15 August 1979:In Through The Out Door: 30 years on!

Zoso94T

Another great album by Zep,In Through The Out Door,does not contain the hard rock elements of the previous albums,but it seems that it was a progressive rock approach.Written mostly by Jonesy and Plant,it's the only album that contains the only two original Zeppelin songs,(All My Love,and South Bound Saurez),which were not co-written by Jimmy.

Also famous for the six different sleeves,and the bag package by Hipgnosis(who won the 1980 Grammy award for the best alboum package),which did not allow the buyer to know the album sleeve he bought!

Mixed reviews were recieved,both by fans and critics.I would like to know your opinion about that great(for me at least) album.

Track list:

1) In The Evening (one of the greatest Zep songs for sure) B)

2) South Bound Saurez

3) Fool In The Rain

4) Hot Dog (rock n roll the Zep way!)

5) Carouselambra

6) All My Love (Another great Zep song)

7) I'm Gonna Crawl

What's your opinion about that album?

The LP has grown on me through the years.....

I like all of the songs better now, with the exception of In the Evening, which I favored the most early on because it was more of a big hard rocker. But now, ITE is just one of the many songs from that album.

South Bound Suarez, I'm Gonna Crawl, All Of My Love, and Carouselambra are my favorites today. :)

Another great album by Zep,In Through The Out Door,does not contain the hard rock elements of the previous albums,but it seems that it was a progressive rock approach.Written mostly by Jonesy and Plant,it's the only album that contains the only two original Zeppelin songs,(All My Love,and South Bound Saurez),which were not co-written by Jimmy.

Also famous for the six different sleeves,and the bag package by Hipgnosis(who won the 1980 Grammy award for the best alboum package),which did not allow the buyer to know the album sleeve he bought!

Mixed reviews were recieved,both by fans and critics.I would like to know your opinion about that great(for me at least) album.

Track list:

1) In The Evening (one of the greatest Zep songs for sure) B)

2) South Bound Saurez

3) Fool In The Rain

4) Hot Dog (rock n roll the Zep way!)

5) Carouselambra

6) All My Love (Another great Zep song)

7) I'm Gonna Crawl

I love this album. I even like Hot Dog (reminds me a little of Elvis roots) Can you imagine not having I'm Gonna Crawl or All My Love or In The Evening....then the sassy South Bound Suarez, the gentleness of Fool In The Rain, or the up beat rythm of Carouselambra. Love them all!

I'm listen to them all now in order, currently I'm listening to Fool In The Rain. Personally I think the best three songs from ITTOD are In The Evening, All My Love & I'm Gonna Crawl.

Haha,these are my favourites too!!! :D

I love this album! And, I actually like Hot Dog too, Deborah. This is the only LZ album I actually purchased with my own money. I was 14 when it came out and walked to the record store with my boyfriend at the time to purchase it. Of course I own all of the CDs now, but this is the only one I have in vinyl. I'll have to go pull it out and look at it. I'm getting all nostalgic thinking back!

I'm a big LZ fan, but I have generally considered ITTOD to have been a mediocre effort (by LZ's lofty standards). It has grown on me though, and I think that since ITTOD sounds so different than the rest of LZ's catalog it really does add depth to their body of work when considered as a whole. It's impressive how dramatic an evolution of sound took place for LZ during the course of a single decade..the same band that gave us songs like "Ramble On" and "Good Times Bad Times" also gave us "Carouselambra" and "Fool In The Rain".

From time to time I like to listen to ITTOD in its entirety on my mp3 player - with a slight twist. I substitute the song "Darlene" for "South Bound Saurez" because I think that would have made for a better mix.

In The Evening/Darlene/Fool In The Rain/Hot Dog/Carouselambra/All My Love/I'm Gonna Crawl

It'll always have a place in my heart as it was the only one I got to look forward to (release date) as a fan. At the time it didn't hit me as any kind of departure from their overall sound, as I had been discovering that they didn't have a lot of musical limits.

Great Album, definately underrated simply because of the synths which has always annoyed me when people call it a weak effort. "Carouselambra", along with "In The Light" another synth number, is an epic song that doesnt get its due because its not a guitar track. I will take either song over "Achilles" any day of the week. The whole albums great, reminds me of HOTH in a weird way.

I love this album! And, I actually like Hot Dog too, Deborah. This is the only LZ album I actually purchased with my own money. I was 14 when it came out and walked to the record store with my boyfriend at the time to purchase it. Of course I own all of the CDs now, but this is the only one I have in vinyl. I'll have to go pull it out and look at it. I'm getting all nostalgic thinking back!

Hello Gigi!

I had a great time listening to ITTOD a few times yesterday, I swithed between the album and the CD. I still love to play vinyls:-)

I think today will be a PG day. Just in the mood for Custard Pie, Kashmire, In The light, just to name a few. Every album they have is phenomenal in it's own right.

It is definitely a "different type" of Zep album than the others, the most experimental in other genres of music along side "House of the Holy."

For me, it could have been better if it included the outtakes (which would push close to the 30 minute limit of each side of vinyl).

And then maybe with a running order of:

IN THE EVENING

DARLENE

HOT DOG

I'M GONNA CRAWL

FOOL IN THE RAIN

CAROUSELAMBRA

OZONE BABY

SOUTH BOUND SUAREZ

WEARING AND TEARING

ALL MY LOVE (without the fade-out but the additional 1:30 or so of additional music originally edited out)

I remember the day that the album came out. At 8:30am that morning, the local rock station had a rep from the record co. there to air the album ---in it's entirety---. I got up and listened, but that early in the morning, was not usually my best time of the day to absorb new music. Those memories are bitter-sweet, because of course, I did not get to see them tour with that album in the US.

What could have been...

What could be ....

^ I kind of shudder to think of what Jimmy's playing would have been like though... Judging from the 1980 tour, sure he had his moments but he was not really that great at all. Just listen to SIBLY or White Summer from 1980. It is really staggering how much his playing declined in the course of seven or so years.

I also think that Jimmy might have not even survived that tour, he looked like he had just been freed from a concentration camp from about '77-'82.

It's a poor album. On release i was there at 9.00am, rushed home and listened non-stop for the next month.

Listening now it sounds very mediocre, the sound of a band that really had run it's course. Zeppelin in the 80's would've been nothing short of an embrassment without a MAJOR rethink and shake-up in attitude.

It's like RP says...it was of it's time and that time has now gone. The original body of work stands alone as by far the finest in rock history. This album doesnt deserve to stand with the others, though.

It's a poor album. On release i was there at 9.00am, rushed home and listened non-stop for the next month.

Listening now it sounds very mediocre, the sound of a band that really had run it's course. Zeppelin in the 80's would've been nothing short of an embrassment without a MAJOR rethink and shake-up in attitude.

It's like RP says...it was of it's time and that time has now gone. The original body of work stands alone as by far the finest in rock history. This album doesnt deserve to stand with the others, though.

sorry, i disagree

even zeps best album, have moments were some songs just dont measure up to the rest of the album. ITTOD, is no different, there are 20 minutes of music that stands up there with the best zep ever commited to posterity (for me: in the evening, all of my love, i'm gonna crawl), and 20 minutes that is still good, and listenable. i wouldn't go as as far to say its their poorest effort, id resrve, that for houses of the holy, only two really top zepplein moments on that album, and the whole of the 2nd side sounds average by thier standards. still enjoy listening to it, mind.

My favorite track on ITTOD is Carouslembra. John Paul Jones took the band in a new and very exciting direction. Zeppelin was always about evolution in it's music and this driving track proved it.

i was telling my girlfriend the other day how "Im gonna crawl" is perfect, in a really sad way, to end that album and the Zep career, its such a "hangover" song for the past 11 years and fits so well, if you listen to that song with some montage of zep pics through their career it really moves me, great song anyway

the album on a whole is cool, its Zep after all, i only have it on vinyl so its a pain in the arse to keep getting it outta the brown paper bag lol x

Archived