led Zeppelin is better than The Who, that's their opinion. They are neither right nor wrong. This is subjective. That means, there is no right answer. Why is anyone getting their nose out of joint over some silly list that at the end of the day means absolutely nothing?

Jo

Some people like the Who better, some don't. Doesn't mean anything.

Jo

I listen more to the Who then Led Zeppelin. I don't even know if Led Zeppelin is in my top 10 anymore, though it used to be back in the days when I discovered them. It's all subjective. EVERYONE doesn't regard Led Zeppelin as the best band in the world. Why care? I have never understood the point in arguing which band is better then the other. Like Jahfin use to say, it's no contest.

What do you mean, you're afraid Zep's fans are lagging? What are we supposed to be doing that we apparently are not?

If someone thinks The Who are better than Led Zeppelin, that's their opinion. They are neither right nor wrong. If someone thinks Led Zeppelin is better than The Who, that's their opinion. They are neither right nor wrong. This is subjective. That means, there is no right answer. Why is anyone getting their nose out of joint over some silly list that at the end of the day means absolutely nothing?

I meant that maybe, for whatever reason, some fans are getting disillusioned with the band. Sometimes things get old after a while. I didn't think you guys would get so irritated at my posting this list. I am now beginning to regret it. :tears:

Jo

It really is pointless looking into all the details on a list like this one, because the subjective element is bound to play a very big role in the actual placing of the songs, and to quite some extent in the selection itself. As I see it, a list is good if there's a lot of good music on it. There is on this one, so it's all right. My own would still be very different - and I would certainly never have included D'yer Mak'er.

Ain't that the truth!

I'll second that LOL

I meant that maybe, for whatever reason, some fans are getting disillusioned with the band. Sometimes things get old after a while. I didn't think you guys would get so irritated at my posting this list. I am now beginning to regret it. :tears:

Jo

Not irritated at all, just responding to your comments about the list. Don't take it so personally. People just think different. :D

Jo

I don't think that's the case at all - depends on who voted. At any rate, really doesn't matter. You don't have to regret posting the list - the comments made aren't directed at you personally - just people expressing their opinions :)

I don't think that's the case at all - depends on who voted. At any rate, really doesn't matter. You don't have to regret posting the list - the comments made aren't directed at you personally - just people expressing their opinions :)

Yeah, you're right..thanks for making me feel a bit better. :console:

Jo

Archived