Thank You backing vox

Tea For One

On the studio recording of Thank You there is a very prominent harmony backing vocal. This doesn't sound like Plant at all. In some places Robert sounds very unsure of himself, and nearly drops out completely, leaving the sound of the harmony vocalist very high in the mix. Most unusual for Led Zeppelin I'd say. So who sang it? Was is Page or John Paul Jones, or somebody else?

Adam

It might have been John Bonham. Listen to him singing backing vox on "The Ocean" or "Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp" from the DVD set. It is either Bonzo or JPJ, but my money is on Bonzo. Jimmy sounds quite different (check out a live verson of Whole Lotta Love).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On the studio recording of Thank You there is a very prominent harmony backing vocal. This doesn't sound like Plant at all. In some places Robert sounds very unsure of himself, and nearly drops out completely, leaving the sound of the harmony vocalist very high in the mix. Most unusual for Led Zeppelin I'd say. So who sang it? Was is Page or John Paul Jones, or somebody else?

Adam

i am damn sure it was jpj...jimmy absolutly hated to sing back up and actually i've heard on "communication breakdown" at the end when he sings bakc up going "communication breakdown" during recording he would put the guitar fret board in front of the microphone hoping they wouldnt notice you couldnt hear him....and if you have heard jpj talk he has a really soft voice and the backing vocals in the song are very soft...bonzo and the other hand had a ruff voice

• 1 month later...

Adam

I completely agree with the theory that it is Bonzo. he seemss to do the most background singing and Jimmy barely does any. it could be JPJ but I really think it is Bonzo

In Bonham by Bonham there is an interview with JPJ where he says something along the lines of, "Drummers always know the lyrics. If ever you need to know the lyrics to a song, ask the drummer."

Archived