FOR WOMEN ONLY

slave to zep

4 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Hi Julie,

The symptoms have eased. I had to take one tablet of ibuprofen, last night and after a good night's sleep, I felt much better today! :)

How are you? It's been a while since we spoke. I hope you're doing well! :wave: 

Yes ,  I  don't post here very much.

I'm well but sick of my job. I'm turning 56 in a few weeks and I keep thinking I'm wasting my life. But those bills keep coming!

How's things with you? 

On 4/17/2018 at 11:57 PM, slave to zep said:

Yes ,  I  don't post here very much.

I'm well but sick of my job. I'm turning 56 in a few weeks and I keep thinking I'm wasting my life. But those bills keep coming!

How's things with you? 

I post sporadically, these days.

Julie, why don't you retire and start enjoying life? I mean, you've worked hard for decades and now, perhaps it's time to put your feet up?

I'm doing well. I love my job in Analytics, but sometimes things get so overwhelming. I have been working for nearly 2 years now. The corporate world is OK but I really miss the world of Academia. I am planning to go back to school in a couple of years and get a second Master's degree, hopefully followed by a PhD. 

10 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

I post sporadically, these days.

Julie, why don't you retire and start enjoying life? I mean, you've worked hard for decades and now, perhaps it's time to put your feet up?

I'm doing well. I love my job in Analytics, but sometimes things get so overwhelming. I have been working for nearly 2 years now. The corporate world is OK but I really miss the world of Academia. I am planning to go back to school in a couple of years and get a second Master's degree, hopefully followed by a PhD. 

I'd love to retire  but that would put all the pressure onto my husband and that's not fair. We wouldn't beable to go to concerts etc and money would be so tight. We live very simply but when I  was a single Mum I could never afford concerts or anything other than just living. I don't want to go back to that. I clock up 15 years in this job in October,  and I hope to cut back a little next year.

OK. I have to admit. PMS really screwed with me this month. I have never experienced it, to this extent. The physical symptoms eased quickly but I became mentally disturbed. I was in a horrific state of mind. I stopped enjoying my work. I found it difficult to concentrate. I went to bed early but woke up, feeling fatigued, sad and irritable. I became so jumpy. The weather wasn't exactly helping either. It is so hot and humid. I used to have dark thoughts every night, such as : I am worthless. I am a failure. I am not afraid to die. Even if I die tomorrow, no one will care. I am better off dead. Not sure where the hell these thoughts even came from! :wacko: 

This unfortunately lasted for slightly more than a week. I got my period today and I am (at last) feeling relaxed and positive. I am no longer feeling like a basket case. I feel normal and happy. 

Edited to add: I had a very bad attack of the flu a few weeks ago before these PMS symptoms set in. I have read that the physical fatigue from the flu does last for weeks. Maybe things got aggravated because of this? Hmmmm...

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:26 PM, Strider said:

Speaking of Aunt Flo, this is the latest rage among my lady friends.

INTIMINA_Ziggy-packaging_500x500_171129-500x500.jpg.3685ee11fed3900d16aee9e1f9d91c3b.jpg

:huh:  The Ziggy Cup ?  Man, I'm out of the loop !  Who came up with that name ?  Venus Fly Trap would seem more appropriate.  Infinite possibilities ???  By gosh I'll never complain when she asks me to apply the K-Y jelly again !   

5 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

OK. I have to admit. PMS really screwed with me this month. I have never experienced it, to this extent. The physical symptoms eased quickly but I became mentally disturbed. I was in a horrific state of mind. I stopped enjoying my work. I found it difficult to concentrate. I went to bed early but woke up, feeling fatigued, sad and irritable. I became so jumpy. The weather wasn't exactly helping either. It is so hot and humid. I used to have dark thoughts every night, such as : I am worthless. I am a failure. I am not afraid to die. Even if I die tomorrow, no one will care. I am better off dead. Not sure where the hell these thoughts even came from! :wacko: 

This unfortunately lasted for slightly more than a week. I got my period today and I am (at last) feeling relaxed and positive. I am no longer feeling like a basket case. I feel normal and happy. 

Edited to add: I had a very bad attack of the flu a few weeks ago before these PMS symptoms set in. I have read that the physical fatigue from the flu does last for weeks. Maybe things got aggravated because of this? Hmmmm...

Kiwi, I'm sorry for your horrible PMS. I'm pretty sure that we all have these worthless thoughts from time to time.
Sometimes the hormonal cocktail is a tsunami, very hard to sail.

The good thing about getting older is that more than 30 years of period terror comes to an end.
And I never had much problems, no PMS, not much pain. But it's soooo annoying.  God, how I hated it.

@Slave to Zep: I'm sorry to hear that the stupid hot flushes are still annoying you. Happy to hear you found some herbal help.

I had hot flushes only a few times for about a year at the end of my forties. I was able to breathe them away, reduced them down to 20-30 seconds. So it was ok for me. Haven't had them for years.

Free at last  :cheer::cheer::cheer: Oh, and the contraception issue is solved, too :hurrah: (But I needed quite a time to relax ...)
Edited by LedZed66

12 hours ago, LedZed66 said:

Kiwi, I'm sorry for your horrible PMS. I'm pretty sure that we all have these worthless thoughts from time to time.

The good thing about getting older is that more than 30 years of period terror comes to an end.
And I never had much problems, no PMS, not much pain. But it's soooo annoying.  God, how I hated it.

Thanks so much for your post! :wave: My cramps aren't too severe. It goes away after an hour or two. My poor friend at work gets horrid cramps and she has to take a day off sometimes, when things become unbearable! :( 

It is these mood swings that have really scared me. I must confess that I took a day off from work on Friday to figure out what was going on with me, only to realize that it was PMS, all along. I'll be lying if I said I wasn't really relieved! :D 

22 hours ago, LedZed66 said:

@Slave to Zep: I'm sorry to hear that the stupid hot flushes are still annoying you. Happy to hear you found some herbal help.

I had hot flushes only a few times for about a year at the end of my forties. I was able to breathe them away, reduced them down to 20-30 seconds. So it was ok for me. Haven't had them for years.

Free at last  :cheer::cheer::cheer: Oh, and the contraception issue is solved, too :hurrah: (But I needed quite a time to relax ...)

To tell you the truth, it's a relief for the men, too. 

• 10 months later...

Hi all! :wave:

I am bringing this thread up for all those women and girls out there, who (like me) struggle with menstrual cramps. I used to get pretty intense cramps and I hate taking pain killers unnecessarily. Ibuprofen has proven to be pretty ineffective.

This month, I tried a new strategy. About 3 days before my period was due, I took 1 activated charcoal tablet (before bed time). It reduced the propensity to bloat and feel gassy as my period due date approached and it worked! I experienced a bit of discomfort on day 1 for probably a few hours (on and off) and by day two, those pesky cramps didn't rear their ugly head!

This is a strategy that I had to share. I used to feel lousy during my period. Now, the intensity of the cramps has definitely reduced!

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:47 AM, Bong-Man said:

:huh:  The Ziggy Cup ?  Man, I'm out of the loop !  Who came up with that name ?  Venus Fly Trap would seem more appropriate.  Infinite possibilities ???  By gosh I'll never complain when she asks me to apply the K-Y jelly again !   

https://reusablemenstrualcup.com/menstrual-cup-faqs/tips-the-ziggy-cup/

Personally, I don't understand all the fuss. I never had a problem getting down with the sweet lovin when the red river starts to flow, I just felt immensely blessed that a woman would even allow me the opportunity to access the honey pot in the first place.

• 8 months later...

Does menopause make women so crabby that their personality changes completely?!

I ask, as I am trying very hard to understand. My mum is pushing 60 and well, at times I feel as if I have to walk on egg shells while interacting with her.

Like the other day, I was just minding my own business and was busy with stuff, when she suddenly asks me if I am about to get my period, as I (according to her) have been acting like a bitch lately. That really hurt and I felt that it was totally out of line and very rude and insulting, but I just kept quiet and said nothing!

I absolutely hate negative thinking and negative feeling, as I myself am recovering from a very serious bout of depression, where a few months ago, to me, life was just a big black hole. But I am finally recovering. But at times, my mum just triggers me with her horrid words!

Also, does old age make men crabby too? I mean I am facing the same situation with my dad.

I have to think twice before I say anything to either of them. 

I know that I shouldn't be talking like this, but it is just so depressing encountering things like this. Why does everything have to have a bleak outlook or be a problem?

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

15 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Does menopause make women so crabby that their personality changes completely?!

I ask, as I am trying very hard to understand. My mum is pushing 60 and well, at times I feel as if I have to walk on egg shells while interacting with her.

Like the other day, I was just minding my own business and was busy with stuff, when she suddenly asks me if I am about to get my period, as I (according to her) have been acting like a bitch lately. That really hurt and I felt that it was totally out of line and very rude and insulting, but I just kept quiet and said nothing!

I absolutely hate negative thinking and negative feeling, as I myself am recovering from a very serious bout of depression, where a few months ago, to me, life was just a big black hole. But I am finally recovering. But at times, my mum just triggers me with her horrid words!

Also, does old age make men crabby too? I mean I am facing the same situation with my dad.

I have to think twice before I say anything to either of them. 

I know that I shouldn't be talking like this, but it is just so depressing encountering things like this. Why does everything have to have a bleak outlook or be a problem?

So sorry you're dealing with this P!  I like to think that I'm the same, sunny, cheery self I've always been, even though I'm way past menopause and on the other side of 60!  Although if you ask anyone I know, I'm fairly certain those words would not come up in describing me :D 

I don't know if you feel comfortable asking your parents about what's happening.  In my experience, aging itself hasn't been a source of personality change.  Maybe they're facing something that they haven't told you about? 

I hope you're taking care of yourself and I'm glad you're recovering from your bout with depression.  Please continue to look after yourself...and please don't feel you can't vent here.  If you feel like "talking like this", talk away!  I just wish I could offer some concrete advice, but I'm pretty terrible at that.  But I'll always listen.

xo