FOR WOMEN ONLY

slave to zep

I think that overall much has to do with how aggressive a particular cancer is, and how strong a person's immune system is.

One person with a weak immune system might survive a milder form of cancer, whereas someone with even a strong immune system might succumb to a really aggressive form of cancer.

scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=clues-to-aggressive-stubb

utsouthwestern.edu/findfac/research/0,2357,39254,00

Edited by eternal light

Thanks for the all comments to my posting from earlier today. I think an internet forum such as this one (which was created for another purposes) is the wrong place to elaborate in depth about all the pros and cons coming with either approach. I will therefore not continue to post here.

Just a very last comment, because I don't want to be misunderstood: I completely agree with your statements saying that there is no universal solution to this problem. What might work for one person, does not necessarily work for another one. My general point was, that I think that it's very important to make an educated decision - whatever that may be.

Thank you both for the positive wishes.

i created this thread for the purpose of helping eachother out with ideas, anecdotes and information. your post is entirely fitting, please continue. i for one am most interested to hear more. ( if you want to, of course!)

dove is great, i use that sometimes. oh you poor thing, acne! both my kids had it quite bad and went to a dermatologist. they were both put on the same drug ( cant remember the name ) it's quite strong, but they had no side effects, and it cleared it up well.

My doc put me on Benzaclin. which is topical antibiotics. I didn't want to be "put on antibiotics", so I opted for cream.

Here's my problem: I've tried everything, and it works, my skin clears up & I look pretty good....

For about two weeks.

Mom says it's just hormone cycles, and it may be, but I try to start something new at different times..uh..of the month, and it's always the same thing.

Can skin become immune to acne meds??

My doc put me on Benzaclin. which is topical antibiotics. I didn't want to be "put on antibiotics", so I opted for cream.

Here's my problem: I've tried everything, and it works, my skin clears up & I look pretty good....

For about two weeks.

Mom says it's just hormone cycles, and it may be, but I try to start something new at different times..uh..of the month, and it's always the same thing.

Can skin become immune to acne meds??

I've heard it can be, but from personal experience no.

Thanks for the all comments to my posting from earlier today. I think an internet forum such as this one (which was created for another purposes) is the wrong place to elaborate in depth about all the pros and cons coming with either approach. I will therefore not continue to post here.

Just a very last comment, because I don't want to be misunderstood: I completely agree with your statements saying that there is no universal solution to this problem. What might work for one person, does not necessarily work for another one. My general point was, that I think that it's very important to make an educated decision - whatever that may be.

Thank you both for the positive wishes.

Will add to the positive wishes for your wife. I think it's always good to explore all your options and get as much information as you can when combating any sort of illness. Certainly eating healthy is beneficial for all of us for a myriad of reasons.

Clinique makes a great line of skin care products. Face washes, toners, astringents, make-up removers, moisturizers.....the whole nine yards. My sister has VERY sensitive skin and uses them religiously and one time while were road-tripping, I had no choice but to use her products as I'd left mine at home.

I have used Clinique's products ever since.

Cool, my mom manufactures Clinique products.

As for acne, well the thing is if you continue using the medicated creams, like every day, it does get immune to it a little bit. But if you use it for the occasional pimple that pops out once in a while, it works great for that.

I also send positive wishes your way, TonyIommi

Edited by DeepBlackZeppelin

i created this thread for the purpose of helping eachother out with ideas, anecdotes and information. your post is entirely fitting, please continue. i for one am most interested to hear more. ( if you want to, of course!)

Okay, thanks for the clarification and encouragement. As I explained yesterday, a lot has happened since we learned about my wife's breast cancer back in early March of this year. It was - and, of course, still is - quite a journey we're on. Maybe you're right and somebody might benefit from our experience. As soon as my time allows, I will put something together describing what we did and why we did it that way. I got to be careful, though, and I guess you figured that by now :rolleyes: : I'm not a native English speaker and therefore my choice of words, the structure of my phrasing plus the general lack of eloquence sometimes lead to misunderstandings. Anyway, I'll give it a shot once I get to free up some time.

Will add to the positive wishes for your wife. I think it's always good to explore all your options and get as much information as you can when combating any sort of illness. Certainly eating healthy is beneficial for all of us for a myriad of reasons.

Precisely - I couldn't agree more. Thank you for the wishes.

(...)

I also send positive wishes your way, TonyIommi

Thank you very much - greatly appreciated.

On the subject of acne, please tell me these post-acne marks will go away....eventually.

You know those red dots that appear on the skin after a pimple is gone.

I swear I don't pick at my pimples. I don't really have an acne problem any more either, it's just the marks afterwards.

And Tony, I agree with slave to zep and mandy

Edited by DeepBlackZeppelin

rabia, they will fade with time. They don't always go all the way away and I know that isn't what you want to hear. It's like stretch marks, they fade but they will never completely disappear.

Ok thanks for telling me, I heard Vitamin E helps a bit, many times but I have no proof

I hate that too, Rabia.

I only break out on my chin, and only during that special week. By the time I look normal again, they start up again, dangit!

Oh yes, I wish it'd stay in the puberty years and not come back after that :slapface:

Ok thanks for telling me, I heard Vitamin E helps a bit, many times but I have no proof

My dermatologist recommended Vitamin E oil for surgery scars, so it might help with acne scars--it's very good for your skin, anyway! Didn't do much for my scar, but it was an old one.

Cocoa butter is really good for your skin.

I'm really bad about applying lotions and cremes, etc., so I guess I'm not the one to ask. I live in a dry, dry climate, and we have very hard water, so I should totally be using lotion on a daily basis, but I just don't. I don't like how if your skin gets wet, you're all slimy.

While were on the topic of skin care, I need some advice. I'm 20 so I don't really have an acne problem anymore, besides those few pimples here and there. But I have noticed some red blotchiness on my face. Mainly around my nose and chin. It's also a little dry. I use typical acne medicine because it's what im used to using from my high school days, but I'm getting the feeling I need something more. Should I be using scrub, medicated wash, moisturizer, all three, something else, HELP! Also I'm strapped for cash, so it needs to be somewhat cheap.

While were on the topic of skin care, I need some advice. I'm 20 so I don't really have an acne problem anymore, besides those few pimples here and there. But I have noticed some red blotchiness on my face. Mainly around my nose and chin. It's also a little dry. I use typical acne medicine because it's what im used to using from my high school days, but I'm getting the feeling I need something more. Should I be using scrub, medicated wash, moisturizer, all three, something else, HELP! Also I'm strapped for cash, so it needs to be somewhat cheap.

There is a line of Aveeno facial skin care for redness; you may want to give that a try. Aveeno is a in the $12-15 range here; it is mild and works really well.

If the red areas are also bumpy, I'd suggest visiting the dermatologist, as it might be rosacea or perioral dermatitis.

There is a line of Aveeno facial skin care for redness; you may want to give that a try. Aveeno is a in the $12-15 range here; it is mild and works really well.

If the red areas are also bumpy, I'd suggest visiting the dermatologist, as it might be rosacea or perioral dermatitis.

:o $12 for 1 bottle or a kit? Is there anything in the St. Ives line for redness? :lol:

:o $12 for 1 bottle or a kit? Is there anything in the St. Ives line for redness? :lol:

I know, it is a little pricey; but it works really well, and a bottle of Aveeno moisturizer lasts me almost a year (you only need a tad). I should add that I'm one of those cheapskates who turns bottles upside down and scrapes every last bit out before tossing-especially pump dispensers, which usually stop pumping while there is still some product in the bottom (that's what Qtips were made for!).

You know, one thing I used to use was the Dove moisturizing HAND soap, in a pump dispenser. It worked really well and was gentle and inexpensive. I like foaming face cleanser better than bars, but it's hard to find, especially inexpensive lines. But I haven't been able to find the Dove *hand* soap recently. (The Facial stuff is out there but it costs more).

You might want to see if Burt's Bees makes anything for redness; I think they do, but I can't remember for sure. Their products are wonderful and not too expensive.

Edited by Virginia

Cocoa butter is really good for your skin.

I'm really bad about applying lotions and cremes, etc., so I guess I'm not the one to ask. I live in a dry, dry climate, and we have very hard water, so I should totally be using lotion on a daily basis, but I just don't. I don't like how if your skin gets wet, you're all slimy.

Lubriderm! Absorbs quickly, and bless their cotton socks, they make a fragrance-free version!! I love it, I use it by the bucketload. :D

I use good old Johnson & Johnson's Baby Lotion (the one in the pink bottle) after I shower. I love the stuff. I smell good AND since it's made for babies, there's no allergens or stuff in there that would make me break out. It's cheap as hell, as far as lotions go.

For moisturizers, I use Clinique. I've been blessed with perfect skin; by that I mean, I don't have acne problems and I never did as a teenager. I want to keep it that way. I wash my face with Noxzema every night and use the Clinique moisturizer in the morning after I wash my face.

I use good old Johnson & Johnson's Baby Lotion (the one in the pink bottle) after I shower. I love the stuff. I smell good AND since it's made for babies, there's no allergens or stuff in there that would make me break out. It's cheap as hell, as far as lotions go.

For moisturizers, I use Clinique. I've been blessed with perfect skin; by that I mean, I don't have acne problems and I never did as a teenager. I want to keep it that way. I wash my face with Noxzema every night and use the Clinique moisturizer in the morning after I wash my face.

I used to love Noxzema when I was a teenager. My skin tends to be dry and for whatever reason, Clinique bothers it, especially the soap and toner. I've had great success with Mario Bedescu - not expensive and has done wonders for my skin. But for cleanser I use the Duane Reade gentle skin cleanser.

I'm using noxzema right now and I think it might be making the dryness worse. I'm wondering since I don't have an acne problem, is the face wash to harsh (seeing as it's for acne), and possibly causing the redness? I do have some blackheads though, are there any recommended astringents?