JOHN PAUL JONES New Project

The Pagemeister

The Guardian Aug 5, 2009

Foo Fighters, Led Zeppelin and Queens of the Stone Age Supergroup Named

Them Crooked Vultures, the hard-rock trio featuring Dave Grohl, John Paul Jones and Josh Homme, are to make their live debut this weekend

by Dan Martin

The long-rumoured supergroup featuring Dave Grohl, John Paul Jones and Josh Homme has been named, and the band are set to make their live debut this weekend.

The trio, whose collaboration was leaked last month, are called Them Crooked Vultures. They will apparently make their worldwide debut on Sunday (9 August) at an afterparty for the Lollapalooza festival in Chicago.

Last week, a holding site in what is believed to be the new band's name was launched without announcement, with the cryptic message "deserve the future".

Then on Tuesday, fans on the Lollapolooza mailing list were invited to apply for tickets for a show at the Metro Venue this Sunday. Although no band name is listed, the logos for Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age and Led Zeppelin appear alongside each other. Tickets go on sale at 10am on Thursday (6 August) and are limited to two per person.

Sources close to Grohl, Homme and Jones are insisting that the gig does not represent confirmation that the supergroup will continue to play live or will necessarily lead to an album, saying that the band is merely "a few friends talking". But it is understood that the musicians have been working together on and off for the last three years.

Supergroup ? Oh come on !

Back in 1999-2000 when JPJ toured with ex-Bauhaus drummer Terl Bryant and ex-Kajagoogoo guitarist/bassist Nick Beggs it wasn't billed as a Supergroup. These two musicians playing with Jonesy far exceeded Grohl's and Homme's musical abilities.

I grow weary of this 'supergroup' hype !

supergroup defined: rock group with famous members; a rock music group whose performers are already famous from having performed individually or in other groups.

As brilliant and popular as Terl and Nick are, they were not "already famous". Then

again, neither is Homme.

As far as 'popularity' of the members, ho-hum, but the real proof will be in the pudding.

Let's see how the music is they perform. Indeed, I'm curious about that.

The music is always what counts. The hype is the result of media outlets looking for headlines.

The music is always what counts. The hype is the result of media outlets looking for headlines.

I'm praying to the gods they open Sunday night's show with Maria Muldaur's 'Midnight At The Oasis' (which JPJ performed with her during the Montreux Jazz Festival on 7/20/75):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K-hF-Tlp0Y...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS_VlIhKn6c

No one will expect that! Then they can launch into two hours of Grohl's caterwauling.

I'm praying to the gods they open Sunday night's show with Maria Muhldar's 'Midnight At The Oasis' (which JPJ performed with her during the Montreux Jazz Festival on 7/20/75):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K-hF-Tlp0Y...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS_VlIhKn6c

No one will expect that! Then they can launch into two hours of Grohl's caterwauling.

Is Grohl going to be the singer? Seems to me that would detract from his drumming even if he has pulled double duty in the past. Now that he is in a rhythm section with JPJ where John Bonham once was i wonder if he would want to put all of his efforts into drumming.

Is Grohl going to be the singer? Seems to me that would detract from his drumming even if he has pulled double duty in the past. Now that he is in a rhythm section with JPJ where John Bonham once was i wonder if he would want to put all of his efforts into drumming.

Very good point. Knowing that he will be playing with an extraordinary Bass player, i would expect Grohl would indeed be playing very close attention to his drumming.

Very good point. Knowing that he will be playing with an extraordinary Bass player, i would expect Grohl would indeed be playing very close attention to his drumming.

The extraordinary bass player could sing 'Angry Angry'. 'Ice Fishing At Night' won't

make the setlist.

Why are they just playing at an "after party?"

Speaking for myself, I'd say it's the ideal arrangement. For one thing, there's a fairly

large press contingent already in place covering the festival. Secondly, it's a good venue for an initimate gig. Thirdly, Chicago is a major market for rock music. Lastly,

you've got to start somewhere.

Prior to JPJs project, there were no plans for Zep to tour at all.

I know, I know. It just seems to me that the more involved the members of Zep get with other bands and projects, the farther away they get from getting back together. I'm not a huge fan of Grohl or or Homme either. I wish all the members would just drop all the other rubbish and get back together.

I know, I know. It just seems to me that the more involved the members of Zep get with other bands and projects, the farther away they get from getting back together. I'm not a huge fan of Grohl or or Homme either. I wish all the members would just drop all the other rubbish and get back together.

That's a bit too strong.

But they were never intending to get together after the 02 show. That was a one-off for a specific reason. I'd hardly call what they've done on their own rubbish.

I wish all the members would just drop all the other rubbish and get back together.

Jimmy, JPJ and Jason decided to go their separate ways (musically) months ago. You

call it rubbish, but many take joy in knowing JPJ is moving under moonlight in Chicago

this weekend. In so doing the evolution of Led Zeppelin continues, if indirectly. He is

not among those who never deserved the future.

There are a lot of a fake links and fake audio clips surfacing; motives may vary.

Noticed that one of the comments says that it was also on Sirius. Not that makes it positively the real thing. It does sound pretty cool. Add in some lyrics and it could be really good.

I can't wait to see what happens tonight and I really hope they come to the UK at some point. I haven't been this excited since 2007!

I wonder if they will play any stuff from their respective bands. I'd love to hear some of JPJ's solo work live. No doubt there will be a Led Zeppelin cover of some sort as Dave Grohl said how much he wanted to drum for Zeppelin [and sort of did last year].

JPJ = God, whatever new material comes out I bet it will be magnificent!

Archived