Obscure late 60's and 70's hard rock.

So yeah once you dig deeper from the more famous bands like Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple there are some really great bands to be found from this era.

Some great bands to be found include:

Sir Lord Baltimore

Leaf Hound

Hurdy Gurdy

Josefus

Høst

Do you too like these bands or know of more.

try with some of those ;)

Budgie

Babe Ruth

Montrose

Captain Beyond

Heart

Camel

Leaf Hound

Cactus

Detective

Legs Diamond

Lucifer s Friend

Warhorse

Birth Control

Phantom s Divine Comedy

James Gang

Supersister

Ozark Mountain Daredevils

Clark Hutchinson

Jade Warrior

Keef Hartley Band

Armageddon

Open Mind

Stone the Crows

try with some of those ;)

Budgie

Babe Ruth

Montrose

Captain Beyond

Heart

Camel

Leaf Hound

Cactus

Detective

Legs Diamond

Lucifer s Friend

Warhorse

Birth Control

Phantom s Divine Comedy

James Gang

Supersister

Ozark Mountain Daredevils

Clark Hutchinson

Jade Warrior

Keef Hartley Band

Armageddon

Open Mind

Stone the Crows

I still have The Ozark Mountain Daredevels album---If you want to get to heaven you gotta raise a little hell....need to pull that one out and play it as it's been a while:-) Great Album

Does anyone remember a band called Janus?

They released one album on Harvest Records begin seventies called Gravedigger, which is now quite hard to get. They got thrown out of the Cavern Club in Liverpool for beeing too loud.

The original band were Colin Orr (Guitar/Keyboards), Roy Yates (Classical Guitar), Bruno Lord (Vocals), Derek Hyett (Vocals), Mick Peberdy (Bass) and Keith Bonthrone (Drums). Style was truly original, and it has been said that Janus were the originators of the genre that became "acoustic rock". That probably misses the fact, that like the name, the band had two very distinct, schizophrenic, sides. Capable of soft, beautiful melodies, they also cranked out some mega-decibel material.

Signed to EMI Harvest in 1970, in 1971 they recorded the classic "Gravedigger" album. Remarkably, the whole album, including mixing was put together in 24 hours of studio time. The band were almost another "J" statistic (you know, "Gravedigger" album coverartists with a "J" in the name dying early?), when Colin Orr fell asleep whilst driving the band back to their base in Holland from the session"

Same for Montrose, the James Gang and the Ozark Mountain Devils. Maybe not household names but they're hardly what I'd call "obscure".

Also, Budgie, Camel, Stone the Crows Cactus.........

A band from Florida called Bang. Check out their song "Questions":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD0N9P24LXs

BTY, their Bio on their official website says they were originally from the Philadelphia, Pa. area:

http://www.bangmusic.com/story.html

They have a Bang Guestbook/Forum section with some cool comments and stories:

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/guestbook/bang

The album cover was quite impressive... I had it.

I also saw Bang perform in Dallas. They were the opening band, followed by Canned Heat.... and then the final act... the Alice Cooper Band performing their glorious "KILLER" album. :D

The guitarist for Bang though it such an honon to be performing in front of almost 10,000 people, the, he wire a white tuxedo with tails.

Of course, I will mention the Hard Rock band from Ft. Worth, Texas... BLOODROCK.

But maybe Bloodrock was not that obscure to the rest of the Nation ? ? ?

I just remember being driven home in my friend's dad's car, and hearing D.O.A. for the first time.... it was awesome.... and just on an AM radio at that ! Sadly, I never got to see Bloodrock.

So yeah once you dig deeper from the more famous bands like Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple there are some really great bands to be found from this era.

Some great bands to be found include:

Sir Lord Baltimore

Leaf Hound

Hurdy Gurdy

Josefus

Høst

Do you too like these bands or know of more.

I have dug quite deep myself. There are some real gems out there and I've bought quite a few over the past few years.

Here's a good list: http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Arthurous/am..._from_68_to_75_

• 4 weeks later...

Not really obscure, but Blue Cheer is worth mentioning in this topic I think. They are most known for their version of Eddie Cochrans Summertime Blues (from their first 1968 album), but much of their output is rather obscure and includes some quite heavy stuff.

Not really obscure, but Blue Cheer is worth mentioning in this topic I think. They are most known for their version of Eddie Cochrans Summertime Blues (from their first 1968 album), but much of their output is rather obscure and includes some quite heavy stuff.

I love Blue Cheer!

Blue Cheer is a great band!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkbrkf9upsA

I love Blue Cheer!

LOL look at the video tags:

bluecheer.jpg

How obscure in USA these bands i dont know, but

Pentangle (early stuff 72-73)

Edgar Broughton band

Van der graf generator

The Deviants

Blodwyn pig

Mike Stuart span

Bakerloo blues line.

Of course youve all got the pretty things stuff right??

How obscure in USA these bands i dont know, but

Pentangle (early stuff 72-73)

Edgar Broughton band

Van der graf generator

The Deviants

Blodwyn pig

Mike Stuart span

Bakerloo blues line.

Of course youve all got the pretty things stuff right??

I meant Pentagram not pentangle, sorry

Archived