just got my first bootleg CD

Hey everybody, i was in nyc and got two bootlegs. one of them is called Another Trip 1973 and features 5 songs from their chicago soundcheck and then the fist half of a 73 US show. I was wondering if anybody knows what show it is?

here's what the boot looks like and has the track listings:

http://starship.gotdns.com/zeppelin/beauty...t.jsp?R_idx=224

here's better artwork:

http://zeppelinart.com/browse.asp?dir=comp...rip+(big+music)

and btw the sound quality is amazing, i highly recommend it to everyone.

This is Big Music's "Another Trip" set from around 1995 or so. I have it. Most of the material sounds great. The highlight for me is a cover of the Beatles/Stones "Money" on the 5th disc from 6-30-80. Mind-blowing sound and a hell of a performance.

This is Big Music's "Another Trip" set from around 1995 or so. I have it. Most of the material sounds great. The highlight for me is a cover of the Beatles/Stones "Money" on the 5th disc from 6-30-80. Mind-blowing sound and a hell of a performance.

yea the store i was at had that disc as well and the 70-72 but i didnt have a lot of money so i decided to get the 1973 disc

yea the store i was at had that disc as well and the 70-72 but i didnt have a lot of money so i decided to get the 1973 disc

Ooooooh, I don't know...I think I would choose just about any Zep from 1970-72 over 1973.

But it sounds as if you picked a good one...can't tell from the art work what show it's from(other than the soundcheck ones of course, which I have on the Johnny Kidd & the Pirates cd) and it is a cd I have never come across. So I wouldn't be able to ascertain the origins until I heard them. Are they soundboards or audience?

Ok Eddie, I just found some info about your "Another Trip 1973" boot.

According to this website the soundcheck songs are from May 4, 1973 @ Atlanta Braves Stadium and the rest from "Rock and Roll' to "Rain Song" are from the July 29, 1973 MSG New York show.

That site is completely wrong. First off, the soundcheck with the 50s songs has never been firmed up as to its exact date. However, I've never heard Atlanta mentioned. It's either been from Chicago '73 or Minneapolis '75. The Another Trip booklet lists it as Chicago 7/6/73.

The NYC stuff, according to my Another Trip booklet, is from the July 29, 1973 show at Madison Square Garden. Essentially, it's the raw version of what ended up on The Song Remains The Same.

For my money, the 70-72 disc would have been a better get. It mostly has a bunch of stuff from one of the best boots of that era - the legendary Blueberry Hill show of 9/4/70 in LA - with Friends from Osaka and Moby Dick from the Toronto board, along with the no vocals outtake of No Quarter and the acoustic outtake of The Rover.

The '79-80 one is really good as well, with a great mix of stuff - Hot Dog from the first Knebworth show, then the rest from the 80 soundboards, ending with the last song they played - Whole Lotta Love from 7/7/80 in Berlin. Just a great box set that was executed in the manner which Page had always talked about doing himself.

I don't believe that soundcheck stuff is from Chicago, if you listen to the gig, Robert's voice is in pretty bad shape, but sounds good on the soundcheck. Can't be the same date. Still unconfirmed though.

Yes, Robert's vocal condition at the outset of the second leg of the '73 tour -- especially compared to how the first leg finished a month earlier -- was pretty rough. It wasn't great for that entire second leg and had a lot more signs of wearing and tearing in the NYC shows than he did at the end of May and early June from Denver-Salt Lake-San Diego-LA-SF-LA.

However, almost all of the stuff on that soundcheck is in a much lower register than the stuff he sang in concert in the 73 shows. Also, he sounds pretty crackly when they do the run-throughs of Wanton Song and Night Flight. It's plausible that it is Chicago. Also, it's possible it's from Minneapolis '75 from the drastic change in weather the band faced in January (poor booking, IMHO).

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Robert's vocal condition at the outset of the second leg of the '73 tour -- especially compared to how the first leg finished a month earlier -- was pretty rough. It wasn't great for that entire second leg and had a lot more signs of wearing and tearing in the NYC shows than he did at the end of May and early June from Denver-Salt Lake-San Diego-LA-SF-LA.

However, almost all of the stuff on that soundcheck is in a much lower register than the stuff he sang in concert in the 73 shows. Also, he sounds pretty crackly when they do the run-throughs of Wanton Song and Night Flight. It's plausible that it is Chicago. Also, it's possible it's from Minneapolis '75 from the drastic change in weather the band faced in January (poor booking, IMHO).

It's a nice burst of spontaneity though - Zep was always good at jamming...I have the whole 4 or 5 CD set for Another Trip. It's very nicely put together with a great colour booklet. Of course, hearing snatches of recordings from different periods has its plusses and minuses...chiefly - it makes you want to get the whole show somewhere else...enjoy!

Archived